Leitz Leica objectives advice

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Rossf

Leitz Leica objectives advice

#1 Post by Rossf » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:26 am

Does anyone know about the leitz UTK P (strain free) objectives with irises? I’ve noticed one is 32x/.40 P but underneath that writing is 50/.63-can it extend or something to manage both magnifications? I find the way leitz/Leica objectives are categorised to be confusing (same with numbers on condensers etc). Speaking of condensers-I noticed some of the earlier leitz condensers were ring clamp mounted-does anyone know the diameter-probably not 37mm...
Regards ross

apochronaut

Re: Leitz Leica objectives advice

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Don't confuse or lump Leitz and Leica optics together. They have very little in common. Leica Microsystems was created out of a broad merger and outside of a name has nothing to do with Leica camera. The optical progression from 1991 on has been derived from the early American Optical infinity system and the bulk of the work force probably stayed put , no doubt enhanced by transfers from the contributing plants to the merger that were closed.

Marking conventions on the objectives have changed some over the years.

Element 56

Re: Leitz Leica objectives advice

#3 Post by Element 56 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:46 am

I can't answer your question but this thread has helped me with some Leitz objective nomenclature questions.

viewtopic.php?t=5491

Kirby