Cal Zeiss Jena Ergaval

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
garyjm

Cal Zeiss Jena Ergaval

#1 Post by garyjm » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 pm

Does anyone have any experiences with the Cal Zeiss Jena Ergaval microscope?

I may be looking for the illuminator if I buy one.

Thanks,
Gary

PeteM

Re: Cal Zeiss Jena Ergaval

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:13 pm

I've had a Laboval, Gary, and thought it was OK, but with middling mechanical construction, illumination, somewhat constricted field of view, and OK but not exceptional optics; not particularly better than $400 or so AmScope. I don't know if the Ergoval will be a step up.

If you already have this, a DIY lamp may be both easier to source and better than an original. If you haven't bought it and hope to source additional objectives and accessories in the future (if in the US), you might be better off with a more widely distributed microscope from that era.

The Jena scopes do have a sort of cool Bauhaus-like design - and my Laboval didn't represent their best.

garyjm

#3 Post by garyjm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:05 am

Hey Pete, thanks for your reply!

I don't own the microscope currently. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the illuminator. The seller told me the illuminators were sold separately. That sure makes it difficult for anyone else wanting to buy the microscope.

I did a general search for Ergaval illuminator but there are no illuminators for this microscope to be found anywhere.

If I had the part number for the illuminator, perhaps I could do a better search for it.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 am

Gary, This will give you an idea of what sort of halogen lamp (or sometimes a mirror) should be included for the illuminator: https://www.geocities.ws/dushang2000/Mi ... 047C-2.pdf

Personally, I'd look for a different microscope unless you're really set on an Ergaval or located in the EU with a somewhat better chance of finding parts and accessories.

garyjm

#5 Post by garyjm » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 pm

Thanks again Pete. The seller raised his prices back up after the sale so I may not get one of these microscopes.

No luck either on finding the illuminator.

I live in the US, in PA.