Adding / requiring member locations?

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
PeteM

Adding / requiring member locations?

#1 Post by PeteM » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 pm

Curious how others and Oliver feel about more directly asking that members include their location?

Personally, I think it would be helpful. Gives a hint where samples might have come from, what microscope resources are available in their area, and ideally a bit of global camaraderie.

The specifics could vary according to a member's wish. Berlin > Germany > Euro area? Or, in my case, United States > Western USA > California > Bay Area. Personally, I'd pick "Bay Area" or as I've done "Santa Cruz."

Several other sites require this of their members, and it seems mostly beneficial in my experience. Given the wide range of members here it might be especially useful?

KurtM

Re: Adding / requiring member locations?

#2 Post by KurtM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:54 am

Having location makes all the difference in the world to me. It always annoys me when it is not given as it amounts to missing information, and I'm always much more interested and appreciative when it is.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:34 am

I can understand the utility of having that information, but at the same time it can lead to leaks of personal information one might not wish to share. As part of my career I deal with data loss and accidental information leaks which can be very hard to avoid, so I can see why some might not wish to share that information with the internet at large. I would not want that to be a requirement; it forces one to choose bewteen giving up information they may not want to divulge, not joining due to the requirement, or entering false information, for a very negligible benefit for the forum in general. People should feel free to share what they are comfortable with, but they should not be compelled to in order to participate in discussions.
Just my opinion.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:08 am

My thought that people could pick a location they were comfortable with; but still be urged to put something even if as general as North American, Europe, or Asia. Would that satisfy the concern some users might have for privacy?

DTSH - as someone who we currently only know is somewhere on earth, would something a bit more specific be a problem? I'd think that repressive countries already pretty much know who's using the Internet and the Googles and Facebooks will pretty much know elsewhere? Serious question - I'd like us to know our members better, but not at their expense.

Roldorf

#5 Post by Roldorf » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:12 am

Well said DTSH I fully agree, no need to know a members location at all.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

wporter

#6 Post by wporter » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 pm

I certainly can appreciate both perspectives: the desire for some anonymity on the part of the poster, yet the frustration of readers who wonder "where the heck are you posting from?"

Many posters, especially neophytes who are asking for advice on a possible purchase, are strongly encouraged to add at least the country they live in; this is very pertinent to responding with cogent advice (indeed, not wasting a lot of skull-sweat in trying to render aid, when later it turns out the poster is totally remote from you and your knowedge of microscope markets).

Also, in general, it is of great interest to many of us to know the country of origin. Not only does it help engender a sense of planetary community, but decreases the tendency for the more provincial posters to feel that their region 'owns' the forum.

But, it surely should be voluntary.

dtsh

#7 Post by dtsh » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:17 am

PeteM wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:08 am
My thought that people could pick a location they were comfortable with; but still be urged to put something even if as general as North American, Europe, or Asia. Would that satisfy the concern some users might have for privacy?

DTSH - as someone who we currently only know is somewhere on earth, would something a bit more specific be a problem? I'd think that repressive countries already pretty much know who's using the Internet and the Googles and Facebooks will pretty much know elsewhere? Serious question - I'd like us to know our members better, but not at their expense.
You presume I am on Earth, it's the most likely, certainly. As part of an honest response I'd like to ask a question, how does knowing my location alter the functionality of my microscope or yours? I can see where it is helpful to know the location a specimen came from for those seeking ID, though I note my location is only relevant if its the same. I can see where a general location might help when referring people to vendors/sources for purchasing equipment and materials. I can imagine a number of other situations where it might be handy to have a locale to reference, but I feel that if the person's query doesn't involve any amount of regional information, why does it matter if I am your neighbor, on the other side of the planet, orbiting in the ISS, or on an ocean voyage?

As for the social media concern, I don't use any of that so it's not much of a risk/concern for me. You're free to think I'm silly, paranoid, or whatever; I promise I take no offense, but this is how I am comfortable operating, so it is what I do. I don't make demands of you, please don't make demands of me.

For argument's sake, let's say I am in the outskirts of Imperial, Texas, USA. Be that true or false, how does that change anything for this discussion? If it doesn't, why require it?

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:39 am

dtsh wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:17 am
. ..
For argument's sake, let's say I am in the outskirts of Imperial, Texas, USA. Be that true or false, how does that change anything for this discussion? If it doesn't, why require it?
There are a few things that get better with location. If actually in Texas, some or our Texas members might volunteer their assistance. In the UK, a member might point to a local interest group. Anywhere in Germany, one might want to know MicroBob. And it's kind of cool to know we have members from Japan to Iran.

