Hi from Dennis

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Dennis

Hi from Dennis

#1 Post by Dennis » Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Well....

In March I was out of work for a month with a medical problem and thought about the "Visible Man model" and looked it up on Amazon.com. I was thinking "I do not even know much about my body in ways." Well one thing led to another and I remembered the Sears chemistry set and microscope I had gotten for Christmas when I was in 4th grade. I didn't use the scope much and my chemistry experiments bordered on dangerous possibly. (Let's try mixing these ones.)

Well I web searched microscopes and wham as soon as I saw microscopes hooked to USB cameras and you could view it on your computer screen I was hooked! I sent away for a AmScope.

So far- 100% of the time I use the camera with the computer screen view. I have been doing videos of birdbath, and local lake and creek water samples. I am having issues with my current scope like the objectives (10X is OK but need other objectives in that closer ball park) Also- If you are not using the compound eyepieces it is different what you need for objectives for your use. Etc...

I Love to see new creatures I never even knew existed and to watch their behavior!

I got a older scope or 2 coming from Ebay now for reasonable price as well.

I will post pics in the forum of stuff but please don't expect "high rez pricey parts pics but just standard images.

Thanks all, and I will ask some questions because it looks like the place to ask. Thanks for Josh for telling me about this forum.

-Dennis (NJ, USA)

Crater Eddie

Re: Hi from Dennis

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed May 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Welcome Dennis! This is a great forum with lots of friendly helpful folks.
We love pictures here, they don't have to be fancy schmanzy.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Wed May 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Same here. Welcome Dennis.

I also have an Amscope and have added and upgraded objectives. What model did you buy? I can share with you what I did and my satisfaction.

Dennis

#4 Post by Dennis » Wed May 13, 2015 5:05 pm

JimT-
AmScopeM120C-2L-PB10 with the 5 mp camera. I have issues with the screw which holds the turrent coming loose.

If anyone has a AmScope and never had the turrent screw come loose, I am thinking maybe at the factory they put the washer or whatever on wrong. (something stupid like that) which would fix it.
Thoughts?

-Den

Dale

#5 Post by Dale » Wed May 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Welcome Dennis, you will find the smartest and most respectful members of any forum. They have politely
answered my dumbest questions, and helped me get started on the right path.
You should have a 10X and a 25X eyepiece, according to the advertising. The customer service from Amscope
is exceptional.
By chance what scopes did you get from Ebay? I've been scouring their site for some time. It is a risky place
to buy something as delicate as a microscope. Many sellers have no idea what they are selling, or will outright
lie. If you link the ad chances are very good someone here can give you some pertinent questions to ask
the seller. If you have some idea of what you want there is an equipment section you can use.
My background is very similar to yours. I had my chemistry gradepoint dropped for making a delicate explosive!
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Looks like a good starter scope. By all means contact Amscope and explain your problem. They do offer excellent customer service and support.

Dennis

#7 Post by Dennis » Thu May 14, 2015 4:35 am

I contacted AmScope and they said they will tell their factory of the problem I had.

I am getting a Nikon scope off Ebay for about 138. They look them over and test them they said.

-Den

Dale

#8 Post by Dale » Thu May 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Are you looking at the one from Tincanindustries? They are about an hour away from me, and I would be glad
to run up and look the scope over. This place is a motorsports store, but you get 2 weeks money back.
I am not by any means a qualified microscopist, but I could set it up and feel it out.
Dale

Dennis

#9 Post by Dennis » Fri May 15, 2015 4:25 am

Dale, yes. It is on its way now. I bought one.
BTW I wouldn't want you to go that far, plus it is not a extreme amt. of cash- 138.
-Dennis

Dale

#10 Post by Dale » Fri May 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Piffle, an hour is nothing to help a fellow microscopist. I was surprised to see anybody re-selling microscopes in my
part of the country. Have to keep an eye on them, maybe some bargains in the future.
Enjoy your new glass, it looks nice.
Dale

Dennis

#11 Post by Dennis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:39 pm

http://densdoor.angelfire.com/Microscope/

I made a webpage about my microscope adventures.

-Dennis

Charles

#12 Post by Charles » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Dennis, Nice start to your microscope website! Enjoyed your progress.

Dennis

#13 Post by Dennis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Charles, its not a start, that's all basically. I was just trying to get some friends into it.
-Dennis

JimT

#14 Post by JimT » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:46 am

Dennis, I hope you will continue to post your experiences. At first I thought "Like who cares" but after reading and enjoying it I thought keep it up. We have all had similar experiences.

Dennis

#15 Post by Dennis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:23 am

JimT

One thing I notice is it tends in the forums to be is "Here is a image stack of 10 layers, background fixed up nice, look at that great pic."
I want to know "Does this one buddy around with that species? Do they hear? Do they form friendships? " I had a fish tank for 7 years and watched them at times and do not see this as all that different.

I cut stuff from my webpage like buying Plan objectives and building another scope. Maybe some do not have much money and what is really needed isn't that. I know there are higher levels than me of equipment which I have to say I have good enough stuff. Some like different things. Some like the German scopes. I think I like the Japanese ones and advise friends to try American Optical.

I am in that 50s age group where people I know got the Sears microscopes for Christmas as kids. I got one guy so far at work back into it, and another guy from my old job interested. MOST looked at my first videos the first week then that was it. They were sort of done with it while I went on to 2 hr. sleep nights several times etc...

I think single cell gets underated- I never can understand that- Single cell?? Well it has eyes, All the brain thought going to eyes. Here I am entering this area. There is that such and such distance to the left, and on and on. Our brains for instance - You enter a room -thousands of computers could not hold that input of 15 seconds. well etc.. They have stomachs, can move....

That's all get another coffee!
-Dennis

gekko

#16 Post by gekko » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Very nice start with your website/blog. I fully agree with JimT: please keep it going.

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:42 pm

One thing I notice is it tends in the forums to be is "Here is a image stack of 10 layers, background fixed up nice, look at that great pic."
I want to know "Does this one buddy around with that species? Do they hear? Do they form friendships? " I had a fish tank for 7 years and watched them at times and do not see this as all that different.
Sounds like micro-aquariums may appeal to you.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... rium1.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Dennis

#18 Post by Dennis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:22 pm

OK I didn't know people would like me adding so much to it. I added some better advice.

Also I might get a regular aquarium again (small) when it nears winter time so I have critter access.

-Dennis