A new enthusiastic "newbie"

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
DonKaryote

A new enthusiastic "newbie"

#1 Post by DonKaryote » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Hello there !

I live in France and I have a bachelor in biology. Unfortunately I could not continue studying toward a master (and more) for various reasons. I am however quite motivated to continue exploring the field since it is something that I was always been passionate about.

So basically I'm going to invest myself in DIY biology as much as I can and I need to learn lots of things, including microscopy.
I have some knowledge about the principles of microscopy and some basic practical knowledge thanks to my bachelor so I'm not starting from scratch but not that far either :)

First things first, I need to acquire a microscope and for that I hope I can get some advices. I'm gonna post at once in the Beginner's corner.

Looking forward to exchange with all of you.

EDIT : Here's the Topic I have just made regarding the choice of my microscope :
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=828

JimT

Re: A new enthusiastic "newbie"

#2 Post by JimT » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. I see you already have some responses to your post in Beginners Corner. I recommend you check out the home page of this site. There is some good input regarding buying choices.
One suggestion I can offer is (depending on your budget) you may want to start with a less expensive first purchase and after you have gained some experience upgrade to a final scope with all the features you desire.
Good luck.

Mintaka

#3 Post by Mintaka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:25 am

Welcome DonKaryote! :) I agree that, unless money is no object, a well made basic scope offering

- a monocular tube fitted with a 10x ocular
- 4x, 10x and 40x acromatic objectives
- a mechanical (X-Y) stage
- built in incandescent illumination
- condenser with iris and filter holder

is good value, even when purchased new. China churns out several varieties of these, and I was pleasantly surprised with my own no name brand, which I bought new for only slightly more than the price of an entry level mountain bike. There is very little that such a scope will not show fairly well, and it is small enough to take along on holiday.

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Only thing I would recommend is binocular Vs. monocular. Much less eye fatigue.