Olympus Dplan objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Harold

Olympus Dplan objectives

#1 Post by Harold » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:38 pm

I', looking at a Olympus BH 2 that comes with so-called DPLAN objectives, and I'd like to know how these compare with regular SPLAN's. Thanks

PeteM

Re: Olympus Dplan objectives

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:43 pm

DPlan objectives are good. The SPlans better. The SPlans typically have slightly higher numerical aperture (except the 100x), a wider field of view (26.5mm or so vs. around 20mm), and are expected to be sufficiently strain-free to work well for polarization and DIC.

All that said, unless you expect to have a "Super Wide" head or purchase a DIC setup, you'll likely be delighted with the image from DPlan objectives.

Harold

#3 Post by Harold » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:53 pm

I'll be using the microscope for bright field observation almost exclusively. I may dabble with a dark field "filter", but nothing more exotic than that. With your input in mind, I pulled the trigger on the "new; open box" instrument. Should be interesting

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:55 pm

Harold -- I think you'll be happy with the DPlan objectives -- they're really quite good.

Main question for me would be a seller who claims a scope built around 30 years ago is "new, out of box." Could happen, I suppose.

Ideally, yours will be in mint condition - though things like power capacitors in the power supply might have wanted a bit of exercise over the years. I'd let that run in for a while before leaving feedback. In any case, Ebay has your back.

Harold

#5 Post by Harold » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:10 pm

Agreed, the "new, open box" is questionable in an older scope like the BH2. The seller has a good reputation on ebay with 100% positive feed back, for whatever that's worth. In any case, it'll be shipping from santa Clara, CA to me in Southern OR, so it'll be in my hands soon.

Dubious

#6 Post by Dubious » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:13 am

Yeah, don't see how it can be "new - open box." But, that's probably actually better for you, as if the microscope had been sitting somewhere unused for 30 years it would probably have hardened grease and other problems, as noted above. Here, the microscope is hopefully "lightly used" and in almost mint condition--the best one can hope for with a vintage scope.

While the rating system is better than nothing, unfortunately, a "100% positive" rating on Ebay sometimes just means Ebay gives into the seller's demands and removes negative ratings, perhaps because the seller is seen as a good business generator.

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:23 am

I've gotten a couple stereozoom 7s in the original boxes, and an optiphot 2 frame. It can happen but it's rare.

deBult

#8 Post by deBult » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:21 am

In case your scope needs some maintenance: Carl Hunsinger has published an excellent series of maintenance guides in writing and on Facebook: a full list at http://alanwood.net/olympus/downloads.html

Harold

#9 Post by Harold » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:43 am

Debult,

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I won't need it but it's always good to be prepared. I have my doubts about it being NOB myself. The seller has limited knowledge of the scope's history. He did say it was from a research environment. Whatever that may mean. In all candor, I'm only concerned with it's optics and general functionality. If those are as the seller claims, I'm a happy camper. If not, I've got 30 days to return it, shipping paid. It would be cool if it came in the original box.

Crater Eddie

#10 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:59 pm

I'm looking forward to photos when your new scope arrives. The DPLAN objectives are very good. I lucked into most of a set of SPLANs for m BH2 some time ago and while they are really good, the improvement over the DPLANs isn't a stunner.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Harold

#11 Post by Harold » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:59 pm
I'm looking forward to photos when your new scope arrives. The DPLAN objectives are very good. I lucked into most of a set of SPLANs for m BH2 some time ago and while they are really good, the improvement over the DPLANs isn't a stunner.
CE
CE,

The microscope is now in UPS's hands. It was shipped yesterday, but there have been no tracking updates yet. It shouldn't take more than 3 days to get from Santa Clara, CA to Grants Pass, OR, but big brown has been less than prompt lately. There will be pix once it gets here. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

fero

#12 Post by fero » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Wish you all the best with the new microscope. I have also BH2 with DPlans and also number of Apos from Zeiss but DPlans are great, if not better - higher contrast mostly but then ... I am still learning

Harold

#13 Post by Harold » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:53 pm

fero wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:50 pm
Wish you all the best with the new microscope. I have also BH2 with DPlans and also number of Apos from Zeiss but DPlans are great, if not better - higher contrast mostly but then ... I am still learning
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm at the mercy of UPS right now. The seller sent me the tracking number Sunday evening. So far the UPS tracking page is still telling me to "Come back tomorrow for an updated delivery date." The last time I ordered anything of significance with them as the carrier, their tracking page said the same thing right up until the day the item was out for delivery. And that's after having spent the coin to get 2nd day. Ended up taking 7 working days to get here from Southern CA. Annoying. :!: