How do you like my new Jena Projektiv lens from eBay? :)

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
imkap

How do you like my new Jena Projektiv lens from eBay? :)

#1 Post by imkap » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm

I ordered Jena 3.2, 6.3 and 10 Projektiv eyepieces for 45$+15$. Obviously initiated a return as they were described as good condition. Seller offered to give a partial refund of 22.5$, not sure I'll accept. The only one that isn't 100% hopeless might be 6.3, does this look like fungus or dirt to you? (image 2 and 3)

3.2:1

6.3:1 both lens

10:1

Scarodactyl

Re: How do you like my new Jena Projektiv lens from eBay? :)

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:59 pm

Could be delamination, it sometimes looks like that. Nothing good. The offer is insultingly low imo.

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 pm

Seems like a typical ebay experience. Send them back.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

imkap

#4 Post by imkap » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 pm

Delamination on pics 2,3?
Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:59 pm
The offer is insultingly low imo.
Yeah, I think I'll just send them back

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:04 pm

Wes wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 pm
Seems like a typical ebay experience. Send them back.
Yes, although I had no bad experiences on eBay yet. Except new Pentax binoculars out of alignment, but got my money back no problem...

Best thing is that I asked the guy not to send if they are not clean and he sent them :roll:

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:43 pm

imkap wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 pm
Delamination on pics 2,3?
Possibly, or rather crystallization in the cement layer causing issues.

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:47 pm

Looks delaminated to me. Sometimes delamination is visible only upon careful inspection with a stereo microscope. Some sellers would not do it.

I have a 4:1 Projektiv from C.Z.Jena that I thought would serve as photo eyepiece (for afocal photo) but proved to be not as good as Zeiss West KPL eyepieces. For viewing it is OK, though not wide field.

JWW

#8 Post by JWW » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:59 pm

I never purchase anything on eBay without asking specific questions before purchasing. I've never had an issue in 20 years.

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:17 pm

Only accept full refund + return shipping covered by seller. Otherwise wait for eBay to help you.

I only buy under eBay's "Business & Industrial" category under "used" condition (meaning, in eBay's definition, with buyer protein built in, guarantee to be fully functional). Not from "collectible " category (because eBay offers no buyer protection in this category).

In my scenario above, I have opened quite a few cases under "item not as described" and have never lost a single case. Most of the times, the sellers would immediately give up and let me have the parts for free; they know eBay will never rule against me in that scenario.

JWW

#10 Post by JWW » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:35 pm

Maybe the OP did all of this and is just showing the poor condition of the objective. I simply wanted to chime in to mention my experience on eBay. I totally agree with zzffnn reply too.

imkap

#11 Post by imkap » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:03 am

I asked him if the optics are clear, he said yes :D
I know I can return a defective item on eBay, so no problem with that and the money involved won't make me poor or the seller rich. So I took a chance when I was ordering.
I can understand if the seller doesn't know how to check for this kind of problems, it took me a while to learn.
I must note I have shared all of knowledge I accumulated in past few months about techiques of checking the eyepieces with the seller. :mrgreen:

I've decided to clean the 6,3 eyepiece and it turned out that most of the dots are gone now, it seems quite usable. So I sent him an offer for a partial refund of 30$ which is half of money. This way I save myself from the hassle of going to the post office (10$ worth of my time) and I have 3 toys of which one is OK (10$) and 2 aren't (5$ each), tubes or bottom glass can be used for something maybe a new phase telescope... :shock: or I can try repairing, which is also fun.

Last but not the least, I can always sell them on eBay... :D :D