Oops! With a 40x objective.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Greg Howald

Oops! With a 40x objective.

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:27 pm

So, there I was enjoying myself looking at a specimen with my 49 x objective When I decided to look at it with 100x. I lowered the stage and put on a drop of oil as usual but I forgot to change the objective! It was a great
Observation but I realized what I had done immediately and removed the 40x objective and cleaned it as quickly as possible with no I'll effects. It works fine. The question is this:

Years ago if touch It oil on an objective not designed for oil, the poor thing was easily wrecked.
Is that still true?
Greg

apochronaut

Re: Oops! With a 40x objective.

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Depends on the objective. Some of them are easily invaded and some can get repeatedly immersed in oil and sustain no invasion. It is unlikely that the oil woild seep in with limited immersion but if you hold the objective up to a light source horizontally, the oil will pool on the bottom side, taking up a U shape at the bottom of the image circle. Flipping the objective over quickly will catch the oil briefly at the top and you will see it drain down.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks. I appreciate knowing that, you know. For the next time I act like an idiot.
Greg😆

Microworld Steve

#4 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:25 am

What I do if I'm going to use oil is to lower the stage, turn the objectives to the 4x, add oil, then turn to the 100x. That way I know I'm safe with my objectives.
If I can't see it with my microscope, it ain't worth looking at. :D

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:30 am

Understood. Forming new habits will take time but I figure if I concentrate on the same moves every time a good habit will form. Greg