What microscope has this style?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
portbon

What microscope has this style?

#1 Post by portbon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:55 am

Hi,
Does anyone recognize what brand is this microscopy body? The upper part (with gold ring and 3 screws) was put to replace the objective. I need to know what kind of microscope brand or model has this style where you can attach it to the main body (see the 3 screws at left side). Thanks.

apochronaut

Re: What microscope has this style?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:50 am

The focus knobs on that stand look very familiar and the slide carrier too. If you post a picture of the illuminator window, I might be able to put 2 and 1 together to make a 3.

portbon

#3 Post by portbon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 am

Here is the illuminator. Ignore the rectangular box above. It was just added replacing he objective lens and upper part.

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 am

Can't tell what the label says on the front of the illuminator. Is that a clue?
Greg

portbon

#5 Post by portbon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:43 am

No. It was a Russian product, the top box is a Russian made Raman spectrometer which used an existing microscope sample stage. The label at bottom just says don't look at the laser, it is a generic label. The sample stage costs more than $1000. I just want to know what brand does it come from.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 am

The base, illumination, and stage look somewhat like an Omax or another fairly low cost Chinese scope. You might check "Omax" as an example in the $200 to $300 price range. The upright (beginning about 20mm above the stage height) and the head support (held by 3 socket head screws) don't look familiar - but might have been grafted on to the base?

microb

#7 Post by microb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 am

PeteM wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 am
The base, illumination, and stage look somewhat like an Omax or another fairly low cost Chinese scope. You might check "Omax" as an example in the $200 to $300 price range. The upright (beginning about 20mm above the stage height) and the head support (held by 3 socket head screws) don't look familiar - but might have been grafted on to the base?
There is a similarity to the base and the extra protrusion on the frames neck. But all those frames are continuous, so that means someone sawed off the part above stage level. So black frame of the original poster has a top with the brass threading that looks like a CNC part some made themselves. The bottom looks like cast metal. So I think this was a after market conversion done to allow the upper unit to sit on flat platform instead of the small neck originally done for the binocular head.

If you look on the underside, is the black paint a new coat? Because if the top part is CNC, and since the paint matches, the whole thing is a repaint. The odds are low that they dipped the lower half to remove the original paint. So opening the bottom the inside might show the original paint.
Attachments
m82es.jpg
m82es.jpg (58.95 KiB) Viewed 9735 times

portbon

#8 Post by portbon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:37 am

I saw the same style of sample stage at amazon where the neck is continuous to the binocular head. I think it is standard. My question is whether there are models where the upper part of the neck can be separated from the lower part.

The thing is. I still don't own it. The manufacturer is selling me the black sample stage for $1000. But I saw the same stage at amazon for only less than $200 which already includes the binocular head.

If I'll just buy a whole microscope and do the same conversion. If I cut the middle neck. How do I attach the top plate to the lower neck? I have a ring (the same as the golden one in original picture so no problem fabricating the plate). Problem is how to connect the sawed neck at middle (let's say I'll use the Omax above which is typical of others)?

microb

#9 Post by microb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:37 pm

portbon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:37 am
The manufacturer is selling me the black sample stage for $1000.
What's a "sample stage" in this context? You're talking just the item shown minus the black box that sat on top, right?

microb

#10 Post by microb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 pm

portbon wrote:
If I'll just buy a whole microscope and do the same conversion. If I cut the middle neck. How do I attach the top plate to the lower neck? I have a ring (the same as the golden one in original picture so no problem fabricating the plate). Problem is how to connect the sawed neck at middle (let's say I'll use the Omax above which is typical of others)?
For $1k, you can buy a nice microscope setup.

