Any risk to open a Leica M420 in order to clean inside optics?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Milou

Any risk to open a Leica M420 in order to clean inside optics?

#1 Post by Milou » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:47 pm

Hello,
As I've just got "at least" this very desirable macroscope Leica M420 with an Apozoom, I would like to clean inside optics, as some dust or tiny bit of dirt appear when observing items with a closed diaphragm!

When removing the zoom and looking through diaphragm inside the macroscope, I can already see that bottom optics is not clean......
But I would prefer to disassemble the lower part under the macroscope with male dove (hold by 3 screws) as I would not to damage diaphragm by cleaning through it!
Any risk to take off this part?

I've already cleaned accessible prism top by removing the cap with phototube

But I would like to know if it is possible to disassemble the macroscope front part with eyepieces tubes (hold by 3 screws)?
Any risk to take off this part?

Anybody already have had to clean inside optics of such a M420 macroscope (or a M400, M450)?
Thank you for your help

Scarodactyl

Re: Any risk to open a Leica M420 in order to clean inside optics?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:06 pm

Congratulations! That's a great get.
Opening the apozoom is a no-go, but the head isn't too bad. It's easy to get the top shell off anyway, I am not sure about the bottom off the top of my head. On the M420 removing the front plate after unscrewing the oculars is also fine as far as I remember. It's bot as bad as a stereo since you don't have two light paths to worry about.
Don't sweat it too much because worst case you can get another macroscope head not too expensively or attach the apozoom to a Nikon infinity head instead--it would need jerry-rigging to put it on a focus mount but nothing insane.

Milou

#3 Post by Milou » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:19 pm

Thank you Scarodactyl for your answer.

I'll therefore try to remove front plate in order to see if cleaning is possible

I'll wait for other advices for bottom part, but by sure I'll not try to open the apozoom of which optics is very clear and clean!

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:20 am

Here is the service manual for M420: https://www.savazzi.net/photography/old-literature.htm

I have not opened up the bottom part of my M450.

Milou

#5 Post by Milou » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:53 am

Thank you very much for the very helpful link