Nikon bulb 77910

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Nejolley

Nikon bulb 77910

#1 Post by Nejolley » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm

I have a Nikon model S microscope with a differential interference contrast attachment. The lamp has blown. I think it is a 77910. I haven’t been able to fine a replacement yet in the uk. I think I have 3 options.
1) find a replacement from somewhere outside the uk
2) find a BA15D bulb without the triangular flange and use the flange from the dead bulb.
3) find or make an alternative light source. Had anyone made an LED replacement?

Any help appreciated.

dtsh

Re: Nikon bulb 77910

#2 Post by dtsh » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:30 pm

I have adapted a couple of scopes to LED, but some are easier than others to modify.
A quick look suggests that bulb to be 6v and 15watts, yes?
A few images of the housing might help sort out mounting options.

If converting a few questions to ask yourself are how many watts/lumens are you wanting to get and do you want/need it to be dimmable? If dimmable, will you be trying to use the LED as a drop-in replacement or would you be willing to possibly modify the wiring that may or may not be in whatever model of microscope you have?

I suspect getting the replacement bulb will be the most expedient and ecconomical answer though.

photomicro

Re: Nikon bulb 77910

#3 Post by photomicro » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Nejolley wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm
I have a Nikon model S microscope with a differential interference contrast attachment. The lamp has blown. I think it is a 77910. I haven’t been able to fine a replacement yet in the uk. I think I have 3 options.
1) find a replacement from somewhere outside the uk
2) find a BA15D bulb without the triangular flange and use the flange from the dead bulb.
3) find or make an alternative light source. Had anyone made an LED replacement?

Any help appreciated.
Have you read the number 77910 off the bulb itself?

I have some bulbs, some of which are Nikon, and know from experience that the S series didn't all take the same bulbs.

I wonder if you can tell which it is from the attached diagram?

Mike
Nikon bulbs.jpg
Nikon bulbs.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 1320 times