Hello from Nevada!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
zero

Hello from Nevada!

#1 Post by zero » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Hello!

I have recently started microscopy transitioning from photography. I'm a software architect by trade but I like anything that has to do with science and technology. I recently found some unbeatable deals on pre-owned equipment and decided to pull the trigger. This forum and Oliver Kim have been pretty inspirational and I hope that I can create some amazing work and improve my skills over time. Here are some photos of my setup!

An interesting sample I was lucky to stumble upon:
Fern Stem stitched together from 50 frames using a UPlanFL N 10x
Last edited by zero on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

Hobbyst46

Re: Hello from Nevada!

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Hello and welcome,
What a very impressive setup ! A BX60 fluorescence microscope !
Several questions if I may:
is that an Olympus camera ? a DP model ? which software ?
which light source for excitation ? an Hg or Xe lamp ? which is the brightfield lamp ? is there a transmitted light source ?
Is that a fume cupboard on the right side of the microscope ? otherwise, won't vapors from the heated beaker affect the beautiful woodwork ?

zero

#3 Post by zero » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi,

Thank you!

That is a Lumenera Infinity 2-3C. It's not bad and came with the scope. Frankly, I'm surprised it was included as the camera retails for more than I paid for the whole setup. With it, I can use Infinity Analyze 7 which is an awesome piece of software!
The lamp is a USH-102D 100watt mercury lamp. I have a U-MNB cube so far but will probably add more as I become more proficient with using fluorescence.
The brightfield lamp is the U-LH100 with a 100watt halogen lamp. I have an Olympus Aplanat Achromat condenser and the U-PCD for phase. I like to leave the U-PCD in most of the time as I like working with darkfield. However, it can be reconfigured to transmit white light from the top as well
I use the hotplate there for warming paraffin as it seems to keep it perfectly at 56-58C. I don't think the small amounts of paraffin I work with will be damaging (I use a P100 mask for myself just in case).
I do want to get a fume cupboard but I have not found anything for sale that's affordable or would fit. If you have any solutions, I'd love to know. Whenever I deal with formalin or any other chemicals, I usually head to the garage with my P100 mask.
Olympus BX60F - Leitz 1512
https://www.ontheedgeofexistence.com/

WhyMe

#4 Post by WhyMe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forum! Very nice setup you have. And a very nice photo!