New from Las Vegas, NV

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
qlog

New from Las Vegas, NV

#1 Post by qlog » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi All, Stumbled across one of your youtube videos just 15 days back and got obsessed with getting into this hobby, watched most videos off your channel and on top of it my high schooler is showing interest in forensics. Look forward to being part of this hobby and this community.

By design I am a tinkerer and technically inclined, by profession I am data architect. I picked up a BH-2 and awaiting delivery in a week or two, sincerely hope I didn't do too bad beiing a noob. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BH-2-B ... 2749.l2649

PeteM

Re: New from Las Vegas, NV

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Welcome.

You found an excellent scope at an excellent price. Hope you enjoy it. The DPlan objectives are very good and yours came with the elusive and very handy 20x as well. Assuming it arrives in good shape, an A+ for a first scope - and one likely good for a lifetime.

qlog

#3 Post by qlog » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks Pete, "Assume" is the keyword right now. most of the things i learned are from MH videos and realized 20x as well as 60x were nice to have over 100x oil immersion and i recall seeing a video where for starting out oil immersion techniques were advanced and not for newbies like me. This scope is missing eyepieces on one head and missing specimen clamps, which is where the tinkering would come in. I am researching on what i will need to hook up a camera on this and which one is a question for now. I have a few old digital's lying around or a Nikon D 5200 slr. any suggestion are highly welcome.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 pm

If you have a set of the correct eyepieces (typically WHK 10x) you could either pick up another pair or just go with a pair of new generic 10x / 20mm eyepieces. They'd be fine for the teaching head.

Stage clips show up now and then on Ebay; as well as complete stages with decent clips, perhaps cheap due to damage elsewhere.

I wouldn't shy away from oil immersion once you get underway. It's not that big a deal and will significantly outperform the 60x dry DPlan for the really small stuff.

A cell phone camera with a dedicated holder is surprisingly good. Your Nikon D5200, if it supports Live View and a quiet shutter release could also be excellent. Typical approach is a "chimney" to fit on top of the trinocular head, a 2.5x photo relay lens (2x would be better for your camera, but very hard and $$$ to find) and then direct attachment to the camera. Charles Krebs' website has excellent info on camera connections.

Zuul

#5 Post by Zuul » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 pm

qlog wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:28 pm
i recall seeing a video where for starting out oil immersion techniques were advanced and not for newbies like me.
It’s not that oil immersion is advanced in the sense that it is hard. It’s just extra steps to clean up, and many (particularly newbies) would rather not have that extra task. I just got (intentionally!) an Oil 50x, and I’m a newb just like you.

Welcome to the forum.

qlog

#6 Post by qlog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:14 am

thanks zuul for clarifying. any particular reason to choose 50x oil vs 100x oil, does it offer sharper/better image? Also in ref to Olympus Dplan/Splan/Apo etc I found a detailed summary page for technical differences here http://www.alanwood.net/olympus/microsc ... tives.html, but have you come across a post that differentiates in layman terms. For e.g When would someone choose one type over other.

Pete that was very helpful, after seeing a variety of micro pic options that you suggested, if I get serious about micro pics, the best and most reasonable solution for BH2 seems to involve a Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Until then cheap adapter to grab via eyepiece should be plenty. reason behind my curiosity was presence of Trinocular head on the microscope. :-). I am waiting on it to arrive before deciding on second set of eyepieces or specimen clamps, the idea is to make sure BH2 is usable before investing more. Would it make any sense to have a different magnification eyepieces in the teaching head (more or less magnification) that would work better for a dedicated picture taking with mobile phone.