RARE ADJUSTABLE ATTACHMENT FOR MICROSCOPE OBJECTIVES BASE

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
stjepo

RARE ADJUSTABLE ATTACHMENT FOR MICROSCOPE OBJECTIVES BASE

#1 Post by stjepo » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:36 am

Dear friends, as always I turn to your knowledge to find out information about these devices at the base of the objectives its name and in which microscopes they are or were used.
objetivos raros.jpg
objetivos raros.jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
On the internet there is little to say nothing except the image that I include.
objetivos raros 01.jpg
objetivos raros 01.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

Steve

Thank you

apochronaut

Re: RARE ADJUSTABLE ATTACHMENT FOR MICROSCOPE OBJECTIVES BASE

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:18 pm

On chemical microscopes met. microscopes and polarizing microscopes there were seldom revolving noepieces in the early days, up into the 1950s or even 60s. In order to speed up the changing of objectives a quick change mount was employed, each of which included centering screws so each objective could be threaded into the mount and then pre-centered in it's quick change mount. They had various names. I've seen stirrup mounts, akehurst slide mounts and even female to male R.M.S. mounts, which wouldn't be so quick. Baker used those on it's 1950's interference microscope. Most catalogue references I have seen called them centering mounts or quick change mounts or met. mounts or modified their technical style with quick change, such as quick change met. mount or the like. Microscope companies must have had jabber sessions trying to find their own name for the same thing. Spencer had a separable 10X objective while at Bausch & Lomb it was divisible.
There may be a generic term for those mounts but I can't think of it, if I ever heard it.

stjepo

#3 Post by stjepo » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:57 pm

You are a human VADEMÉCUM on knowledge of the world of microscopes.

Thank you very much for your help and thanks to it I have been able to learn more about these peculiar mounts for polarized lenses.
Attachments
objetivos raros MICROSCOPIO.jpg
objetivos raros MICROSCOPIO.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
objetivos raros 02.jpg
objetivos raros 02.jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:24 pm

Sometimes the objectives are very short, only about 1 cm. long. These were usually used when a vertical illuminator was placed between the objective and microscope body tube. Since the vertical illuminator increased the tube length, the upper part of the objective barrel which in the pre-plan era was empty in the short focal length objectives, was replaced by the depth of the vertical illuminator. This kept the microscope from being unnecessarily tall. You can see this feature to some degree in the ROW objectives. Some look a bit stubby. Perhaps their diascopic objectives were 45mm parfocal. I fon't know ROW very well. Some like Bausch & Lomb just had little button objectives but many were very high N.A. and fluorite too. Some companies just lengthened the tube. Reichert for instance maintained their 37mm parfocal objectives and increased the tube length to 215mm for the epi objectives, so all the necessary components had some room.

stjepo

#5 Post by stjepo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:47 am

apochronaut wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:24 pm
Sometimes the objectives are very short, only about 1 cm. long. These were usually used when a vertical illuminator was placed between the objective and microscope body tube. Since the vertical illuminator increased the tube length, the upper part of the objective barrel which in the pre-plan era was empty in the short focal length objectives, was replaced by the depth of the vertical illuminator. This kept the microscope from being unnecessarily tall. You can see this feature to some degree in the ROW objectives. Some look a bit stubby. Perhaps their diascopic objectives were 45mm parfocal. I fon't know ROW very well. Some like Bausch & Lomb just had little button objectives but many were very high N.A. and fluorite too. Some companies just lengthened the tube. Reichert for instance maintained their 37mm parfocal objectives and increased the tube length to 215mm for the epi objectives, so all the necessary components had some room.
Some look a bit stubby.
Very short 3 cm long and inside slider 1.5 cm
row 03.jpg
row 03.jpg (62.61 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Especially if it is taken into account that it is a100X n.a. 1.3
row 02.jpg
row 02.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

stjepo

#6 Post by stjepo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:50 am

This is the very oldest reference to this mounts that I have been able to find.
Attachments
row 04.jpg
row 04.jpg (82.74 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

stjepo

#7 Post by stjepo » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:02 am

More information
caratula.jpg
caratula.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Attachments
Páginas desdemicoscopesmicros00carlrich.jpg
Páginas desdemicoscopesmicros00carlrich.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 1395 times