Ex-immunologist in NYC revisiting microscopy passion

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
mfemia

Ex-immunologist in NYC revisiting microscopy passion

#1 Post by mfemia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 am

Hi everyone! I left my research career (and very expensive microscopes :D ) behind last year and have an itch to dive into microscopy at home. I spent all of my time working on confocal/fluorescence scopes in grad school + work but I love the idea of more accessible techniques such as dark-field, polarized-light, and phase-contrast.

I had a personal AmScope T490 throughout grad school, but would prefer somewhat higher quality optics now. I plan on diving into the subforums, but if anyone upfront has been exceptionally pleased with a trinocular microscope build (for < $1000) that covers one or many of my plans, please reply! I'm currently keeping an eye on Nikon Labophot and Olympus BH2 availability on ebay, mainly because I'm familiar with them being known for versatility.

I also have a DSLR sitting around and really love the idea of using it for image-stacking micrographs (which I know next-to-nothing about as of now)! I've seen very impressive end-products and feel inspired to look at some common setups (rails, objectives, lens, lighting). Again, I'd love to hear about systems that have worked...not sure about pricing of a full setup.

Happy to join the community!

PeteM

Re: Ex-immunologist in NYC revisiting microscopy passion

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:19 am

Might want to search and browse past discussions. $900 or so should get you a very nice used trinocular microscope.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 am

Given your background, and experience, may I suggest:

1. You might soon wish DIC. If so, and if budget allows, I would put the availability of DIC among the chief considerations in choosing a microscope.
2. Another important question is up-right vs inverted. IMHO, for pond life in the hands of a professional microscopist, inverted is better.
Outdated confocals sometimes end up as tissue culture inspection scopes....
Good luck !

mfemia

#4 Post by mfemia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:33 pm

@PeteM Yes I've been digging around the forum and came across many excellent trinocular systems in that range. It seems others have found excellent deals but patience was the key!

@Hobbyst46 I would LOVE a DIC-enabled microscope but I figured it would be tough to come across it for less than $1000. I'll keep an eye out. And yes, I'm also undecided on inverted vs upright. I've seen a lot of inverted even with intact phase-condensers for surprisingly low cost...but most of them seem to be at the expense of having low quality objectives included (if any! :lol: )

I'm mainly searching ebay. If anyone has a more reputable dealer in the US (to keep S&H down), please let me know!