Balplan Trinocular Example

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
microb

Balplan Trinocular Example

#1 Post by microb » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:45 pm

In this listing, is there a relay lens of some sort in the trinocular path to the camera? The trinocular in a Balplan has a lens for only the eye pieces but not the camera. But that tube is taking a c-mount an I'm trying to figure out what the optics path is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-L-Bausch-Lom ... SwlJhfWnCe

apochronaut

Re: Balplan Trinocular Example

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:36 am

B & L had an optional simple straight photo tube, similar to the optional one AO offered. I believe the Balplan one had a built in telan lens, whereas the AO one did not need it, since the telan lens was in advance of all of the downstream optical ports.
Presumably, since they have installed a new camera , and they promote that feature, and they promote the fact that the microscope has been refurbished by an experienced microscope technician, it is well set up and functions as it should.
It is the 100 watt research model and was likely originally sold as a live blood analysis microscppe. The DF condenser is most likely the paraboloid, since a 10X objective is in the system. The cardioid does not fill a 10X field. It has the 100X with iris diaphragm and a 5 hole nosepiece. No BF condenser but they are not expensive. A 4X and 20X objective are a bit hard to find.

All in all, it is a pretty decent microscope for the 500.00 range, certainly light years beyond anything new in that price range. I would ask some questions or even request some images through the trinocular. They seem to be offering it as a fully functional microscope . If I was buying that in Canada, it better be, because very few sellers can be bothered to issue return shipping from Canada to the U.S. It might cost close to 150.00, maybe 200.00 depending on the mechanism and that is what ebay would expect from a faulty listing. It might get left with me after a full refund from ebay. Sellers cannot afford to put up faulty listings.
Eyepieces may not be right. Those look like the old W.F. compensating types. The Balplan needs a neutral eyepiece. I don't offhand remrmber the first set of numbers but the last two pair is 13-61. 61 is the important cat. code for the last number . Those are the 10X W.F. required. The compensating ones give a W.F. but the periphery will have a lot of chroma.

hans

#3 Post by hans » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:00 am

That seller is frequently relisting a bunch of AO/Reichert stuff including some not-supposed-to-work-well combinations like this 100 with 400-series head: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254716081781

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:00 pm

hans wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:00 am
That seller is frequently relisting a bunch of AO/Reichert stuff including some not-supposed-to-work-well combinations like this 100 with 400-series head: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254716081781
It works but it depends on how much c.a. a person is willing to tolerate. Finding a pair of oculars that are made to compensate for that amount would make the combination acceptable I suppose. The seller may have found some. The eyepieces are not AO. They are 18mm types of some kind. Hard to see how the microscope is then to manufacturers specs.? The seller has been around for a while and sells some good microscopes but then there are some like this one too. Personally, I think their layouts need more pizzàzz. Some coloured stars of several sizes, maybe an exploding fireworks colour burst or two. Something to make the listings noticeable.

microb

#5 Post by microb » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Personally, I think their layouts need more pizzàzz. Some coloured stars of several sizes, maybe an exploding fireworks colour burst or two. Something to make the listings noticeable.
Fixed it. Or does it still need more cow bell?
Attachments
2020_09_14_microbehunter.jpg
2020_09_14_microbehunter.jpg (114.69 KiB) Viewed 2458 times

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Now that's what I call bright field.

Element 56

#7 Post by Element 56 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:50 pm

microb wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 pm
Fixed it. Or does it still need more cow bell?
You can never have enough caw bell as far as I'm concerned!!

I see him advertising on facebook too. I looked at his profile and I think he might be a one man show.

I often wondered how much refurbishing he's really doing. To me his asking price for these instruments seems low. I know how long it takes me to rebuild/refurbish a full instrument and I can't do it fast enough to make money at it. Of course after doing it I'm usually in love and could never sell it anyway!

Kirby