So you want to buy the black box, but the seller is also offering the microscope base/frame/stage/turret-arm-holder-with-brass-threading for $1K. You just want the black box and mount it on a microscope frame.

microb

#11 Post by microb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:47 pm

portbon wrote:
I saw the same style of sample stage at amazon where the neck is continuous to the binocular head. I think it is standard. My question is whether there are models where the upper part of the neck can be separated from the lower part.
Here's one and it's an Olympus: https://www.ebay.com/itm/McBain-Instrum ... 3967229902

You can 3D print a dovetail to adapter between the black box and the microscope frame -- assuming a 25mm light path is wide enough.

PeteM

#12 Post by PeteM » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm

If you need transmitted light for some reason (as in the Omax type), it should be noted the Ebay BHM model is only for a reflected head.

The BHM is a good stand. There are many other fine microscope stands that might be easier to adapt (which a bit more meat on the upright and sometimes a detachable top end as on some Nikon 'phot models and some Olympus BX models). There are also industrial versions of most scopes. In any case, you'll likely need access to a milling machine (or maybe a 3D printer) to do a good job of making your own better-than-offered-at-$1000 stand to support that Raman spectrometer.

Hope you'll keep us posted if you do get a Raman spectrometer. I'd guess that with a new generation of spectrometers on a chip, that fairly affordable units might start showing up. Just the progress in regular (near UV-VIS-near IR) spectrometers over the past few years has been pretty cool. Hardware that used to cost $3000 is now more like $300. Someone is likely to be making an Android and iPhone add-on?

portbon

#13 Post by portbon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 pm

I bought the 532nm Raman spectrometer last year for $15,000. Here is the front of it. I measured the ring to be about 44.5mm so I ordered a Kodak series V-VI step up ring at ebay to get use of the VI size. I will get it next week. If it fits, that's the time I'll get a microscope to use the sample stage. The manufacturer doesn't want to sell me an extra ring, afraid I may build my own. He wants to sell me just the cut sample stage for $1000. But I don't have a lot of budget now. The Raman is for personal use and research.

Questions (I numbered them so you won't miss any :)

1. The focal point at the laser focus is 20mm from the front of the edge of the ring thread. I will use it on a SERS (Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectrometer) slide so the sample stage slide holder needs to be 20mm or less from the above or it won't focus properly. What microscope where you can adjust the sample stage height to be about at least 15mm from the top objective holder? So my 20mm will focus? If not I will just put a book above the sample stage so the slide can reach focus, but the slide holder won't have function anymore.

2. In the Ebay BHM. It says X-Y stage. So Y is up down, X is slide left and right. Z is back and front? But the Ebay BHM is missing the slide holder so it doesn't have left and right move. So is it not a YZ sample stage? I think I'll just buy the Omax at Amazon for $209 and saw the body. That is, if the Kodak series VI ring will fit. If not. Do you know other ring that is sized 44.5mm (I measured the existing ring to be 44.5mm)?

3. To use any microscope with transmitted part too so the laser can reach the sample, the Raman has to have parallel beam, mine is focused at 20mm from front. Is there any barlow or adaptor I can get so it can convert it somehow to parallel so I can use a microscope with transmitted part for laser? The manufacturer is selling me their microscope with Raman for $33,000.

4. Lastly. Where to buy a cheap VIS/NIR IR spectroscope? Company such as Stellernet is selling a package for $3000. Maybe there is one sub $1000? I need an IR spectrometer in addition to my existing Raman Spectrometer.

Thank you for the assistance!

Fen

#14 Post by Fen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:35 pm

You buy a $15,000 device, and doesn't want to sell you a part because he's afraid you might build your own.. right.
That's only more reason to build your own then isn't it? :roll:

microb

#15 Post by microb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:54 am

portbon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 pm
4. Lastly. Where to buy a cheap VIS/NIR IR spectroscope? Company such as Stellernet is selling a package for $3000. Maybe there is one sub $1000? I need an IR spectrometer in addition to my existing Raman Spectrometer.
What range do you need for the first and then what range does the Raman get you?

For 200 to 800 nm, OCEAN OPTICS USB2000 on ebay can be found for $500, normally a bit more. But don't go over $800. Also note that some are a part of a stack, so make certain not to get one set to a sub range.

