Hello from Buffalo, NY

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
dpreneta

Hello from Buffalo, NY

#1 Post by dpreneta » Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Hello everyone...David here. Microscopy falls into my love of optics as my main interests include astronomy/astrophotography and film/digital photography. Other interests include woodworking, watercolor/sketching, gardening, road/mountain biking...just to name a few. So this is just another hobby I'll have to squeeze in time for...who needs sleep anyway?

I've recently purchased a Nikon S microscope in quite good condition for $75.00 which includes two sets of eyepieces (5x and 10x) and achromat objectives (4, 10, 40 and 100x). I also upgraded to a RetroDiode LED illuminator after asking for some options in the forum section here. After gently cleaning the optics I can say I'm really happy with this scope. I don't have a filter holder but made one of those DIY thin plastic dark field filters which honestly came out well...as my main interests here are protozoa and plant cells. I'm also interested in upgrading the 10 and 40x to Plan objectives so I'm looking around for some used ones as well.

Like others I drool over some of the scopes people have posted here. But for just getting back into this, having other hobbies that cost me and being able to put a vintage/classic scope back to work is fine with me.

I've attached a few pics of my scope for your viewing pleasure.

Anyway...that's my story and I appreciate the helpful responses I've received in a couple of my forum posts.

Cheers!...David.
Attachments
Nikon S microscope 1.JPG
Nikon S microscope 1.JPG (138.95 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
Nikon S microscope 2.JPG
Nikon S microscope 2.JPG (138.93 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
Nikon S microscope 3.JPG
Nikon S microscope 3.JPG (138.82 KiB) Viewed 3973 times

billbillt

Re: Hello from Buffalo, NY

#2 Post by billbillt » Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi David,

Welcome!... That is a fine old Nikon you have...Would like to see photos of some of your work...

Regards,
BillT

75RR

Re: Hello from Buffalo, NY

#3 Post by 75RR » Fri May 17, 2019 11:53 am

Welcome. Always nice to see photos of a well made microscope
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)