Hello from a Watchmaker (in training) in Germany

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Olumin

Hello from a Watchmaker (in training) in Germany

#1 Post by Olumin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 pm

Hello there,
my name is Kevin and I am currently in the process of becoming a watchmaker in Hamburg, Germany.

I have recently acquired a used (but like new) Olympus VT II stereo microscope from 1978 (including the original transformer and lamp) for the purpose of working on small watch movements and inspecting damaged parts or tools.

Apart from its use in watchmaking, I have found stereo microscopy to be quite a lot of fun.

I have joined this Forum because of a problem regarding the (what I believe to be) dioptre adjustment on my microscope. You will be able to find my question in the "Microscopes and optics" subforum.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

If anyone as any experiences with the VT II (or similar models), please feel free to share them with me. So far, I am very pleased with mine. Quality appears to be great; the image is very crisp and it is very easy to work with. The easy, quick switch from 10X to 20X magnification is very useful for my purposes in watchmaking. I hope this microscope will stay a companion of mine for many years to come.

WhyMe

Re: Hello from a Watchmaker (in training) in Germany

#2 Post by WhyMe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:56 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone will help you soon.

ChrisR

Re: Hello from a Watchmaker (in training) in Germany

#3 Post by ChrisR » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 am

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.
My father and uncle were watchmakers, so it's a craft which has always had a fascination. They both never used more than a loupe clipped to their glasses, though I know uncle had one at 20x which I found while dealing with his tools, parts, catalogues and the rest, I still have his Rolex case openers in my desk drawer, and the old parts catalogues from Longines, Tissot and the rest.

I find I'm unable to see through both eyepieces to get a stereo image, I always see double through a microscope. So perhaps I would be just as restricted in useful optics!