The software can be downloaded for free. I think if you want access to their library of material identification you'll have to pay something.

If you want to go cheaper, there are two guys in France making simple set-ups to more Ocean level. They're called ThunderOptics on ebay. The cheapest is that free spectrometer program which is annoying. The $300 ones have a better software, but the Ocean seems to be pretty solid as a product. I haven't tried Thorlabs. They have one and were going to add a Python binding.

But I'd be curious what the Raman does for spectrometer range. Does is go above 3um for example?

microb

#16 Post by microb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:03 am

portbon wrote:
I bought the 532nm Raman spectrometer last year for $15,000. Here is the front of it. I measured the ring to be about 44.5mm so I ordered a Kodak series V-VI step up ring at ebay to get use of the VI size. I will get it next week. If it fits, that's the time I'll get a microscope to use the sample stage. The manufacturer doesn't want to sell me an extra ring, afraid I may build my own. He wants to sell me just the cut sample stage for $1000. But I don't have a lot of budget now. The Raman is for personal use and research.
If you got an old inverted microscope with a stage that moves up and down (not the objective turret), you could mount the black box you have as a replacement for the light source. That would allow you to slide the black box to the close range you want, have xy (left-right forward-back) and the fine control for focus in z by moving the stage up and down a tiny bit. You wouldn't be using the objectives though.

Unitron-Inverted is a cute little unit with a stage that moves up and down. Looks like an old inverted microscope American Optical Corporation has the same.

Keep in mind the infinity focus inverted microscope will have a stack stage and focus by moving the objective up and down.

portbon

#17 Post by portbon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:35 am

microb wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:54 am
portbon wrote:
What range do you need for the first and then what range does the Raman get you?

For 200 to 800 nm, OCEAN OPTICS USB2000 on ebay can be found for $500, normally a bit more. But don't go over $800. Also note that some are a part of a stack, so make certain not to get one set to a sub range.

The software can be downloaded for free. I think if you want access to their library of material identification you'll have to pay something.

If you want to go cheaper, there are two guys in France making simple set-ups to more Ocean level. They're called ThunderOptics on ebay. The cheapest is that free spectrometer program which is annoying. The $300 ones have a better software, but the Ocean seems to be pretty solid as a product. I haven't tried Thorlabs. They have one and were going to add a Python binding.

But I'd be curious what the Raman does for spectrometer range. Does is go above 3um for example?
What do you mean by 3 micron and above? the spot size or what?

My Raman is 532nm (532nm to 781nm strokes shift) and has range of 160 to 4000 wavenumber. It has 1800 grating, 30un wide slit, 30mW laser, 6 to 8 wavenumber resolution, 75mm focal length.

What is useful range for an IR spectrometer? I forgot the molecules that can be scanned for certain range of IR. What is useful for everyday use?

Btw.. for the SERS slide. Since my Raman has fixed focus of 20mm. I can just tape it to the existing attachment for scanning gemstone or polymers (where you hold it to the attachment). But I still want to get the microscope sample stage for sake of experience.

PeteM

#18 Post by PeteM » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:38 am

Here's an affordable spectrometer that claims to get to 920nm into the near IR range:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectrometer-S ... SwGmteke1h

I bought a similar spectrometer, similarly priced, from a US start up company recently. However, the software really isn't ready for prime time. The French one (above) has a bit more mature software -- I bought an even cheaper version a couple years ago and noticed their software has since improved.

Z is usually vertical (focus) and x-y much like a graph plot for translation of the slide for microscopes.

microb

#19 Post by microb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:09 am

PeteM wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:38 am
Here's an affordable spectrometer that claims to get to 920nm into the near IR range:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectrometer-S ... SwGmteke1h
That's the ThunderOptics guys in France. The software is ok with that model.

microb

#20 Post by microb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 am

portbon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:35 am
microb wrote:
portbon wrote:

My Raman is 532nm (532nm to 781nm strokes shift) and has range of 160 to 4000 wavenumber. It has 1800 grating, 30un wide slit, 30mW laser, 6 to 8 wavenumber resolution, 75mm focal length.

