Hello from Sweden!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
per_funke

Hello from Sweden!

#1 Post by per_funke » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:42 pm

My working life: 1978-1994, service engineer at Data General and 1994-2015 systems engineer at Örebro University.
My occupation nowadays are programming, photography and wood working.

I bought a Lumipan LPE from a flea market, a month ago, for around $150, in a wooden box an a complete set of lenses.
Everything was stuck and the innards needs cleaning. I have fixed the stickiness, everything moves now.
My main goal is dismantling the thing and cleaning it thoroughly. My idea is that, after that's been done, a can of pressurized air should be enough to keep it clean. This "project" is also why I'm here, maybe more experienced users can stop me before I destroy the microscope in my cleaning frenzy.

It's also interesting to try to master a wholly new field, technically. Optics isn't something I've put my energy into.
I have a couple of blog posts on https://a-zproj.blogspot.com/ about the microscope and a couple of other things.

MicroBob

Re: Hello from Sweden!

#2 Post by MicroBob » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi Per,
welcome to the forum!
The Lumipan is a very nice microscope and on german ebay you can find a lot of parts for it. Here is a repair manuals for the simpler LG: http://www.mikroskopfreunde-nordhessen. ... Lg-Rep.pdf
Generally post 1960 Zeiss Jena microscopes tend to be stuck due to quickly gumming up lubricants (pre 1960 ones are stuck due to age :lol: ). This can only be repaired fully by dismantling cleaning and relubricating them. It helps a lot to remove all optical components and to heat up the stand to around 60°C with a hair dryer or heater for a longer time. Then take it apart as long as it is willing to move.
It is especially important to free up the fine focus fully because the mechanical aadvantage is big enough to overpower stuck guides but the gears can't stand this.
The ring stops in the phase contrast condenser are often fragile, just black paint on glass.

I'm looking forward to see what you will do with your microscope. The memory module on your blog is nice!

Bob

per_funke

#3 Post by per_funke » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Thank you for suggestion! Appreciated!
/Per

WhyMe

#4 Post by WhyMe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:33 pm

per_funke wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:42 pm
My working life: 1978-1994, service engineer at Data General and 1994-2015 systems engineer at Örebro University.
My occupation nowadays are programming, photography and wood working.

I bought a Lumipan LPE from a flea market, a month ago, for around $150, in a wooden box an a complete set of lenses.
Everything was stuck and the innards needs cleaning. I have fixed the stickiness, everything moves now.
My main goal is dismantling the thing and cleaning it thoroughly. My idea is that, after that's been done, a can of pressurized air should be enough to keep it clean. This "project" is also why I'm here, maybe more experienced users can stop me before I destroy the microscope in my cleaning frenzy.

It's also interesting to try to master a wholly new field, technically. Optics isn't something I've put my energy into.
I have a couple of blog posts on https://a-zproj.blogspot.com/ about the microscope and a couple of other things.
Hello and welcome!

per_funke

#5 Post by per_funke » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks!!

I feel good already :0)

zero

#6 Post by zero » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Nice to see a fellow programmer! Welcome!
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:02 pm

Hello and welcome,
So the original lamp of the Lumipan is the 6V/15W. have you tried it with brightfield, darkfield, phase ? my memory about it is to use it at low power, especially to save on bulb life; yet the color temperature of the illumination varies when the supply voltage is varied. I have switched to a LED instead.