Greetings from Florida

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
AntoniScott

Greetings from Florida

#1 Post by AntoniScott » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:41 pm

I am new to this web site Forum but have been following MicrobeHunter's Youtube Video posts very carefully. They are very informative. My interest in microscopes goes back many years, back to 1961 when I bought my first decent microscope from Lafayette Radio in Newark, New Jersey. Even by today's standards, the image quality was pretty good, good enough to see the nuclei of cells. Eventually I gravitated towards better microscopes. Back in 1961 I began making microscope slides and have always been fascinated by making them, especially whole mounts of insects.

After college and retirement I started all over again and realized how much I have forgotten. Whole mounts of insects, especially fragile mosquitoes, is a real challenge as the insects are so delicate. I have been plagued with bubbles and wonder how professional slide makes make their sldes without bubbles. I am still working on this and will report to this forum if I have discovered a good method. maybe I will even post a video.

One question I have to the Forum is that of drying slides more quickly. I have heard of heating slides. Does anyone know how hot and for how long ? I do not want to damage the specimen with too much heat. I have experimented with 150 degrees Faranheit for about an hour but it all depends on the thickness of the specimen and the thickness of the mounting medium.

Another question is about taking photographs with a digital camera. My image quality is not that good even although my camera is a Nikon D5500 with the small 24 MP sensor. I was wondering what camera would give better results. Some people say I only need 3 or 4 MP, so if that is true then something else is wrong. The camera adapter I use if the 0.5 or 1.0 camera lens adapter from AmScope. They sell cheap stuff but even more expensive adapters do not yield better images. A full frame camera like the Canon 5D (12 megapixels) was hardly better than my Nikon 2/3 sensor. Any help would be appreciated.
Antoni
Attachments
Tick biting mouth part.jpg
Tick biting mouth part.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
Flea A.jpg
Flea A.jpg (74.5 KiB) Viewed 3085 times

Dave S

Re: Greetings from Florida

#2 Post by Dave S » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:18 am

Hi Antoni, and welcome :)
Suffolk, UK

Roldorf

Re: Greetings from Florida

#3 Post by Roldorf » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi Antoni welcome to the forum. Parts of the image you have posted look to be in focus maybe you should try stacking the images so that you get all the parts of your slide in focus. There are many focus stacking software programs you could use some of them free. If you search through the forum there are reviews and recommendations of the various software options. Try the free ones first.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage