Objective upgrade on Olympux CX23

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
michael.n

Objective upgrade on Olympux CX23

#1 Post by michael.n » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello everybody!

I have recently purchased an Olympus CX23 for home use. I'm really pleased by the image quality but I would benefit a lot by using a 20x instead of the 100x objective. At work I've upgrade from a Nikon Eclipse E100 to an Olympus CX41 and without mentioning the difference in image quality, I was delighted to have a 20x objective. From what I've gathered, the nose piece has built-in objectives, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't any way to unscrew them, at least for cleaning them at some point. So this is the question of the topic - is there a way to change the objectives on this microscope model?

Thank you.

PeteM

Re: Objective upgrade on Olympux CX23

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:53 pm

If they won't unscrew by hand, get a non-marring strap wrench or pliers. They should unscrew relatively easily, same as the CX41.

What you won't likely have on the lower priced (but still pricey) CX23 is a removable nosepiece.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:18 pm

There are a couple of reasons the objectives may be excessively tight. CX 21 and 23 microscopes have been pitched heavily at the educational market, which historically provides a situation where little fingers can become unusually inquisitive. Both have built in condensers and a facility to lock in the eyepieces. It is a little more difficult to stop the objectives from sprouting legs, especially since optional objectives exist for the two scopes but they might possibly have been strap wrench tightened by the dealer as a rule of thumb, so to speak, so thumbs cannot remove them. I have even seen instances where lock tight was used. The objective back lenses in a sealed microscope optical tube that has not had eyepiece or head removal, should not need any cleaning for many many years.

michael.n

#4 Post by michael.n » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Yes, that's probably it. In the meantime, I got an official answer from Olympus, too. They said the objectives were not meant to be removed so they are very tightly screwed in place, but they should come out if enough force is applied. It will probably require pliers as I definitely can't do it using only my hands. They also recommended the dedicated CXPL20X/0.4 objective, which I'll definitely be ordering if the unbranded one that I've ordered won't do its job :D . I will come back and post a dedicated topic for my microscope when my setup is complete. Thank you all very much!

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 pm

In lieu of buying or making a strap wrench or a pair of soft jawed pliers, I have used a leather strap and vice grips on innumerable smooth barreled microscope parts. Lots of objectives and some of them ancient brass bodied ones seized with copper sulfate. It rarely doesn not work the first time and always after a small amount of solvent is applied to the threads.

Take a 3/8" to 1/2" leather strap about 1/8" thick, wrap it around the objective and clamp a 6" pair of curved jaw vice grips on the leather strap. The vice grips should be tightened just enough to dig into the leather. A little counterclockwise tug will loosen them.

You could if you like, at this time check the parcentering. Modern microscopes made by a quality mfg. are better at this than older ones but it doesn't hurt to check. It only takes 10 minutes.

I just choose the direction of rotation on the nosepiece that I want( In my case it is usually clockwise or moving the nosepiece left to right. I then move each objective one hole at a time fully around the nosepiece, checking for the best parcentering situation by visually examining a slide that has a notable feature placed in the center. Usually, there is one that is better than the others.

Having the 4 or 10X precisely in the center is not as important as having the 40 and 100 parcentered. If one of the holes of the nosepiece is a little off, it is better to mount a low power objective in that one , if the higher powers can be closer in registration.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Take a 3/8" to 1/2" leather strap about 1/8" thick, wrap it around the objective and clamp a 6" pair of curved jaw vice grips on the leather strap. The vice grips should be tightened just enough to dig into the leather. A little counterclockwise tug will loosen them.
If you find the leather slipping you may want to dampen it. I find that it grips better.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Kevin_r

#7 Post by Kevin_r » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 am

michael.n wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 pm
Yes, that's probably it. In the meantime, I got an official answer from Olympus, too. They said the objectives were not meant to be removed so they are very tightly screwed in place, but they should come out if enough force is applied. It will probably require pliers as I definitely can't do it using only my hands. They also recommended the dedicated CXPL20X/0.4 objective, which I'll definitely be ordering if the unbranded one that I've ordered won't do its job :D . I will come back and post a dedicated topic for my microscope when my setup is complete. Thank you all very much!
Is there any updates??? :)

ZodiacPhoto

#8 Post by ZodiacPhoto » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I am considering CX23 (among others), and would like to know, if the objectives are removable.
Also, does anybody here have this scope? Are you happy with its performance?
Any upgrades - is a 5-place turret available (from another Olympus scope) that fits CX23? Where to buy the optional Kohler kit (CX23-FS)?
Thank you!

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:52 pm

I've not had an Olympus CX23, but can't imagine that the objectives aren't RMS thread and removable. However, since it's an educational microscope they may have been secured with a thread locker to deter theft. As noted above, it make take a bit of effort to remove them.

For about the same money as a used CX23 and less than half the cost of something comparable new, you should be able to get a used BX40 in excellent condition. Even better a BX50. Either of those should have a wider field of view and possibly better objectives (the CX has a FN of 20mm), possibly (there's an adapter) interchangeable turrets, the possibility of upgrading to DIC, and likely a better condenser than the plain Abbe that comes with the CX23. It would also be a more stable stand, better suited to photography. Should you wish to upgrade to LED, the BX40 and BX50 (etc.) have easy retrofit kits, with the LED located at the more desirable location at the rear of the microscope rather than directly under the stage.