Q-Tips OK for microscope optics cleaning?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
brettpim

Q-Tips OK for microscope optics cleaning?

#1 Post by brettpim » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm

When I bought my Reichert Zetopan, it came with "The Unique Microscope Cleaning Kit" from Scogil Scientific Inc. of Raleigh North Carolina. It has "optics cleaning swabs" which I have been using to clean the optical pathway of my microscope with Foxwest Optical Lens Cleaner Cat. No 1100. I have used up more than half of the ones that were in my kit. When they run out do I have to find a new source of "optics cleaning swabs" or are Q-tips OK? Do Q-tips have impurities that might scratch my optics?

Wes

Re: Q-Tips OK for microscope optics cleaning?

#2 Post by Wes » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:44 pm

brettpim wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Do Q-tips have impurities that might scratch my optics?
Yes, silica particles. Use ophthalmological-grade cotton and bamboo sticks.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:00 pm

I use fresh, name brand q tips on my own optics and have never had an issue. I have heard the same from others, but as with all things your mileage may vary. With any cleaning be sure to blow the area first to remove any loose, potentially scratchy particles, and change swabs frequently.

brettpim

#4 Post by brettpim » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Wes wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:44 pm
brettpim wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Do Q-tips have impurities that might scratch my optics?
Yes, silica particles. Use ophthalmological-grade cotton and bamboo sticks.
Are these ophthalmological-grade:

CleanTips® Cotton Wrapped Mid-Size Swab, Texwipe

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Perhaps others have had better results from a web search, but I have yet to find cotton that states it is ophthalmological grade.

I suppose one could pop into an ophthalmologist and ask but I would not be surprised to get a blank look from them.

So where is this cotton?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Chas

#6 Post by Chas » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:57 pm

I have been wanting to post a similar question for a while.
This article mentions 'Synthetic Q-tips' :
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... clean.html

Might the author be talking about the sort of things that come with the Covid test kits???

patta

#7 Post by patta » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:04 pm

There is a nice book about manteinance of binoculars written by William Cook, who did this job for the US navy.

He tells the story: training at school, they had special optic-grade paper and cleaning was a religious procedure.
Then he embarked on a ship as optic repairman; for cleaning the exxxpensive optics, they had a big supply of toilet paper.

Wes

#8 Post by Wes » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:25 pm

75RR wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:43 pm
Perhaps others have had better results from a web search, but I have yet to find cotton that states it is ophthalmological grade.

I suppose one could pop into an ophthalmologist and ask but I would not be surprised to get a blank look from them.

So where is this cotton?
Ask in the pharmacy I suppose (you can check the contemporary cleaning manual from Zeiss). Either way I can also recommend using the softest painting brush you can get together with a bulb air-blower to get rid of the tiny particles stuck to the optics. I always use water as the first solvent of choice (unless the nature of the contaminant is obvious like oil etc.)
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi together,
enclosed you can find a photo of what we mean when we talk about "Augenwatte". It is pure and sterile cotton, used for medical bandages, not only for the eyes.

Myself I use q-tips and replace them after each little wipe. It also helps to turn them slowly against the direction of the movement to bring fresh cotton in contact and lift of the cotton that has already done a little work.
When used right (after pre-clean, minimal pressure, wet, not shovinf dirt back and forth) the quality of the cotton is not as important. The dust on the lens and on places where one could rest the Q-tip on in pauses is much more of a problem.

Originally Q-Tips are too hard and offer too little contact area. I use a piece of tissue to avoid dirt and grease transfer, grip the Q-tip with my fingers and pull the tip a little longer, and often a little sideways. This way the work much better.

Bob
Attachments
Augenwatte.jpg
Augenwatte.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 6677 times

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:33 pm

This is what I am using, bought at a local pharmacy. Perhaps I should look for 'sterile'
Attachments
100 cotton.jpg
100 cotton.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

deBult

#11 Post by deBult » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:24 pm

Sterile is not important , 100% cotton is.

Chris Dee

#12 Post by Chris Dee » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:39 pm

I've switched to foam tipped swabs for both microscope and camera optics. Not so much from concern over abrasive inclusions, just sick of cotton strands getting left behind on surface.

