Information on the "Old" Zeiss DIC System for Finite Microscopes

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
tlansing

Information on the "Old" Zeiss DIC System for Finite Microscopes

#1 Post by tlansing » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:20 pm

I just read a fascinating and extremely informative post on the German microscopy forum concerning the "old" DIC system on the finite series of Zeiss microscopes. It was written by a contributor on this forum, apochromat. For those who don't read German (like me), I think the translation by Google is pretty good to get the information needed. Here is a link to his post: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ic=45471.0

Apochromat also had an earlier post on this same forum on the "old" and "new" DIC systems for the finite Zeiss microscopes. That link is here: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=2567.0

Thanks to apochromat for his very informative and detailed explanations!

Tim

Adam Long

Re: Information on the "Old" Zeiss DIC System for Finite Microscopes

#2 Post by Adam Long » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:43 pm

Thanks Tim, very useful.

I got an old Zeiss DIC set in the autumn and am very happy with it. With tweaking I've found it gives good results with most of my objectives although backgrounds are typically uneven.

My favourite combinations are the 16x Neofluar with Prism I and the 63x Neofluar 1.25 oil with prism III. It is sensitive to small adjustments like condenser height.

tlansing

Re: Information on the "Old" Zeiss DIC System for Finite Microscopes

#3 Post by tlansing » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:25 pm

Hi Adam,

I also have the old Zeiss DIC system and was interested to see your experience with different objectives. I think I was very lucky (considering what apochromat wrote in his post) that the microscope I purchased had the original setup that was configured on the microscope when it was originally purchased so I think the condenser and objectives are matched. I have used plan achromats 16x and 40x interchangeably with the Neofluar 16x and 40x with excellent results. The microscope came with a plan achromat 100x/1.25 with an iris and this is also supposed to be matched with the prism III in the condenser. I haven't really used this lens very much and I also have a plan achromat 100x/1.25 that I purchased separately. Always good to get more information on these systems to understand them better!

Tim