Thinking of adding a stereo to the arsenal !

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Gasman

Thinking of adding a stereo to the arsenal !

#1 Post by Gasman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Hi guys
For a while now I have been a very happy user of an excellent Leitz Laborlux S scope I acquired off eBay I gather from a company who buys job lots from firms/schools etc who no longer need them. I’ve been using it for Crystal art imaging among other things and now feeling the need to add a stereo scope. I do like to experiment with equipment and enjoyed making filters and 3D printing various things for my scope. I’m thinking of either new or one of the top brands second hand maybe try my luck again with the bay?. I understand many of the ‘different’ new scopes are simply clones so choosing one maybe not that straightforward (or maybe it is?) I’m wondering about the various illumination techniques available for compound scopes,DIC, phase contrast,dark field etc any different techniques for stereo scopes?
Thanks
Steve

mrsonchus

Re: Thinking of adding a stereo to the arsenal !

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi Gasman, I see you're in the N.E. of U.K.? I'm in the N.W. (Cumbria in fact) and may be able to help.
I have a quite recently bought Nikon SMZ800 that I'm very likely going to sell if I can get back what I paid for it. The reason is that I came across an Olympus SZH with a few extras that I have found very useful indeed, and it's quality just about matches the beautiful SMZ800 - which is a far newer 'scope.

The SMZ800 I have is immaculate and I've added a few extras to it since I had it - it now also has an iris-unit, a complete camera-attachment kit with 2x Nikon photo eyepiece to allow a camera (DSLR) to be attached - alternatively I have the fittings also to attach a C-mount camera to it, complete with reduction optics.
To the base I have fitted a very nice LED panel that gives excellent illumination from below. For top-lighting I simply use a std LED ringlight....

I only bought it in December of last year, here's a link to my forum post with images of when I bought it. This is the 'scope as it came, before I added the extras. I haven't advertised it yet as it's taken me a few weeks of testing the Olympus before I could be sure that this one could be sold....

A few images,

Given recent circumstances I'd be very reluctant to sell outside U.K. so if you'd like to know more just contact me her of by pm if you prefer.

I'll be advertising it but I'm in no hurry as preparation of a good listing will take me some time and at the moment I'm horribly busy.
This one's is excellent perhaps perfect condition. I just can't bear to see it on one side as the Olympus is becoming my primary stereo 'scope now...

If anyone else (in the U.K. only - sorry) may be interested please contact me, although first-refusal must go to Gasman of course.
John B

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:19 am

That's a very nice scope.

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:04 am

Yeah don't know if I could handle a stereo that nice I'd probably drop something on it but looks very competent
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Gasman

#5 Post by Gasman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:02 am

What a lovely scope John, pity you thinking of selling (not for the buyer of course🤭) I'd be grateful if you could pm me what you'd like for it please.
Steve

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:25 am

Gasman wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:02 am
What a lovely scope John, pity you thinking of selling (not for the buyer of course🤭) I'd be grateful if you could pm me what you'd like for it please.
Steve
pm sent Gasman.
John B

Gasman

#7 Post by Gasman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Pm replied !