Dubious

#13 Post by Dubious » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:59 am

I agree cotton strands are irritating, but what about Zeiss Lens Wipes? Some on this board have recommended them, and out of curiosity I ordered some. They work surprisingly well and leave no residue. Hopefully, a product with "Zeiss" on the label will not scratch lenses...

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 pm

I clean and have cleaned a lot of lenses; so far thousands, right down to the back curvature of the front lens of 100X or even greater objectives. Tiny, high N.A. lenses where an occlusion like a left cotton fiber could really impact performance. Yet, I still use cotton swabs.

What I like about cotton swabs. 1)they are cheap 2) they are available 10 minutes away, always. 3) They are clean. 4) They are fairly absorptive 5) They have built in handles.6) The shaft can be manipulated in different fashions to clean in different ways. Very flexible. 7)They are easy to deform, so they fit into pockets or unnusually shaped places. 8) There are many, so I can keep using new ones. ( I have gone through over 1/2 box to clean a microscope but that is just over 2.00) 9) They are biodegradeable 10) Ones used to clean lenses can be used to clean microscope bodies later. 11) They will hold any solvent I need them to.....even muriatic acid. 12) They can be made to hold a variable amount of solvent, from slight to dripping and they can be wrung out without suffering physical damage.13) The sharpened shaft of one can be used as a pliable lint pickup.

What I do not like about cotton swabs. 1) Not all brands are the same. I have to be choosey about the brands I buy. 2) They don't clean perfectly with just one solvent, tending to leave a film. It usually takes 3 to 6 swabs and several solvents and rinses to clean a surface. 3) It is easy to contaminate the rear swab in use with skin oil. Wearing gloves would alleviate this problem but I don't. 4) They leave cotton fiber behind.

This deposition of cotton fiber is or paper or cellulose fiber is not unique to cotton swabs. Everything I have used leaves something behind, including Zeiss lens paper. I usually end up using several sharpened swab sticks to pickup debris leftover from cleaning under a stereo microscope. They become electrostatic so do not blow off easily. I also use a bulb or small compressor sometimes but they do not remove elrctrostatic particles.

Basically, cotton swabs win the day for me but cleaning microscope lens requires more than a one stop shop.

Roldorf

#15 Post by Roldorf » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:24 pm

I use these:-
lenscleaning_lens-wipes.jpg
lenscleaning_lens-wipes.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 6533 times

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

Chas

#16 Post by Chas » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Apochronaut, so if "Not all brands are the same. I have to be choosey about the brands I buy." -- which brands do you know to be good?

( I often seem to 'gain' particles on a surface and wonder if these are from the buds..it is perhaps more likely that they small particles of corrosion from the lenses mounting or even gathered-together crud , but I am never too sure.)

LouiseScot

#17 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:44 am

Thorlabs do some 'optical' grade cotton swabs: https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cf ... mber=CTA10
I've not tried them - but I might!

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

patta

#18 Post by patta » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:33 am

Q-tips contain scratchy silica particles... truth or hoax?
let's put them under polarized light to do some forensic analysis
No sand grains on sight - this one is safe to use
No sand grains on sight - this one is safe to use
Qtip_pol_10x.jpg (51.14 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
Scary stuff picked up rubbing the floor - not safe to use
Scary stuff picked up rubbing the floor - not safe to use
Qtip_pol_10x_2.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 6438 times

brettpim

#19 Post by brettpim » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Through VWR, the company that sells CleanTips® Cotton Wrapped Mid-Size Swab, Texwipe in my area, I contacted the manufacturer with the question
Are VWR Catalog Number TWTX705, CleanTips® Cotton Wrapped Mid-Size Swab, Texwipe®, suitable for cleaning microscope optical elements like objectives, condensers and oculars?
The company replied in the affirmative:
TWTX705 swabs are suitable for cleaning microscope optical elements like objectives, condensers and oculars. The swab heads are cotton and the handle is wood and they are used extensively in the optics industry. Depending on the critical level of the environment, some customers will use swabs that have a foam or polyester head and a polypropylene handle. Both can be used based on the customer’s preference.

LouiseScot

#20 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:53 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 pm
I clean and have cleaned a lot of lenses; so far thousands, right down to the back curvature of the front lens of 100X or even greater objectives. Tiny, high N.A. lenses where an occlusion like a left cotton fiber could really impact performance. Yet, I still use cotton swabs.

What I like about cotton swabs. 1)they are cheap 2) they are available 10 minutes away, always. 3) They are clean. 4) They are fairly absorptive 5) They have built in handles.6) The shaft can be manipulated in different fashions to clean in different ways. Very flexible. 7)They are easy to deform, so they fit into pockets or unnusually shaped places. 8) There are many, so I can keep using new ones. ( I have gone through over 1/2 box to clean a microscope but that is just over 2.00) 9) They are biodegradeable 10) Ones used to clean lenses can be used to clean microscope bodies later. 11) They will hold any solvent I need them to.....even muriatic acid. 12) They can be made to hold a variable amount of solvent, from slight to dripping and they can be wrung out without suffering physical damage.13) The sharpened shaft of one can be used as a pliable lint pickup.

What I do not like about cotton swabs. 1) Not all brands are the same. I have to be choosey about the brands I buy. 2) They don't clean perfectly with just one solvent, tending to leave a film. It usually takes 3 to 6 swabs and several solvents and rinses to clean a surface. 3) It is easy to contaminate the rear swab in use with skin oil. Wearing gloves would alleviate this problem but I don't. 4) They leave cotton fiber behind.

This deposition of cotton fiber is or paper or cellulose fiber is not unique to cotton swabs. Everything I have used leaves something behind, including Zeiss lens paper. I usually end up using several sharpened swab sticks to pickup debris leftover from cleaning under a stereo microscope. They become electrostatic so do not blow off easily. I also use a bulb or small compressor sometimes but they do not remove elrctrostatic particles.

Basically, cotton swabs win the day for me but cleaning microscope lens requires more than a one stop shop.
Hi Apo

I was just wondering... Is it ok to remove the rear aperture/exit pupil from an objective in order to clean dust from the back lens surface? And are there special tools for doing that? Or should I leave well alone and try and clean through the aperture?

Thanks

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

apochronaut

#21 Post by apochronaut » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 pm

There are many different methods of assembling objectives. If the back lens or lens cell comes out easily enough and you have reason to believe that the inside surface will benefit from cleaning, take it out and clean both surfaces as well as the back surface of the next cell but there should be no reason that you can't clean the back lens surface without removing it. Sometimes the rear diaphragm unscrews and gives easy access to the back surface. You have to be always aware of bits of machined casing and threads etc., which snag swabs easily and loosen fibers. Steer clear of them. I sometimes use a pair of immaculately cleaned tweezers to "point up" a swab: similar to the technique used on small artists brushes.
In fact, I use small less than 0 pointed up artists brushes to pick off cotten fibers sometimes, particularly around the circumference where the swap can scrape against the metal surround and become frazzled.

deBult

#22 Post by deBult » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Example guide on dismantling Olympus LB objectives to get the spring load tip mechanism working again: requires removing the rear aperture / lens pupil:

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-l ... ky-tip.pdf

LouiseScot

#23 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:01 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 pm
There are many different methods of assembling objectives. If the back lens or lens cell comes out easily enough and you have reason to believe that the inside surface will benefit from cleaning, take it out and clean both surfaces as well as the back surface of the next cell but there should be no reason that you can't clean the back lens surface without removing it. Sometimes the rear diaphragm unscrews and gives easy access to the back surface. You have to be always aware of bits of machined casing and threads etc., which snag swabs easily and loosen fibers. Steer clear of them. I sometimes use a pair of immaculately cleaned tweezers to "point up" a swab: similar to the technique used on small artists brushes.
In fact, I use small less than 0 pointed up artists brushes to pick off cotten fibers sometimes, particularly around the circumference where the swap can scrape against the metal surround and become frazzled.
It's just the rear aperture stop I was considering removing - for easy access to the back/top lens :)
Thanks

Louise

LouiseScot

#24 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:01 pm

deBult wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:07 pm
Example guide on dismantling Olympus LB objectives to get the spring load tip mechanism working again: requires removing the rear aperture / lens pupil:

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-l ... ky-tip.pdf
That's pretty comprehensive!

Thanks

Louise