Hello from Sunny Wiltshire

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
watsonfee

Hello from Sunny Wiltshire

#1 Post by watsonfee » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:02 am

Hi I've just joined the forum. I am a Biology Technician in a secondary school but that doesn't mean I know a lot about microscopes! Our school has a mix of old and new microscopes but I'm currently furloughed so they're off limits.

I have just bought a Vickers binocular microscope, for my own use, that I think is a M15c model - the scope is inscribed with SUZD 137 but I can find no reference for that. I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has heard of this or has a manual. There are a few things about it that I don't recognise/realise the significance of such as the flip out lens on the condenser. I'd like to see if I could set up dark field or even phase contrast on this microscope.

I've done a bit of staining and sectioning over the years but wouldn't call myself anything but an enthusiastic amateur. Our 16 yr old is going to start A level Biology in September so I'd like to do more with it to see if he enjoys it.

Bye for now

Fee

75RR

Re: Hello from Sunny Wiltshire

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:35 am

Hi watsonfee, welcome.

Could you post some photos of your microscope? Max size 1024 x 1024 and 512KB, just drag and drop
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

watsonfee

#3 Post by watsonfee » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 am

Sorry for the delay - had trouble finding a camera that wouldn't take huge pictures.
Vickers 1.jpg
Vickers 1.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Vickers 2.jpg
Vickers 2.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Vickers 3.jpg
Vickers 3.jpg (96.55 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Vickers 4.jpg
Vickers 4.jpg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Hopefully they are ok.

Many thanks

Fiona

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:49 am

A very nice microscope ! looks like there is a field aperture, meaning possibly Kohler illumination.

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:52 pm

I have a brochure for this microscope, and the May 1967 price list, when prices were quoted in pounds, shillings and pence.

As I recall it was billed as a laboratory microscope with research capabilities.

Yours is shown with the mains voltage illuminator, yet has the rheostat control which normally went with the Kohler illuminator.

If my memory serves me correct, it was used as the model used to demonstrate principles of microscopy in a book, possibly;

How to use the microscope by Hall and Linssen.

SUZD most likely stands for Sheffield University Zoology Dept. (or another University beginning with S)

Good solid stands.

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Looks a beauty! Congratulations.
It really does look solidly made, very nice.
John B

watsonfee

#7 Post by watsonfee » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:25 pm

Thanks everyone - very interesting. I'm very pleased with it and I think the optics are pretty good - better than the student ones I use at work. There is another one on EBay referenced "Vickers SUIB 30" - Sheffield Uni having a clearout maybe?

Excuse the ignorance Hobbyst46, but what did you mean by "field aperture"?

Thank you for the information on the book by Hall and Linssen. I love old books on anything to do with practical Science. There's so much in them that has been lost even if some of the chemicals used wouldn't be allowed in my workplace!

The microscope has a flip-out additional lens on the condenser. I have tried in in and out but cannot see much of a difference so I'm obviously missing something.

I'd love to know if I could fit a phase contrast condenser to this model and if so some advice on tracking down one that would fit and the objectives to pair with it.

Thanks again. I'll try and post some images if I come up with anything interesting.

photomicro

#8 Post by photomicro » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:40 pm

watsonfee wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:25 pm

Excuse the ignorance Hobbyst46, but what did you mean by "field aperture"?

Thank you for the information on the book by Hall and Linssen. I love old books on anything to do with practical Science. There's so much in them that has been lost even if some of the chemicals used wouldn't be allowed in my workplace!

The microscope has a flip-out additional lens on the condenser. I have tried in in and out but cannot see much of a difference so I'm obviously missing something.

I'd love to know if I could fit a phase contrast condenser to this model and if so some advice on tracking down one that would fit and the objectives to pair with it.

Thanks again. I'll try and post some images if I come up with anything interesting.

The field aperture is a diaphragm (iris) in-between the light source and the lens that is sitting in the base. The function is to limit the illuminated field to one that can be encompassed by the objective being used. So, for a low power, you would need to light more area than a high power. It helps stop glare from outside the field of view spoiling the image.

The flip-top; the little lens probably needs to be 'in' for the x20 and above, and 'out' for lower than this. It may be touch and go which for the x10, and would depend on the lighting system.

Yes, you can fit a phase-contrast condenser to this model, but does that mean the objectives are phase?

If you would like a scan of the brochure, PM me. I might be able to find the manual too.