Hello from Southampton, UK

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
wwa

Hello from Southampton, UK

#1 Post by wwa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 pm

I must admit that I've been fascinated by all things optical, from my first pair of binoculars when I was 12, swiftly followed by a cheapo Tasco refractor telescope a few years later. I got into photography not long after I was married and still in fact enjoy this, although now with digital it is so much easier.

My first Microscope was a Biolam D10 that I bought new in a local photographic shop (City Photographic) in 1979, which I soon added a binocular attachment and a darkfield condenser to. I was particularly fascinated by anything that lived in freshwater ponds and still am to this day. I bought a second hand Olympus SZ-III Stereo microscope 10 years ago for lower magnifications, which is a fantastic 'scope.

I am now retired and have more time on my hands to enjoy all my hobbies, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who enjoys microscopy, so I would be really interested in meeting like-minded microscope users within a reasonable distance of Southampton, to share experiences and knowledge of what is such a fascinating subject.

Wayne

mrsonchus

Re: Hello from Southampton, UK

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi Wayne!
You made it old chap! Welcome to this fine forum.
You're in a very good place here to share your enjoyment of microscopy.

John B. :)
John B

grgh4

#3 Post by grgh4 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:27 am

Wayne

welcome from Lancashire
Just a thought should you still have a Library to hand, an enquiry at the desk might elicit some help ref local contacts.
Your university will also have a contact that might be able to help.

I would recommend The postal Microscopy group, this will show up fellow enthusiast, a lot of meetings around your area, quarterly
magazine, "the Balsam post" and a box of slides every month for viewing.
Yes an annual subscription, but well worth this.
hope you keep up the hobby.

Regards
George
Regards.. George

ChrisR

#4 Post by ChrisR » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:47 pm

I remember when there were several camera shops in Southampton. One on Bargate Street, one in Commercial Road and one Below Bar. That was before Tecno, LCE and the rest arrived.
I suggest you look now at the Quekett Microscopical Society. meetings are dotted about.
Recently I drove two folks from Surrey to near Swanage, for one meeting, going close to So'ton.
Last edited by ChrisR on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwa

#5 Post by wwa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Thank you guys, much appreciated :)

I will investigate the various avenues you mention to find others with an interest in microscopy.
I'm sure there are a few in my area, it's just a matter of knowing where.

Thanks again

Wayne

photomicro

#6 Post by photomicro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:19 pm

There are PMS members living in Less, Petersfield and Lymington. I am sure there are several more within a reasonable distance. There are a couple on the Isle of Wight, and several around the Bournemouth region. Indeed, there has just been a day meeting at Langton Maltravers.

PM me if you want further details of the PMS.

wwa

#7 Post by wwa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:23 pm

I believe as a new member, I am unable to send private messages and I can't see anywhere to enable this.
However, if you can send me a PM with your email contained within, I will contact you :)

Robert Henriques

#8 Post by Robert Henriques » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:23 am

Hello Guys! I'm from USA. Very Glad to be here. I'm a lifetime learner and want to learn more and more day by day.I'm also an Archery and Hunting Lover.

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Welcome to all!..

BillT