A blast from Nikon's past

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
PeteM

A blast from Nikon's past

#1 Post by PeteM » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 pm

An example of what I believe is Nikon's first attempt at DIC just showed up on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-LKe-Micr ... 000%7C7000

While half that $2500 would buy a far superior (used) reflected DIC microscope today judging by the wafer image -- and ethe $2500 put one well toward an excellent transmitted DIC system -- it is a pretty interesting bit from Nikon's history. The s-Ke microscope was beautifully built and the optics quite good for their time.

I didn't take the time to download and post an image or two (the link will disappear before the end of the year), but someone might wish to do so.

abednego1995

Re: A blast from Nikon's past

#2 Post by abednego1995 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Interesting kit, but only simple Epi, Interference Phase Contrast, Epi DIC and parts for the Diascopic fluorescence phase unit included. No transmitted DIC. Agreed 2.5k is overblown.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:27 am

I have a finite optiphot set up similar to this, epi pol/bf-df/DIC and transmitted pol. It's an awfully nice scope, though I think the Olympus equivalent is maybe a bit better. I'm surprised the S series had DIC as well.

A leitz transmitted DIC scope came and went for 1500 the other day--even on transmitted DIC deals appear sometimes but they go even quicker.

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:43 am

Way overpriced-but I bought way overpriced things in the past cos I just wanted it! I’ve studied the Nikon S catalogue soo many times-they had a transmitted DIC addition also though I think it could only do the colourful birefringence variety not the greyscale type-I don’t know a lot about DIC! But the S was a good scope-would love to get my hands on that interference phase setup that was like a poor mans leitz colour Heinz condenser...one day maybe...
Regards ross

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:12 am

I am not familiar with Nikon microscope systems but everyone seems to be calling this a epi DIC system, but it has a DIC condenser for transmitted light and a separate transmitted light phase condenser. So is this both epi and transmitted DIC?