Thinking about buying a Neophot 21, need information about it

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Topcode

Thinking about buying a Neophot 21, need information about it

#1 Post by Topcode » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:29 pm

I found a used Neophot 21 in a store, thinking of buying it. Its pretty beat up though, specifically the left side of it is a good bit messed up, and there's a lot of dirt on the exterior. However, 15 bucks is effectively nothing for an inverted metallurgical microscope, which looks at least partially intact. It only has one objective, an infinity corrected 50x/.9 gf-planapochromat, which is labeled with 0-c where I would expect cover slip distance, which may mean it has a correction collar? not sure, since I haven't bought it I didn't try messing with it to see if it does.
Here is an image of the objective, its dusty as hell, but looks free of damage, so some careful cleaning should get it in shape. Though since it is untested, it could have invisible from the outside issues.

Now here's the problem, I have been unable to find much information about this microscope from some quick google searches, and well I would have no idea how I would start with diagnosing and fixing the inevitably numerous issues. I am assuming that the left side handles illumination, but besides that I have no idea. I'm gonna buy it, of course, its 15 bucks, but after that I am kinda lost on everything. The most I have found is a pdf of the German manual, which references images that aren't in the pdf, so, that doesn't really help me.

PeteM

Re: Thinking about buying a Neophot 21, need information about it

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 am

This is a metallurgical objective meant for epi use and without a cover slip. Even if mounted on its stand or another stand with an infinity tube lens, it won't provide a good image for regular slides.

I have used a Zeiss Jena 50x no cover objective to look at smears (no coverslip) on Nikon Eclipse scopes. It needed a thread adapter and some machine work to get it parfocal, but did a decent job after that. It could likely work for smears on the Neophot, if you fixed them and put them upside down. Otherwise it's likely best to think of this as purely an epi/metallurgical scope.

Topcode

#3 Post by Topcode » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:25 am

PeteM wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 am
This is a metallurgical objective meant for epi use and without a cover slip. Even if mounted on its stand or another stand with an infinity tube lens, it won't provide a good image for regular slides.
I see, so that ridged ring at its base is just to help with grip when screwing/unscrewing or is just cosmetic then?

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:29 am

Yes. That type of knurling is an especially common touch on metallurgical objectives.
The -C means it requires compensating optics (tube lens/eyepieces not sure which), unlike -A marked objectives.

Topcode

#5 Post by Topcode » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:20 pm

Well, the main things missing seem to be the power supplies for the xenon lamp and halogen bulb. I also still have no idea how most of it is supposed to work but, those being missing specifically is an issue because I know nothing about their specifications, like why there are 7 prongs on the xenon lamp plug, when I would assume 2 would be sufficient, which leads me to think that its not just powering the lamp, but also doing other stuff, which I dont know what it is. The halogen is likely going to be trivial to replace, as its just 2 prongs straight to the bulb. Basically, I need whatever information anyone can provide about the Xenon lamp power supply. From what I have gathered, its supposed to be built into a desk which is supposed to accompany the neophot, but I dont have that, just the Neophot.

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:32 am

I suggest you ignore the Xenon lamp option, and concentrate on the rest of it.

They are expensive, short-lived, and hazardous.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:44 am

I haven’t found a downloadable version, but this appears to be the the document you need:

https://gandmtools.co.uk/product/carl ... 80214876/

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:59 am

On a happier note: the ‘scope obviously has great potential

[https://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_ ... n_Desk.htm
Too many 'projects'

Topcode

#9 Post by Topcode » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:00 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:32 am
I suggest you ignore the Xenon lamp option, and concentrate on the rest of it.
That's fair, to be honest I should probably replace the lighting with LEDs anyways, the thing could use some modernization, given it is 40 years old.

And yeah, it definitely does have some potential, but Ive got a hell of a lot of work ahead of me to get it in good working order. lots of dust on stuff, which isn't helped by the light path going through the air like, 3 different times. Thankfully none of the optical surfaces have any fungus as far as I can see, which is surprising given it hasn't been serviced since 2008.

Topcode

#10 Post by Topcode » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:40 pm

Well guys, I got it to work, well work is a strong word, its being illuminated with a milwaukee search light where the halogen bulb is supposed to go, which is not in fact the best way to illuminate a microscope. BUT, I get an image though the eyepieces, and that's just about all I care about right now. This is with my phone, and so its pretty shitty, but I'll take what I can get man.