What is useful range for an IR spectrometer? I forgot the molecules that can be scanned for certain range of IR. What is useful for everyday use?

Btw.. for the SERS slide. Since my Raman has fixed focus of 20mm. I can just tape it to the existing attachment for scanning gemstone or polymers (where you hold it to the attachment). But I still want to get the microscope sample stage for sake of experience.
So I'm converting (and maybe incorrectly so) the 4000 wavenumber to a nm wavelength, so 4000 cm–1 = 2500.00 nm (2500 nm is in the NIR wavelength region).
160 cm–1 = 62500.00 nm (62500 nm is in the Far-IR wavelength region)

So 62.5um and 2.5um.

I still don't understand how wavenumber is supposed to make comparable numbers independent of the nm laser used.

portbon

#21 Post by portbon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 am

microb wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 am
portbon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:35 am
microb wrote:

So I'm converting (and maybe incorrectly so) the 4000 wavenumber to a nm wavelength, so 4000 cm–1 = 2500.00 nm (2500 nm is in the NIR wavelength region).
160 cm–1 = 62500.00 nm (62500 nm is in the Far-IR wavelength region)

So 62.5um and 2.5um.

I still don't understand how wavenumber is supposed to make comparable numbers independent of the nm laser used.
I have computed it last year. 4000cm-1 is just the difference between 781nm and 532nm. Try to compute it. For 785nm raman system. It cant reach 4000 cm-1 but more like 160 to 2800cm-1 because IR ccd not sensitive enough.

Scarodactyl

#22 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:58 am

microb wrote:
Raman spectroscopy looks at the shift between the input wavelength and what bounces back, which is independent of input wavelength. So what you're graphing is the spectrum of the raman shift in inverse centimeters.

Greg Howald

#23 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:00 am

Ok. I admit I know nothing in this arena, but I wonder if a polarizing lens wouldn't make for parallelism.

microb

#24 Post by microb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:58 am
microb wrote:
Raman spectroscopy looks at the shift between the input wavelength and what bounces back, which is independent of input wavelength. So what you're graphing is the spectrum of the raman shift in inverse centimeters.
I've read that too, and like a bad manual that spends pages on how to plug the product into an outlet, the details on the internet on this are lacking. And I assume it's not actually complicated, but no one's willing to write it down anywhere.

Apparently a normal spectrometer can be used.

But if I have n samples 200nm to 800nm, and the laser let's say at 532nm plus or minus 10nm of data is ignored, the Raman graph has to involve manipulating (intensity,nm) pairs. So it appears we're just going to re-order the nm's and keep the intensities at the same levels.

The graphs are normally 0 to 4000.

Ok, so I found a posting to answer the above:

"As for data processing, one starts by converting the laser wavelength to wavenumbers. I use a simple trick: wavenumbers (cm-1) = 1e7 / wavelength (nm). Say your laser is at 532nm. Converting that to wavenumbers: laser wavenumber = 1e7/532 = 18797 (cm-1). Now using that same formula convert all the other wavelength data over to wavenumbers. In a final step, subtract all the wavenumbers of the spectrum data from the laser wavelength wavenumber. All the data that falls on the positive side of zero are the Stokes line data. All the data that falls on the negative side of zero are the anti-Stokes line data. One normally drops the anti-Stokes data, but not always. Normally, the wavenumber data are displayed on a 0 to 4000 cm-1 scale, similar to a standard IR spectrum.
Now you have a vibrational spectrum (similar to an IR spectrum) where the peaks are in terms of wavenumber shift from the excitation (the laser). Hence one often speaks of the "Raman shift" of a vibrational line."
(https://www.researchgate.net/post/How-t ... er-instead)

portbon

#25 Post by portbon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 am

I plan to get this $208 Omax at Amazon but it has such a bad review.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094 ... 0DER&psc=1

"Unusable!

