new to microscopy need help properly identifying my microscope

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Ken Brill

new to microscopy need help properly identifying my microscope

#1 Post by Ken Brill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Purchased used in 1999 as suitable for semiconductor wafer & hybrid inspection . Probably decommissioned from recently bankrupt Digital Equipment Corp Fab facility . Am now retired and actually have time to use it .

While identification markings indicate it is an AO Microstar my review of available AO. Leica & Reichert literature suggests it is actually was at some point marketed as an Epistar 2560 series IC inspection / Metallurgical high power compound microscope very fully optioned out . Is my identification correct ? .

I require a near 7.0 diopter correction in one eye slightly better in the other is it economically practical to obtain corrected eyepieces ? any guidance re: suppliers and costs ?

This microscope is trinocular though a proper dust cap is not in place guidance in choosing a digital camera would be appreciated .

Was stored unprotected in dry but dusty and unheated warehouse ( thought otherwise ) guidance as to proper cleaning and maintenance is needed .

Thanks in advance to anyone who may respond ;

Ken
Attachments
IMAG0261.jpg
IMAG0261.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0260.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
IMAG0259.jpg
IMAG0259.jpg (50.84 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
IMAG0258.jpg
IMAG0258.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
IMAG0257.jpg
IMAG0257.jpg (69.24 KiB) Viewed 5077 times

MichaelG.

Re: new to microscopy need help properly identifying my microscope

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm

What a fabulous instrument, Ken

I knew nothing about it, but have just found this:
http://doclibrary.com/MSC167/DOC/Epista ... re0729.pdf

Welcome to the forum !!

Regarding your eyesight corrections ... Others may be better informed, but I think your best option is to get good ‘high-eyepoint’ eyepieces, and wear your spectacles.

MichaelG.
Last edited by MichaelG. on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:46 pm

< sorry ... double post >
Too many 'projects'

DrPhoxinus

#4 Post by DrPhoxinus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 pm

Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

I am about 5 to 6 diopters out and haven’t had a problem.
However when a normal vision family wants a look
then refocusing is in order.

Among my scopes I have an AO 150 two series 10 and a
410 which looks a little like yours in style.

Maybe compressed air can blow the dust out of the trinoc.

Gerard

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Nice scope - you'll enjoy it. It looks to be a deep throat Epitstar version of a Series 110 microscope - as you say, meant for wafer inspection.

Is there a lamp for the top illumination? A DIC slider and polarizers for epi use? If those parts are still with the scope, it's a pretty rare find.

As for corrections, as has been said if you are the only user you can dial it in just fine to use without eyeglasses.

I can't make out the objectives, but it looks like they are be no-cover slip types meant for reflected ("epi") use. Might also be brightfield and darkfield types?? Those will have the objective optics in an inner tube and a clear ring around them for epi light in darkfield mode.

Your stand also looks to have a condenser and bottom lamp so you could do transmitted work, as in slides. However, you will likely need to pick up some difrerent objectives for cover glass use above 20x or so.

Do you have x-y stage controls or was this the type where the user would move it by hand? For use with slides you might want to replace the stage - add x-y controls, slide clips, and x-y controls.

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:19 pm

You have an AO Epistar 2560 with epi DIC. You have the version with both epi and transmitted lighting. You should also have an analyzer under the head and polarizar on one of the filters along the top back. Excellent scope. I have a manual if you need it.

Here is mine:
AO Epistar  with DIC Side.JPG
AO Epistar with DIC Side.JPG (131.22 KiB) Viewed 5030 times

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Just to add, for biological use you could make up a sub-stage (platen) with slide clips and a clear aperture to swap in where the glass rectangle currently fits.

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm

PeteM wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:08 pm
As for corrections, as has been said if you are the only user you can dial it in just fine to use without eyeglasses.

I am happy to be wrong [by consensus] but I always thought that the acceptable limits for dioptre adjustments would be what the manufacturer provides. ... and I don’t think I have ever seen an eyepiece with +/- 7 range.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Zuul

#9 Post by Zuul » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:09 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm
I am happy to be wrong [by consensus] but I always thought that the acceptable limits for dioptre adjustments would be what the manufacturer provides. ... and I don’t think I have ever seen an eyepiece with +/- 7 range.

MichaelG.
Do you have a 7 diopter difference between your right and left eye? Total power is taken care of by the focus. It’s only the delta from right to left that needs to be adjusted in the eyepiece.

Charles

#10 Post by Charles » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 pm

This has a list of your features and diagram:
EpiStar.JPG
EpiStar.JPG (137.28 KiB) Viewed 5010 times

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 am

You have a gem there. I would look for another 5 place nosepiece and 3 biological objectives. I'm not sure what you have in objectives but I can more or less figure out the likliehood of them. Only the 2 lower powers would at all be usefull with coverslips. You would want to look for a # 1022 20X, a #1309 40X and a # 1311 100X to fit the other nosepiece. If you replace the allen screws in the nosepiece dovetail with thumbscrews, you can swap from the epi set to the coverslip corrected set very quickly. A technique to maintain centering when swapping can be applied.

The same nosepiece from any series 100 scope will work..
It looks like you have a cat. # 1867 objective. It has something attached and surrounding it. I have never seen that before. Is that a further incident illuminator of some kind?

MichaelG.

#12 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 am

Zuul wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:09 pm
MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm

MichaelG.
Do you have a 7 diopter difference between your right and left eye? Total power is taken care of by the focus. It’s only the delta from right to left that needs to be adjusted in the eyepiece.
No ... But there is an underlying logic which suggests [to me] that adjusting the focus so far must take the performance of the objective out of its ‘design envelope’.

MichaelG.

Edit: ___ it would also make setting-up a parfocal camera system “interesting”
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#13 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:36 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 am
Zuul wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:09 pm

No ... But there is an underlying logic which suggests [to me] that adjusting the focus so far must take the performance of the objective out of its ‘design envelope’.

MichaelG.

Edit: ___ it would also make setting-up a parfocal camera system “interesting”

Forgive me for bumping this, but all has gone quiet ...
I had hoped that some useful discussion might ensue.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

DrPhoxinus

#14 Post by DrPhoxinus » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm

I am beginning to wonder whether there is a microscope model that Charles doesn't own.

Charles, can you give us a count and a model breakdown?

Gerard