Kruss microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
imkap

Kruss microscope

#1 Post by imkap » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:37 pm

This is for sale locally it says A. Kruss, I might get it for 100€ or maybe less it is close to my house so can inspect... Thought it might be fun to tidy it up a bit, compare with my GFL and maybe sell later. Do you think it is worth my time?

Didn't find much info on Kruss brand microscopes, I found their website they still sell microscopes and apparently they have a great history, but not sure if the present is up to it... They have a different logo now, so I guess this one might be 10-20 yrs old.

Thanks

zzffnn

Re: Kruss microscope

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:58 pm

That looks like an Olympus clone; though I am not sure. The objectives on it don't seem better than common Zeiss long ones; maybe worse.

I think your current Zeiss GFL would be easier to upgrade or modify.

Do you have a compelling reason to use / buy that one, over your current Zeiss GFL?

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:06 am

Sorry you misunderstood me, I should have been clearer... I wouldn't buy this instead of my GFL. I love it and still am far from outgrowing it, if ever...

I just thought it might be fun to compare as I've never looked into any other microscope except from my GFL and some turbo professional 5000-10000$ Olympus in my friends lab. :D

Just not sure if it is just another Chinese rebrand or it is a step higher... So before going to see it, maybe know a few things. I thought if I get it cheap and it is functional I might have some fun cleaning it, learn a thing or 2 and sell it for a bit more and have some money for a Stereo scope I'd like to buy...

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:09 am

The Kruss microscope in the photo appears the same as in the Youtube video clip about how to start and use a Kruss microscope. Looks like a current model. Reminds me of the Cambridge Galen III microscope. Does it have a turret condenser ? phase contrast ? Kohler illumination ?

Although comparing images from different microscope is a fun exercise, one needs a reference slide for the comparison. Examples: A professionally made permanent slide of stained tissue, a diatom test slide, a stage micrometer slide (the latter is the cheapest of them and often adequate).
A good test slide would be an advantage during the pre-purchase inspection of the microscope.

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:46 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:09 am
The Kruss microscope in the photo appears the same as in the Youtube video clip about how to start and use a Kruss microscope. Looks like a current model. Reminds me of the Cambridge Galen III microscope. Does it have a turret condenser ? phase contrast ? Kohler illumination ?

Although comparing images from different microscope is a fun exercise, one needs a reference slide for the comparison. Examples: A professionally made permanent slide of stained tissue, a diatom test slide, a stage micrometer slide (the latter is the cheapest of them and often adequate).
A good test slide would be an advantage during the pre-purchase inspection of the microscope.
I didn't go to see it yet, the images in the ad are bad, the condenser is covered with foil so can't see what kind it is... I think I might go see it these days if I have time, still not sure if I want :mrgreen: ... The objectives might be plan, they made them look similar to Olympus too.
I've searched for Cambridge galen iii and they do look quite similar...

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:01 am

They have or used to have a good reputation in the gemological space from what I have heard from years past. I have seen them presenting stereo microscopes at the Tucson gem show, but it was just a selection of models you can see on any given Alibaba page or other Chinese outlet, basic stands with your classic cheapest Meiji-alike heads. They tried to tell me the shells were made in China but the optics were all German which I will let you decide on the likelihood of.

Alexander

#7 Post by Alexander » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:30 am

They just re-brand the usual Chinese stuff like all the others like Amscope, Swift, Euromex, Bresser, you name it. Based on their good reputation from the past they tend of ask somewhat higher prices.

Phill Brown

#8 Post by Phill Brown » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:46 am

Not sure what will be learnt is worth €100, could get some nice slides for that.
Local school ditched 10 chinascopes for £10. They where all complete but needed work.
Would have filled the boot of my Volvo, could have doubled my collection but still don't regret leaving the sorry mess for someone else.

imkap

#9 Post by imkap » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:25 am

:D

I'll pass then. Thanks everyone for the info...

MicroBob

#10 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:19 pm

Krüss has a different market than Bresser, Amscope and other importers, they sell mainly to companies and institutions not so much to individuals. So they probably have a better quality control and service. The microscope model is probably quite usable, but I see no use in buying it when a GFL is available. It will not extend the opportunities and doesn't have much resale value. A Zeiss Standard Junior in military box or a lightweight KF2 would be a nice addition for holiday use.