Usin Mitutoyo objective on Olympus BHMJ

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Tailgunner

Usin Mitutoyo objective on Olympus BHMJ

#1 Post by Tailgunner » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:13 am

I have a Olympus BHMJ metallurgical microscope with trinoc port that uses infinity corrected objectives.
I have this one: ULWD MSplan 20x/0.40 na f=180

If I want to change this objective out for a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20x Objective with f=200, what would the implications be?

Would I have to change the position of the eyepieces or camera (phtolens) on the trinoc port to get a sharp image?

Scarodactyl

Re: Usin Mitutoyo objective on Olympus BHMJ

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:19 am

It works fine, but you'll need tp swap out the olympus eyepieces for nikons or (best) generic 10x/22s, and not use the nfk photo eyepiece. I ended up direct projecting onto aps-c but the tube lens in the illuminator made the extreme corners mushy. You could probably use a Nikon photo eyepiece to get reasonable results.

Tailgunner

#3 Post by Tailgunner » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:42 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:19 am
It works fine, but you'll need tp swap out the olympus eyepieces for nikons or (best) generic 10x/22s, and not use the nfk photo eyepiece. I ended up direct projecting onto aps-c but the tube lens in the illuminator made the extreme corners mushy. You could probably use a Nikon photo eyepiece to get reasonable results.
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you attached the camera to the trinoc port? Could you perhaps give mor info on the nikon photo eyepiece?
The way mine is set up is with a NFK photo eyepiece in an Olympus OM Mount Photomicro Adapter L.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:15 am

To be honest I don't remember exactly how I had it set up--I think I swapped the head to a nikon one for direct projection.
Nikon photo eyepieces are neutrally corrected. The Pl 2.5x is common but not very good because it adds aberrations of its own to the image. The later Pl 2.5xa is better, as is the PLI 2.5x (though you have to be sure to get the 23mm version). The distance to the camera is different so you'd need a different adapter.

Tailgunner

#5 Post by Tailgunner » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:40 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Could you explain why to swap out the NFK photo eyepiece?

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:20 pm

Olympus bh2 eyepieces apply corrections that are needed for olympus objectives. Mitutoyo objectives need no further corrections so the nfk eyepiece will degrade the image.

Tailgunner

#7 Post by Tailgunner » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:12 pm

Tailgunner wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:42 am
Scarodactyl wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you attached the camera to the trinoc port? Could you perhaps give mor info on the nikon photo eyepiece?
The way mine is set up is with a NFK photo eyepiece in an Olympus OM Mount Photomicro Adapter L.
Do you perhaps have a link to some generic ones. Been looking on aliexpress bu not sure what to get.

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:16 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273482756677
Note IXm assuming you don't have an ultrawide head.