I am a pathology resident and was looking for a cheap option for viewing surgical slides at home so I don't have to come to the hospital on the weekends as often to view slides.

I am not sure how this could be the "Best microscope of 2018" when it was designed with a fatal flaw. On my very first use, I was focused on an area in the middle of a slide and started changing objectives and then BAM, the 40x objective scrapes against the screw that keeps the slide holder in place. How is this supposed to be a useable microscope if you can't switch objectives in the middle of a slide without the objectives bumping the slide holder screws? See the picture I took which illustrates this problem.

Also, the scope is much smaller than I expected it to be, making it look like a toy compared to the ones I use at work. The objective holder is also smooth and hard to grasp, making flipping objectives harder than it should be (even without the poorly-designed screw in your way). Also, the objectives are all out of focus with one another, so you are constantly focusing up and down every time you switch from one to the other. The stage range of motion is very limited in the side to side planes, so you can't even view the entire slide!! It only took a few minutes before I knew this was not going to serve my purposes. I'm very glad I bought it on Amazon and can return it for free!

I spent an extra $110 and bought the AmScope T490B and WOW what a huge difference that made. It's a bigger scope, only a little bit smaller than the ones at work. The screws are far from the objectives so no bumping can happen like with the OMAX, and everything else about this microscope is much better, including the larger size, softer lighting, and nice grips that allow you to flip objectives much more easily than this scope. Plus the stage has a better range of motion from side to side, and there is less of a difference in focal length between the objectives, making it much more functional over all. Now I can get some serious work done."

It's really unusable? If I get the Amprob. It costs $428 and I live in Asia. So with taxes it can reach $600 and with modification it can cost more. And not far from the $1000 offered to be by the Raman maker. Any other options?

By the way. How do remove the binocular and objective lens from the holder in the main body?

Plasmid

#26 Post by Plasmid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 am

[]

By the way. How do remove the binocular and objective lens from the holder in the main body?
[/quote]

The ocular eyepieces on the head should just be pulled towards you from the diopter, unless held by a set screw which I haven't seen, The objectives are threaded and can be removed by counterclockwise turns.

portbon

#27 Post by portbon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 am

In a microscope. What is more expensive, the ocular/objective head or the sample stage/main body?

What magnification would it take to view a single human cell?

Plasmid

#28 Post by Plasmid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:41 am

My knowledge is limited but on regards to what is most expensive depends on which Microscope you are considering. I have seen apochromatic objectives in the thousands for just one , and the same for just the platform without objectives, the same goes for the condenser and trinocular head. Even with an entry level microscope you'll be able to see human cells.
On regards to what magnification to observe human cells, well that depends on which cell, A neuron can be viewed without a microscope since they can be meters in length technically, adipose cells 100X , goblet cells 400x will give you plenty of details with a decent objective, and the smallest of cells simple squamous even at 1000x all you'll be able to discern is a nucleus with a thin cell wall around it.Keep in mind that without a proper histology stain, the cells will be colorless and details will not be as defined.

portbon

#29 Post by portbon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:10 am

The OMAX has 2500X magnification, the AMprobe has 2000X magnification. What is the usual magnification of a good microscope?

And what can you see with 2500X?

Plasmid

#30 Post by Plasmid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 am

portbon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:10 am
The OMAX has 2500X magnification, the AMprobe has 2000X magnification. What is the usual magnification of a good microscope?

And what can you see with 2500X?
For histology, 400x to 600x, anything above 1000x and you start to loose contrast and is not necessary, keep in mind that at 1000x with oil immersion you can see the shape of most bacteria and even then it can be hard to tell apart a rod from a cocci shaped bacteria. Microscopes that are advertised as 2000x, 2500x are just trying to appear as more capable when in reality its just some barlows lens with an extra set of 15X or 20X eyepieces.

What can you see with 2500X?
Answer: just a blur