Hello from Hong Kong

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Sir

Hello from Hong Kong

#1 Post by Sir » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:17 am

Hi everyone!

I've recently picked up microscopy as a hobby and got my first microscope around a month ago (AmScope T490B-DK). I've really enjoyed observing pond life specimens and hope to share some photos & videos once I've figured out what I'm doing. I'd like to give a big thanks to Oliver for his YouTube videos and website, it really has been an invaluable resource as a new learner. I look forward to having discussions with all the professionals and hobbyists here :)

daruosha

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

#2 Post by daruosha » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:56 am

Welcome to the forum Sir.
Daruosh.

littleelyssa

#3 Post by littleelyssa » Thu May 14, 2020 6:32 am

nice to meet you. I'm also new here. Specifications of AmScope T490B-DK always make me satisfied, can you share where it is sold?
2 player games

Sir

#4 Post by Sir » Sat May 16, 2020 8:39 am

littleelyssa wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:32 am
nice to meet you. I'm also new here. Specifications of AmScope T490B-DK always make me satisfied, can you share where it is sold?
2 player games
Welcome to the forum!

I bought mine from Amazon since they offer free shipping to most countries. Unfortunately they're not shipping it to most places right now due to COVID-19, I was lucky enough to order it just before that. I know you can buy it directly from AmScope as well but you'll need to pay a little extra for shipping.

I absolutely love the T490B and there's a few things worth noting about it:
1) On Amazon the image of the vertical camera mount is slightly different. You'll actually receive the one I linked on the AmScope page. I asked them about this, and they confirmed it's because the twisting camera mount is no longer available, so you'll get one that slides up and down instead. I've found no issues using it though.
2) The microscope comes with regular achromatic objectives which are great for general viewing, but if you intend on doing any imaging it would be worth upgrading to plan objectives. The plan objectives are more expensive, but AmScope might be able to swap these out for you before you order to reduce the price. I've just ordered some plan objectives separately and I'll post some image comparisons once they arrive.
3) The input voltage is 110V, so if you live in a country with a higher power standard (e.g. 220V) then you'll need a power converter so that you don't blow the fuse. I picked up one for around $30 USD.

Hope that helps :D