american optical 110 with microstar head

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
maguee

american optical 110 with microstar head

#1 Post by maguee » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:19 pm

I have a new microscope coming to home.. (i understand, now, why some of you have a collection of microscopes...)

The trinocular head does not have the original aluminium tube, so i think that some DIY is required.

Any ideas? I would like to put a camera there in the future.

apochronaut

Re: american optical 110 with microstar head

#3 Post by apochronaut » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:56 pm

Be careful with those tubes.
I believe the image Mr. specialtymart is using for those tubes is of an original AO tube but his aftermarket versions are somewhat different. I bought a few several years ago and found I had to modify them in order to get good images. The original version from specialtymart produces flare and has to be flocked for about an inch up inside the tube.
AO solved that problem by leaving a lip at the bottom, which blocks the incoming rays from hitting the inside of the tube at the right angle to reflect into the photo eyepiece. Specialtymart's version does not have that lip. It is just blacked inside which doesn't work with oblique angles. It needs flocking.
Perhaps there is a generation 2 which has been modified , because I addressed the problem with him at the time and even sent him comparative photos taken with an original tube and his tube. Never heard back from him.

maguee

#4 Post by maguee » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:20 pm

That is very expensive for a metal tuve, the microscope is cheap. I will try something else, homemade tube.
Thanks anyway

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:44 pm

The length from the telan lens to the top of the tube needs to be the same as from the telan lens to the top of the eyepiece tube or 182mm.

Actually, his price is not expensive given that each tube is precisely turned from aluminum rawstock on a lathe. The bottom internal and external measurements need to be pretty exact and the upper i.d. as well. The design just needed modification to the bottom i.d.
I don't know how you could do them much cheaper short of getting them done by school children in Haiti , then smuggled to North America inside sugar cane and then shoved out the back door of the ASR plant in Baltimore after midnight.