Adding Darkfield to Old Zeiss Standard; Possible?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Sure Squintsalot

Adding Darkfield to Old Zeiss Standard; Possible?

#1 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:57 pm

I'd like to add darkfield capability to my old Zeiss Standard Field Microscope:

Unfortunately, that condenser doesn't leave a lot of room for options. There's a pivot-out polarizer in the condenser that I'd rather not remove.

If there's a darkfield-capable condenser that can be slipped in in lieu of the existing condenser, I'd like to know about it!

Any ideas?

Hobbyst46

Re: Adding Darkfield to Old Zeiss Standard; Possible?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:55 am

Turret phase contrast condenser Cat . 465277 includes a DF position that gives nice DF with low-mag dry objectives. The condenser must be oiled to the slide bottom for that purpose.
The Ph3 port of the various turret phase contrast condensers gives acceptable DF with the 6.3X and 10X objectives. Maybe 16X too.
I have played with self-made DF stops in the filter tray under the condenser, to no avail.

Sure Squintsalot

#3 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:58 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:55 am
Turret phase contrast condenser Cat . 465277 includes a DF position that gives nice DF with low-mag dry objectives. The condenser must be oiled to the slide bottom for that purpose.
So, effectively, I'd have to oil that turret condenser to the bottom of my slide for all DF, if I'm reading that correctly....right?

Thanks for the advice, BTW!

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:37 pm

Sure Squintsalot wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:58 pm
Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:55 am
So, effectively, I'd have to oil that turret condenser to the bottom of my slide for all DF, if I'm reading that correctly....right?

Thanks for the advice, BTW!
Not for all DF. For DF based on the D port of the condenser (D means Dunkel, dark). DF can be achieved with the Ph3 port without oil. It is not as nice, but adequate.

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:46 pm

Can you take a photo showing your condenser holder? It appears you have a Zeiss Standard Junior with a slip in through the bottom condenser and does not fit the slide it from the top condenser. You would need to find a compatible slip through the bottom condenser with filter carrier.