Hello from Russia

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
timurkhaz

Hello from Russia

#1 Post by timurkhaz » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi, my name is Timur. Im from St. Petersburg, Russia.
Due to the bad climate, I switched from astronomy to microscopy:) I bought my first microscope few months ago :) Its older than me, I think it was made in USSR in 1980 or earlier :D But it has never been used (it was stored for decades in a warehouse :D) I will be glad to meet everyone, have a nice day! :)
ImageMy Soviet microscope) made in 1980 or earlier :D by Timur khaz, on Flickr

75RR

Re: Hello from Russia

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Always liked the look of the Biolam, and indeed Lomo microscopes in general. Yours looks to be in pristine condition.

I take it you are using a mirror for illumination? What lamp are you using?

Are you familiar with this page in Micscape: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ource.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Dave S

#3 Post by Dave S » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Timur, and welcome :)
Suffolk, UK

timurkhaz

#4 Post by timurkhaz » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:23 pm

75RR wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 pm
Always liked the look of the Biolam, and indeed Lomo microscopes in general. Yours looks to be in pristine condition.

I take it you are using a mirror for illumination? What lamp are you using?

Are you familiar with this page in Micscape: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ource.html
I use powerful flashlight, point at the mirror. But now I wait for the lamp from aliexpress.
They still sell many brand-new LOMO microscopes in Russia. I.bought mine for $100.
Attachments
-383938573900059249.jpg
-383938573900059249.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 5756 times

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:53 am

Hi Timor,
welcome to the forum!
You have showed already some nice results and it is nice to see that you are having such a good start into microscopy.
The Biolam is a good microscope for which a lot of accessories are available used an new old stock. You have the later version with the "disc" type fine adjustment that has the advantage of being nearly undestructable. The Biolam is a modernized version of th Zeiss Jena LG, a groundbreaking microscope when new in 1934. At the end of WW 2 Jena fell into russian territory after being reached first bey the americans. The americans deported the management and scientists and the russian the complete rest, machines, man and mouse. From this a microscope production was built up and the Zeiss designs were used for several more decades. But LOMO also designed a lot of very special stuff themselves and the program was very extensive. Here is a link to a huge archive about LOMO stuff:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... _LH_0xEPks
Much is in german, but at least you know what to look for in russian language.
This here shows most of the Biolam system: http://www.mikroskopfreunde-nordhessen. ... -Start.pdf

The condenser has a swing in lens that is used depending on the type of illuminator. The perfect light source would be a Köhler-lamp but simpler light sources will do.
Your images show that your lighting setup works well, so make sure it doesn't suffer when you change something (this can easily be overlooked).

For plancton a Lomo Apo 20:1 0,65 would be nice to have. Always be a bit careful when buying, some of the "new old stock" is actually "new old scrap" that has been pushed back and forth for 30 years.

Bob

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 am

timurkhaz wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:23 pm

I use powerful flashlight, point at the mirror. But now I wait for the lamp from aliexpress.
A lamp such as the one below, in which the bulb filament can be focused and that incorporates a diaphragm, will allow you to achieve Köhler.

Link to interactive tutorial to practice Köhler: http://zeiss-campus.magnet.fsu.edu/tuto ... flash.html
Attachments
Zeiss Jena Lamp.jpg
Zeiss Jena Lamp.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

timurkhaz

#7 Post by timurkhaz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Thank you all :)

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Welcome! I have a few LOMO microscopes myself.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB