Hello from Dublin, Ireland

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
RichieT

Hello from Dublin, Ireland

#1 Post by RichieT » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 am

Hi All,

I have just joined the forum, after watching many of Kim's videos on Youtube. Fantastic guy, fantastic hobby. He really got me interested in microscopy. After doing some research, i decided to purchase an AmScope M162C compound microscope with some tools and whatnot for slide prep.
Has any of you have experience with this particular scope, if so, what are your opinion about it? Can the stage be replaced with a mechanical one if i want to? Also, is this scope capable of dark field in any way? For starters i will be using the microscope to observe everything i can find around the house and the garden, but i am mostly interested in water life and insects.
Also, I am looking for some recommendations for mounting materials for permanent slides that is commonly available. There are many options out there and i am confused somewhat. I you could give me some recommendation on that, too, would be great.

Any advice/information is welcome.

MicroBob

Re: Hello from Dublin, Ireland

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Richie,
welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will get help here for your start into microscopy.
To replace the whole stage would be a major project, but there are object guides that sit on top of the stage.
Dark field will be possible with a diy dark field stop for the two weaker objectives. The 25x eyepiece is just a marketing gag, it gives more magnification but not more resolution.
Life in Ponds is still active so you might take a twig, leave or some mud and have a look what you find.

Bob

Dave S

#3 Post by Dave S » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Richie, and welcome :)

Btw, some non mechanical stages have pre-drilled and tapped holes ready to take a commonly available adjuster, to both hold the slide in position, and move it both laterally, back and forth. From what I remember, they are not expensive.
Suffolk, UK

RichieT

#4 Post by RichieT » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 pm

thank you very much for your responses. I am really looking forward to receiving and setting up my microscope. As you may have guessed already, i am working on a tight budget, but looking to expand as much as possible if this is something i want to pursue more.

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi Richie,
for microscopy it is valuable to have access to a lot of imformation - this is taken care of by the internet today.
The instrument can be quite simple and still allow to observe a lot of things.

Bob