Unsure of what to purchase

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MissRaychel91

Unsure of what to purchase

#1 Post by MissRaychel91 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi! Complete newb here
So after reading through some posts on here I've figured out that I need a compound microscope with a light source under (and on top if possible), preferably trinocular but I suppose I'll take a binocular if not.

My price range is 350$ for everything, this will be my first microscope.

I was originally looking at the brand new Amscopes like this, but I keep reading that buying a used one is better.

https://www.amscope.com/40x-2500x-led-d ... era-1.html

Should I look on Ebay? I was honestly hoping someone could help me pick one out on there because reading the description, I have no idea what it all means lol

Any help is appreciated!

PeteM

Re: Unsure of what to purchase

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:44 pm

When you have enough posts to send a message, I can send you the latest PDF version of a guide to microscope brands and models.

$350 might buy you a quality trinocular microscope and surely a good binocular one to which you can later add such things as epi (reflected, top) illumination and a trinocular head. You might search past posts for recommendations.

Horseflesh

#3 Post by Horseflesh » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:58 am

I'm here to get my post count up then, Pete, I would like the PDF too!

My dream setup is a brightfield trinocular scope so I can begin using a camera right away--but I want to find a platform that may be expandable to darkfield or other options, as my interests develop. I'm willing to spend maybe $750-1000.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:12 am

When you can send a message, let me know where to send the PDF. This is being updated now and then - so appreciate any updates, suggestions, corrections etc.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:39 pm

The unfortunate fact is that lists, brand recommendations or any hard line brand focused information is only relavent to the specific unit it was based on. All microscopes can be good or bad and it is the one you have in your hand and are assessing that is important , not one on a hypothetical list.

You are not working with a procurement budget for a research facility and won't have the luxury of acquiring a steward along with your microscope, a dealer or factory rep., that will tweak your instrument for you or provide factory backup.

You have provided the most critical piece of information required. You can spend 350.00. For that you need to get the best microscope. The other information is the specifications. All microscopes built to the same specifications have the potential to work equally well within a few percentage points of each other. You would prefer a trinocular, so to start with that needs to be added to the specifications.

So a starting point might be . Trinocular, 4 objective , in base illuminator, complete. 350.00 ( U.S.?) including shipping.

Used. Brand is irrelevant. It is the specifications that are important and the condition. Just about any used microscope out there is long past the time for any bugs to be worked out of it and most will have had a history of working well at some time and for some time. Why are they being sold? 1) They are being replaced for one of better specs. 2) They are broken 3) They are dirty 4) They are surplus or not needed 5) They have been donated 6) They are reconditioned 7) They are n.o.s. ( new, old stock) 8) They were found in a dumpster( it happens). There are other reasons and they can be multiple. Some of these scenarios are better than others obviously, so matching the budget to as secure a situation as is possible is paramount. That doesn't mean that a microscope found in a dumpster won't be suitable, it is just really unlikely. As an aside, after a long,long, search on ebay, I finally found a missing N.A. 1.4 achromat, fine focusing, oblique condenser and carrier for a 1930's Spencer # 5 research stand. The very and only parts missing from it. It was being sold by a member of a dumpster diver co-op for 30.00. Bizarre I know but even more bizarre is that the seller lived somewhere that I go to weekly and he was also a drummer in a Who tribute band and looked like Keith Moon. That's how I found out it came from a dumpster. I interacted with the seller.

Which brings up the importance of communication. It can often be the key to buying a used microscope, successfully. For newbies ; no comm's, no purchase. It's just too risky. Either you or a trusted advisor is required to ask questions and sort the wheat from the chaffe.

New. This is a whole different category of microscope, once the price is below about 700.00. Theoretically, a new microscope for 350.00 with the desired specifications should be a slam dunk better option than speculating on a used one. The difference is that a 350.00 used microscope might have begun life as a 2000.00 microscope 25 years ago. You can't get much in todays dollars in a microscope for 350.00. This is where my specification rule above, breaks down some. Just about all of the used microscopes of stated specification will still attain those specs. or be fairly easily brought to them. For new microscopes in what I call the tier one category of on-line sales, the specs. are only theoretical. The design and engineering of the instruments includes certain specifications but the manufacturing and inspection of the instruments is where the cost cutting is. Many will leave the factory under spec. and in most cases the instruments do not benefit from an inspection and setting up by a dealer. They are warehoused and shipped to the customer, after arriving from the factory. One may be great and the next lousy, plus the specs. in many cases are minimal in the first place.. This seldom happened with major brands so used scopes are way more likely to have the capacity to perform to spec.

Tier 2, Chinese or Indian microscopes also sometimes show up on the used market and those can often be very good value. Often they are little used and sell really cheaply.

AndyMilman

#6 Post by AndyMilman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 am

I have several Meiji microscopes that I use; I bought many of the on ebay and gotten good results. You'd have to visit ebay every day or two to find them, and beware that there are some offered at prices that are exorbitant. You can compare the asking prices with the prices for new microscopes on Amazon. ( I think that Meiji is the third largest maker of microscopes in Japan.)
If you ever want to make photographs with the microscope, buy one with a trinocular head; you probably don't want to be placing the camera where an eyepiece should be.Remember, you will want to look through the eyepieces to find the things you want to photograph! And you can get fairly inexpensive cameras that mount on an eyepiece tube and give you good pictures.

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:27 am

Hi MissRachel....shipping costs are an issue..are you con-US? charlie g, finger-lakes/US

AndyMilman

#8 Post by AndyMilman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:36 pm

A good--and free--source of information is a website called "Microscopy U" from Nikon. They have many articles on the basics of microscopy. Anyone who's new to the subject should look at it; they'll probably want to download relevant articles and print them for future reference.