Greetings from Washington D.C.

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
kville79

Greetings from Washington D.C.

#1 Post by kville79 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:42 am

Greetings everyone, my interest in microscopes stems from my classes in geology (ended up with another degree, but always want to go back and finish the last three classes I would need) and my photography hobby.

I currently have a no-brand Korean 1980'ish petrographic, and a Nikon Model S microscope. Would really love to eventually get a Leica petrographic microscope. Currently working on getting a camera setup for my Model S, would be nice to do a little photography with it.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Greetings from Washington D.C.

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat May 09, 2020 3:11 am

Neat. Where do you procure your thin sections?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

kville79

#3 Post by kville79 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:33 am

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:11 am
Neat. Where do you procure your thin sections?
I currently don't have any, I gave away the two I had to a friend who was continuing on to her PhD. I do have a bunch of samples I was planning on sending off to make a set of slides. Was considering using National Petrographic or Wagner Petrographic as services to make the slide, seems like $30-50 per slide.

I've considered buying slides off of ebay, but I don't quite trust the quality of most those slides.

geo_man

#4 Post by geo_man » Sat May 09, 2020 10:53 am

Welcome kville79!

and also to BramHuntingNematodes: I've had great luck purchasing excellent quality / reasonably priced thin sections from ebay seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/geosecrob shipping to the US has been fine.

He only lists items occasionally and they tend to sell out quickly; follow / contact him if you are interested in seeing what he occasionally offers, good luck!

kville79

#5 Post by kville79 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 pm

geo_man wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:53 am
Welcome kville79!

and also to BramHuntingNematodes: I've had great luck purchasing excellent quality / reasonably priced thin sections from ebay seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/geosecrob shipping to the US has been fine.

He only lists items occasionally and they tend to sell out quickly; follow / contact him if you are interested in seeing what he occasionally offers, good luck!
Thanks! I highly appreciate that! I'll be following him!