Hi from Washington state

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Misti.pyper

Hi from Washington state

#1 Post by Misti.pyper » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:26 am

I’m new here and very new to microscopy. I have taken A and P and fell in love with microscopy. I’m not talented at all but I was able to use my cheap scope to check my cat for mange and worms. But the cheap crappy scope died so I filed an insurance claim and ordered a new one. Sadly I did that before I found this forum. From the research I did I think I got a decent scope for a good price that can be upgraded as I decided how much time and money I want to commit to this hobby.

I bought a NIKON ALPHAPHOT-2 YS2-t. I only paid 175$

I know I need to go over it to make sure everything works and what not. But I don’t actually know much about microscope care beyond basic cleaning. I’m hoping you all can help me figure it all out.

wstenberg

Re: Hi from Washington state

#2 Post by wstenberg » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:59 pm

Good luck with the Nikon.
You should be able to do fine with that. I hope you are making some progress.
Up in Washington, you should be able to find many interesting microscopic things to look at.
If you like A&P, you can find many interesting prepared tissue specimens, many are from mice or rats, but they are very similar to human tissue.
It's much easier to examine these tissues from prepared slides, at least in the beginning.
But don't limit yourself; collect samples from the environment as well. It will help with your microscopy skills, and there is so much to see, in pond water, soil, whatever.

Best wishes and welcome.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

Sabatini

Re: Hi from Washington state

#3 Post by Sabatini » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Hello and welcome