Olympus BH2 versus BX series..how does one decide?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scoper

Olympus BH2 versus BX series..how does one decide?

#1 Post by Scoper » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:38 am

Deciding between the Olympus BH2 and the BX series..how does one decide which one to buy into?

Thanks

woyjwjl

Re: Olympus BH2 versus BX series..how does one decide?

#2 Post by woyjwjl » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:47 am

Expensive is good :?
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Scoper

#3 Post by Scoper » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:09 am

Lol…that’s not what my wife tells me!

Trying to decide which route to take…either one adds up to significant time and money.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Scoper, can we assume you already have a microscope rather than just questions about them? If so, what do you want to do that's proving impossible with the scope you've already learned to drive?

The BH2 is a fine microscope - reliable, well documented, and with myriad relatively affordable options. It's a wonderful first microscope and all that most of us might ever need or justify. One can get started around $300 and add phase contrast, a plan apo objective or two, a good camera setup, and so on as you approach and then pass $1000 in costs.

The BX will better suit a researcher who wants to reach the limits of optical resolution, perhaps far into the UV or infrared, work with live cells in electrophysiology, stack multiple imaging methods in infinity space, and so on. It can also be a better choice for a hobbyist who is sure they want to add DIC. DIC component availability is better with BX and costs are ultimately often about the same.

It can also be a better choice if you have discretionary funds and expect to buy upgrades for many years to come. BX scopes will be the predominant Olympus ones coming onto the used market from research institutions in the years ahead.

Prices for a used decently equipped starter BX might be around $1000 and conceivably approach $10,000. This could be a lifetime bargain with endless curiosity and discovery, especially if your other interests are along the lines of owning a big boat, flying airplanes, taking exotic vacations, buying fine wines at Michelin-rated restaurants, climbing the world's tallest mountains, gambling, or contemplating a divorce.

FWIW, a $1000 BH2 equipped with superior finite optics might well outperform a $1000 BX equipped with infinite plan achromats. Camera choice also figures into this. A BH2 is probably best paired with a full-frame DSLR or mirrorless camera. The BX will have 2.5x relay optics for full-frame imaging, but can also image directly to an APS-C sensor.

Tom Jones

#5 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:06 pm

What PeteM said.

In addition, the BX series is much more substantial size-wise than the BH-2, more along the lines of a slightly larger BHS. They are however, narrower in the front so your arms have more room on the bench. The BX-40s have 30 watt lamps where the BH-2s have 20 watts. Both the BHS and the BX-50 series have 100 watt lamps. The BX-40 does not have an interchangeable nosepiece, but neither does the BHTU. Nor does the BX-40 have an analyzer slot in the nose piece. The BX-50 series has both interchangeable turrets and an analyzer slot.

One point rarely mentioned, if you're going to spend long hours at the microscope, the BX design allows a more comfortable arm position on the bench along side the scope as opposed to up on the scope itself.

Another point in favor of the BX is that it's much easier to get a tiltable head that provides much better ergonomics than the fixed-angle heads on the vast majority of the BH2 series. Better to adjust the angle of the microscope head than the angle of your head. MUCH easier on your neck, particularly if you start to stack optical components to take advantage of the infinity BX system!

Also, the FN of 20 of the BH series eyepieces is smaller that the FN of 22 in the BX series so you get a wider field view with the BXs.

Things like DIC are easier to find for the BX systems. The power supplies are newer, so it's less likely you'll have one fail with a BX. Real POL accessories are about the same as far as availability goes.

The newest of the BX series is just an extension of the oldest BXs, so most of the newest optical components will fit the oldest of the BXs. So should you want to spend $10K or something like that for the latest UPlanXAPO dead-flat field objective, it will fit and work just fine on a BX. Not so the BH scopes.

I have both. I use BHTUs for outreach because they're bullet-proof, damn nice scopes, and relatively easy to transport. I have a BHS with DIC sitting not too far away right now, and just bought another one with fluorescence from a friend who removed it from his clinical lab. I also have BX-50s and a BX-60 with all the bells and whistles.

I like them all, but if I had to go with only one it would probably be a BX-50. Maybe the -60 due to the versatility. But the -60 is a big, heavy monster, much more than the -50. And the head sits about 2" higher due to the thicker arm.

In the long run, the BX-50 is going to cost somewhat more, but it will be more versatile. I wouldn't get a BX-40 if I was considering expanding into DIC and the like at some point. The lack of a slider slot, which can be mitigated with a rare adapter, and the 30 watt lamp are the limiting factors for me.

woyjwjl

#6 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:14 am

This is indeed a topic about marriage......

For me, placing it on the living room coffee table and the vase together is the best choice to maintain family harmony, so BHS is compatible while BX is not......
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Macro_Cosmos

#7 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:17 am

It depends on what you want. If you want a first scope to mess around and then sell at a minimal loss, or even a small profit, the BH2 is pretty good.
If you want a petrography microscope, I would personally choose the BH2 because parts are cheaper. A BX petrographic microscope would run you half a grand, if not more. Those parts are ridiculously expensive.

If you want to add fluorescence and DIC, then go with BX because it will end up costing the same. Finite DIC parts are outrageously expensive, I have seen them costing more than BX with lacklustre compatibility.

For BX, you should aim for a BX50 frame. You can get UIS and UIS2 objectives, just make sure you bother to read the manual to ensure DIC prism compatibility. Do not fall in the trap of thinking DIC is the best.
If you want fluorescence, I would recommend a BX51. 3 filter cubes for fluorescence is not enough. BX2 line offers 6 and BX3 offers 8.

In the long run, you would be happier with a BX microscope. Parts are not cheap, but you can find bargains all the time. I have picked up many deals throughout the years as well. The benefit of this is that you often end up with surplus parts you can sell at profit to offset other components you truly want.
Additionally, many BH2 parts are compatible. You can use the BH2 condensers, adde/achr-apl/swing-out/DF/DIC-univ they all work. The BH2 condensers tend to have a slight yellow tint, maybe age? Does not matter.

Oh, and if you are crazy, there are always the AX70 and AX80 models.