Stereozoom illuminator

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Florian

Stereozoom illuminator

#1 Post by Florian » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:33 pm

Hello everyone,
I just bought a Bausch and Lomb stereo zoom and I am looking for a good and cheap illumination device. I can have the original part 31-35-29 for cheap. I believe this illuminator is just a collector lens and an iris. Is it a good start point that I can convert with led.
Florian

Sliding Focus

Re: Stereozoom illuminator

#2 Post by Sliding Focus » Thu May 16, 2024 1:36 pm

Hi Florian,

I have no idea whether the illuminator you have is a good starting point for an LED conversion—it would be an interesting project if you're up for the task, and if you undertake it (or have already done so), I hope you'll let us know how it goes! My recommendation, however, would be not to bother: IMO, if you want "good and cheap" illumination for a stereomicroscope, there's nothing better than a cheap pair of gooseneck LED desk lamps. The Ikea Jansjö was the go-to for years: folks liked that they had a color temperature and CRI comparable to incandescent lamps, they had small heads that made them easy to position close to your work, and they were bright enough. Sadly, they are now discontinued—if you see a pair offered anywhere (e.g. a yard sale), grab them! Among options currently on the market, the best I know of are Sunbeam's flexible LED desk lamps; they're brighter, but also bulkier, and I don't like their color temperature or color rendering as much. If you (or anyone) finds other good choices, I would be very curious to hear about your experience with them!

Depending on your definition of "cheap," a used 150W fiber optic cold light source (such as those made by Dolan-Jenner, Fiberoptic Specialties, Schott-Fostec, etc.) with a dual-gooseneck light guide is also a great option and makes a nice upgrade from a desk lamp (brighter, easier to position, better color rendering), especially if you can find one that includes focusing lenses for the light pipes. Including the cost of shipping, you should expect to pay somewhere between $50–200 for one, depending on the model, condition, accessories, and how long you're willing to wait for a deal to pop up.

Hope this helps!