Greetings from a new member!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Dmi3n

Greetings from a new member!

#1 Post by Dmi3n » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Good evening everyone! My name is Dmitry, I am 20 years old microscope enthusiast with interests in jewelry, metalworking, chemistry and art. I live in Kaliningrad, Russia (almost Europe). There are not so many microscopists here in Russia so I decided to join this forum. My passion is collecting Carl Zeiss Jena microscopes from 30-s to 60-s, also I know a lot about LOMO microscopes. My current microscopes are Carl Zeiss Jena Nf with 45mm apochromatic objectives set, Phv phase contrast with planachromatic objectives, trinocular head, Pol/DF incident light illuminator and Carl Zeiss Jena Epityp-2 metallographic inverted microscope with D32 microhardness tester and polarised light observations set. I will make more detailed post about them in "My microscope" section. Sometimes I am selling excess parts from my collection as I am trying to keep it more practical. I will be very happy to answer yor questions about LOMO or CZJ microscopes as I made a lot of research about them.
Gear list:
CZJ NfPk and Polmi A w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv, Epi Pol, trinocular
Gamma Hungary 3D-condenser
LOMO ОИ-28 Fluorescence Attachment
Set of Leitz Photar macro lens
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome

PeteM

Re: Greetings from a new member!

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Welcome.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi Dmitry,
welcome to the forum!
The NF is a very nice microscope, a true classic. Have you actually used your micro hardness tester? I would be very interested to see it's application. Once I bought a big box of microscope parts and it included a micro hardness testing unit for the NF, but since it was victim of a flood it was rusted beyond repair.
Once I arranged a group meeting about the material steel and it's properties. Materials science is very interesting and these objects are rarely covered in the microscope community.
What I liked best were polised cuts through welds, brazed areas and welded bolts.

LOMO had a very diverse pallet of microscopes with many specialties and they sold huge amounts of the more common models.

Bob

Dmi3n

#4 Post by Dmi3n » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:59 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:25 pm
Hi Dmitry,
welcome to the forum!
The NF is a very nice microscope, a true classic. Have you actually used your micro hardness tester? I would be very interested to see it's application. Once I bought a big box of microscope parts and it included a micro hardness testing unit for the NF, but since it was victim of a flood it was rusted beyond repair.
Once I arranged a group meeting about the material steel and it's properties. Materials science is very interesting and these objects are rarely covered in the microscope community.
What I liked best were polised cuts through welds, brazed areas and welded bolts.

LOMO had a very diverse pallet of microscopes with many specialties and they sold huge amounts of the more common models.

Bob
Hi, I havent used my microhardness tester in a real work yet because I am still searching for samples with known hardness to check if my tester still shows true results. It was in bad mechanical condition but I was lucky to find another tester with working mechanics, re-grease it and transplant the optics. It took very much time and effort so I want to have a little rest from this project while there is no work for the tester (I am planning to do some studies about hardness of electroplated silver). Once I am done I will post results on this forum.
Gear list:
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome

WhyMe

#5 Post by WhyMe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! We are always glad to see new LOMO people here, at least I am.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Dmi3n

#7 Post by Dmi3n » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm
Hello and welcome to the forum! We are always glad to see new LOMO people here, at least I am.
CE
Hello, thanks for the warm welcome :) Honestly, I prefer Carl Zeiss Jena microscopes over their LOMO analogues, but there are some things that LOMO had which Zeiss hadn't, for example the infamous Lyumam universal luminiscent microscope or their line of water immersion objectives.
Gear list:
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome

Dave S

#8 Post by Dave S » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi Dmitry, and welcome. :)
Suffolk, UK

Rossf

#9 Post by Rossf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:24 am

Hello Dmitry-you have a healthy range of hobbies! I have one Lomo 85x water immersion and it’s pretty good-the front element is so tiny-oh I have the 30x Fluor water with iris-that’s a really nice objective.
Regards ross

Dmi3n

#10 Post by Dmi3n » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 am

Rossf wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:24 am
Hello Dmitry-you have a healthy range of hobbies! I have one Lomo 85x water immersion and it’s pretty good-the front element is so tiny-oh I have the 30x Fluor water with iris-that’s a really nice objective.
Regards ross
Hello! 30x/0.90 is a really nice and hard to find even here, in Russia. You also should try to find 65/1.1 Apo water immersion objective which is often described as the best of water-immersion objectives.
Gear list:
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome