Hello from Annapolis Maryland

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Runningtide

Hello from Annapolis Maryland

#1 Post by Runningtide » Fri May 15, 2020 12:52 pm

First off a big thanks to Oliver for getting me approved for this forum. Looks like my initial application may have got filtered out as Spam. Anyway..., like so many of you Ive been staying home with my family and spending a lot of time on the net. Several weeks ago two things happened on the same day. First I decided to start studying chemistry and biology at the Kahn Academy. And based on that decision, I started also binge reading and watching the many articles and videos on this forum and Olivers site and youtube. I am becoming passionate about microscopy and my academic studies at Khan Academy. (Oh..BTW, Im 71 years old and a retired Network Engineering Director for the US Government).

As is typical with me and new interest..., I usually go a little overboard at first. So last saturday, FedX delivered a large box to my home from Microscope Central. Feeling excited like a kid at Christmas, I opened and assembled my brand new Leica DM750.... Scott Miller at Microscope Central did a fantastic job working with me on the basic configuration, and along with the Hi PLAN objectives.., I also added a dark field slider option.. Since its arrival, I can't keep my hands off it. I have been buying various basic lab supplies, many suggested by Oliver's videos. As my studies continue, I plan to start researching water plankton and various Zoo plankton that inhabit the Chesapeake Bay.., which sits a few hundred feet from my house. I also have a fishing boat in a slip in my marina that will enable me to collect samples from both shoreline and deep water areas around Annapolis.

Sorry to run on and on.., but Im so thankful to finally be able to join this forum. I am at the beginning of this new adventure, so please be gentle with my initial ignorance and inexperience as I humbly try too participate in this forum.

Regards;

Mickey

75RR

Re: Hello from Annapolis Maryland

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Welcome Runningtide, you are quite right - never too late to start this hobby.

Do post some photos of your microscope in the My microscope section. We would all like to see what you have.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

daruosha

#3 Post by daruosha » Sat May 16, 2020 5:39 am

Hello and welcome Runningtide.

Looking forward to see your microscopy pictures :)
Daruosh.

Runningtide

#4 Post by Runningtide » Sat May 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you booth for the kind words of welcome. I'll put some pictures on the microscope section later today. I'll also do a separate review of a professional iPhone photo adapter that i purchased from iDu Optics.

KD Arvidsson

#5 Post by KD Arvidsson » Sat May 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forum :D //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw