Hello! And if you got some advice?

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Smithclr

Hello! And if you got some advice?

#1 Post by Smithclr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:24 pm

I just had one of two microscopes to examine. A SMZ-168 motic and the DRC Zeiss Stemi, not sure the exact number of the models. Both of them are very old. The Motic has 0.75-5.0 variablezoom while Zeiss has two targets, one 0.8 and one 4.0 and one which slide back and forth on a rail. The Zeiss is streamlined and looks better in quality with a brighter light (when you look through), so the only reason I hesitate to take this is that it has only those two stages of enlargement. If I had a second thought, I would definitely take the magnification of the zeiss by 2x.
Keep it by your side at all times so that crystalopedia wiki may protect you throughout the day

WhyMe

Re: Hello! And if you got some advice?

#2 Post by WhyMe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Smithclr wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:24 pm
I just had one of two microscopes to examine. A SMZ-168 motic and the DRC Zeiss Stemi, not sure the exact number of the models. Both of them are very old. The Motic has 0.75-5.0 variablezoom while Zeiss has two targets, one 0.8 and one 4.0 and one which slide back and forth on a rail. The Zeiss is streamlined and looks better in quality with a brighter light (when you look through), so the only reason I hesitate to take this is that it has only those two stages of enlargement. If I had a second thought, I would definitely take the magnification of the zeiss by 2x.
Hello and welcome! I'm not knowledgable enough to answer your question but I'm sure someone will chime in with an answer.

Scarodactyl

Re: Hello! And if you got some advice?

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:47 am

The motic isn't all that old, really. I had one of that model once, it's ok but nothing special. Motic is a Chinese brand, and in spite of improvements over the years still second fiddle at best to established brands from elsewhere. I'd definitely go with the Zeiss over it, lack of zoom and all--the optics are better and it is likely better constructed in general. A zeiss will also likely be easier to sell if you want to upgrade later.