Another example might be a Texas-located member who really wanted a sample of diatoms from the Pacific Ocean. And I wanted an obsolete part. Because we knew each others' locations he knew that shipping between states was a viable option -- and also that I might be delighted to collect some Pacific Ocean diatoms in return. A win for both of us, made possible by knowing locations.

A common case is when someone fresh to the forum asks "what microscope should I buy" or "how to I fix this problem"? A very big part of the answer is what is available in one's own area. The impetus for this thread was that I try to help others with microscope questions, but not knowing if it's Africa, Europe, the US or whatever half the advice is wasted. I was getting tired of trying to be helpful -- and considering if I should just stop spending that bit of my time.

Ultimately, of course, this is Oliver's forum and his choice. The question was posed precisely to find out how others felt about it. My own feeling is that asking members to put whatever of geographic specificity they felt comfortable with could lead to a bit bitter experience.

I do "get" that you aren't comfortable sharing your location.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:49 am

Amateur Radio/Ham Radio was all about being able to talk to someone beyond our everyday horizon.

It made the world bigger and yet also somehow friendlier.

One would think that the internet would be similar but it seems to have created a place that is colder and increasingly impersonal.

This is probably due in part to all of society going online - the good, the bad and the ugly.

I for one am never comfortable with sites that require personal information, be it age, profession or location.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:02 am

dtsh wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:17 am
The microscope market, new and used, sources for supplies and widely used techniques differ a lot from place to place.
If I told you:" Farben-Klaus can supply you with W3A Sim and Leica blades for the SHK-holder" you probably wouldn't understand the meaning. If you were a german microscopist with a bit of experience you would understand this without problem.

I have added a bit of location to my profile btw.. But I can understand if people don't want to do this, there are reasons.

Bob

jfiresto

#11 Post by jfiresto » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 pm

75RR wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:49 am
... One would think that the internet would be similar [to Amateur Radio/Ham Radio] but it seems to have created a place that is colder and increasingly impersonal.

This is probably due in part to all of society going online - the good, the bad and the ugly....
It certainly used to be much more collegial, but that disappeared as the network became more public and less tight knit.

It was typical into the early 1990s to put your work address and phone number in your signature. And to let people "finger" you: to let them know your whereabouts and when you had last read your email.
-John

Malpi

#12 Post by Malpi » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am

PeteM wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 pm
Curious
Several other sites require this of their members,
" require" , , who is going to set up the verification structure ? !
I am happy to say I am in England, even that I am in SW England if that assists micro/bio clarification
but how do y'all know that I speak not with forked tongue !
there is a whole world of conspiracy & misdirection therein. :!:
Last edited by Malpi on Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 am, edited 6 times in total.

MichaelG.

#13 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:58 am

I think the general Pros & Cons have been covered appropriately ... but I would also like to share this warning that I posted recently on another forum:
Having an interest in such things ... I was delighted to see this book about Microfossils available as a free download: **LINK**

https://www.academia.edu/10216396/MICROFOSSIL-BRAISER

However ... I was surprised [nay, shocked] when I clicked the

Download with Google button

This invites you to sign-in with your gmail address ... and then [a couple of layers down] warns that:

This app wants permission to:

See and make a copy of your Google Contacts
Your contacts may include the names, phone numbers, addresses and other info about the people that you know.

Which seems rather a big price to pay

MichaelG.

Please be wary

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#14 Post by 75RR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Your contacts may include the names, phone numbers, addresses and other info about the people that you know.
A worthwhile caution on downloading apps but hardly on a par to stating your location.

Just to put everyone's mind at rest, PeteM has not suggested that we publish our bank account and PIN number! :)

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:59 pm

75RR wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:47 pm

A worthwhile caution on downloading apps but hardly on a par to stating your location.
It doesn’t involve downloading an App as such ... Merely using one’s existing Google account to initiate download of a PDF file from a site with the apparently innocent name of academia.edu
I just wanted to show one of the many dangers ... Your location, together with locations of friends, family, etc. and possibly much more, may [depending on how you use it] be included in your Google Contacts.

Do you feel this is drifting too far off-topic ??

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#16 Post by 75RR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Do you feel this is drifting too far off-topic ??
Only in the sense that the topic is not how scary the internet can be,

but rather ... 'is stating the country you are residing in necessarily problematic and does this perception outweigh the potential benefits.'