Zeiss Axiomat Issues

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
ChemExt

Zeiss Axiomat Issues

#1 Post by ChemExt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:28 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum so excuse any conventions I miss while making this post.

I'm currently working on a Zeiss Axiomat, yes that one, in a metallography lab. In fact we have two of them. One of them is facing issues though. There are a couple issues we are encountering however that prevent us from getting any real use out of them. It's been a long process of trying to get them to work and I figured it was my turn to take on the challenge. I don't know where else to help with such a machine besides here.

Issue 1: The biggest and most glaring issue. The microscope is currently setup as an inverted stage microscope with a 5 part rotating objective turret for metallography. Unfortunately upon turning to the highest objectives, I think 200, 500, and 1000x, the objective lenses run into the stage. Even when in focus on the previous objectives the act of turning them will cause the protective 'shroud' around the spring loaded objective to contact the stage. Once the objective is in place, however, it works fine and doesn't hit the sample. It's just turning the objectives on the turret that causes the shroud to hit the stage and sample. I can get pictures and videos of the issue if that makes it easier. Some details about this issue. This scope is from the 70's and still in GREAT condition. However, it is possible that it somehow was modified in the past for a specific setup that required the objectives to be closer to the stage. We aren't sure who, how, why, or even IF this happened. That's just the current consensus about what the history of this machine is. Does any here know of what could have been changed in a microscope that would permanently change the WD between the objectives and the stage? How could we change it back? I realize this literally the most complex light microscope ever created and that makes this difficult but this might be a simple fix. I can't imagine a better place to ask either.

The second issue we are having is getting the proper adapter to make use of the second optical port to attach a camera to. Since it's being used in as an inverted stage scope right now the conventional method of having the camera coming out of the top of the camera module won't work. There is however two ports, that we can fit to. We haven't been able to get the proper adapters and lenses to get the image into focus on a camera however. This is a much simpler issue and any guidance on how to properly fit and focus a camera would be greatly appreciated. Getting a custom mount made might be necessary but isn't ideal.

Last issue isn't very big but I'll mention it. We have one more issue with what looks like a strange line in the optics that can be focused on but it isn't been an much of a problem. It isn't visible when looking at samples. It's somewhere in the observation module, not the objectives, and is so clean it almost looks purposeful. It obviously isn't though.

Absolutely any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures, videos, and get any information necessary if it helps diagnose the issues we are having.

Thank you all.

microb

Re: Zeiss Axiomat Issues

#2 Post by microb » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 pm

ChemExt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:28 pm
Does any here know of what could have been changed in a microscope that would permanently change the WD between the objectives and the stage?
I have an inverted but without a stage, so I'll need to set up a mount. If you ever find the details on the proper height to mount at, please let me know.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (128.81 KiB) Viewed 2937 times

ChemExt

#3 Post by ChemExt » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:18 am

microb wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 pm
ChemExt wrote:
Does any here know of what could have been changed in a microscope that would permanently change the WD between the objectives and the stage?
I have an inverted but without a stage, so I'll need to set up a mount. If you ever find the details on the proper height to mount at, please let me know.
I'm not I know what you mean about mounting. Are you looking for the current height of our stage on the inverted stage? If that's the case I can get you that information tomorrow, no problem. If you could explain a bit more I could help, sorry!

microb

#4 Post by microb » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 am

ChemExt wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:18 am
microb wrote:
ChemExt wrote:
I'm not I know what you mean about mounting. Are you looking for the current height of our stage on the inverted stage? If that's the case I can get you that information tomorrow, no problem. If you could explain a bit more I could help, sorry!
If you actually have an official Axiomat stage, I'd just like to get dimensions. I have some pictures of one, but since you are running into having it mounted but not at a good range, I'd be curious what you find out when you get it working.

ChemExt

#5 Post by ChemExt » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 am

microb wrote:
If you actually have an official Axiomat stage, I'd just like to get dimensions.
We have a rotary polarizing stage with Axiomat stage carriers. I can get you all the pictures you want. How's this to start?. https://imgur.com/a/C2WFzdX. I need help from you though. I need help figuring out why my objectives are hitting the stage (very important), how to mount a camera correctly, and figure out what the hell this line is through my images. https://imgur.com/a/1znecHd. I'll help you however I can with what I have

microb

#6 Post by microb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 am

ChemExt wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 am
microb wrote:
If you actually have an official Axiomat stage, I'd just like to get dimensions.
We have a rotary polarizing stage with Axiomat stage carriers. I can get you all the pictures you want. How's this to start?. https://imgur.com/a/C2WFzdX. I need help from you though. I need help figuring out why my objectives are hitting the stage (very important), how to mount a camera correctly, and figure out what the hell this line is through my images. https://imgur.com/a/1znecHd. I'll help you however I can with what I have
Thanks.

The first link didn't seem to go through.

Have you opened the optics unit? I found a screw that someone tapped to the side, but came loose in shipping.

wstenberg

#7 Post by wstenberg » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 pm

Well, Congratulations on the Axiomat.

With certain stage configurations, you can't rotate the turret without lowering the turret or lifting the stage. There's no way around it. The working distance is too short. If you switch to upright configuration, you won't have the problem.

The side mount camera attachment is a little more complex than you would think. If you send me a Personal Message, I can send you photos of mine. I have the original camera mount, but you could probably recreate if you have the proper dimensions.

Good luck!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

microb

#8 Post by microb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm

wstenberg wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 pm
Well, Congratulations on the Axiomat.

With certain stage configurations, you can't rotate the turret without lowering the turret or lifting the stage. There's no way around it. The working distance is too short. If you switch to upright configuration, you won't have the problem.

The side mount camera attachment is a little more complex than you would think. If you send me a Personal Message, I can send you photos of mine. I have the original camera mount, but you could probably recreate if you have the proper dimensions.

Good luck!
I'd be curious too.

ChemExt

#9 Post by ChemExt » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:51 pm

wstenberg wrote:
With certain stage configurations, you can't rotate the turret without lowering the turret or lifting the stage. There's no way around it.
That's insane but also nice to hear. It means we no longer have to worry about trying to fix this issue. Unfortunately, we are using this entirely for metallography so inverted is a must. I guess this means we won't have to spend any more time trying to fix it.

wstenberg wrote:
If you send me a Personal Message, I can send you photos of mine.
What's funny is I have been trying to message you for a while but I don't have enough reputation on my account to do that yet. Can you message me? My group will have to determine what camera we want to use for this as it would be somewhat permanent. It would be so helpful to know what kind of setup you are using so we can make some decisions.

Thanks so much for your help

wstenberg

#10 Post by wstenberg » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm

personal message sent
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar