Which scopes were these Nikon BD DIC objectives (infinite) used in? What turrets may they work with?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
lamor

Which scopes were these Nikon BD DIC objectives (infinite) used in? What turrets may they work with?

#1 Post by lamor » Thu May 02, 2024 4:10 am

I have some Nikon BD DIC objectives, infinite, like this one:
57_bf955114-d9fe-47c8-8604-6e09b108bb09.jpg
57_bf955114-d9fe-47c8-8604-6e09b108bb09.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Except mine don't have A on them and no 25x. The closest scopes.ive found are like this:

Nikon-Shopscope.jpg
Nikon-Shopscope.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 145 times
https://www.martinmicroscope.com/produc ... -dic-used/
And just saw this epiphot 300:

https://microscopemarketplace.com/produ ... zer-camera

Edit: oh, actually remembering thefl finite ones probably have a different thread than the cfi anyhow too

I'm wondering what turret that is, and which others may be cross compatible for reflected DIC? Are the older M plan labeled turrets, which I imagine are for finite bd objectives, compatible, or any other specifics on finding the right turret with some prisms for reflected DIC? Or other models that had these objectives in them?

It also seemed like the Nikon universal illuminator (?) From that era would work, but any caveats on it if I decided to try to clobber one together into say an Olympus bx with diy adapting, i.e. is the spacing critical to the objective from the illuminator or could I play around and make it work for reflected DIC? The thought was to try to find a turret that is compatible and make an adapter to be able to slap on the Nikon turret on a bx frame, just for playing around.

Thanks!

Scarodactyl

Re: Which scopes were these Nikon BD DIC objectives (infinite) used in? What turrets may they work with?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 02, 2024 4:43 am

These were used on Nikon infinity optiphots and inverted epiphots, and are still offered for OEM applications. They have m27 threads, they don't make m27 threaded nosepieces for the Eclipse as far as I know but they still offer some accessories for the infinity optiphot line. These nosepieces use the same dovetail as finite labophot/optiphots.
Extra spacing is fine for the illuminator but it matters for the DIC prisms. The 27mm thread is awkward, too big to fit into an Olympus nosepiece (they top out at 26mm) but it can be fit into a Nikon bd nosepiece (32mm).
I was watching an m27 nosepiece with a full set of prisms but it sold today :(
https://www.ebay.com/itm/226118744440 this is the right nosepiece but priced way too high.

lamor

Re: Which scopes were these Nikon BD DIC objectives (infinite) used in? What turrets may they work with?

#3 Post by lamor » Thu May 02, 2024 5:29 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:43 am
These were used on Nikon infinity optiphots and inverted epiphots, and are still offered for OEM applications. They have m27 threads, they don't make m27 threaded nosepieces for the Eclipse as far as I know but they still offer some accessories for the infinity optiphot line. These nosepieces use the same dovetail as finite labophot/optiphots.
Extra spacing is fine for the illuminator but it matters for the DIC prisms. The 27mm thread is awkward, too big to fit into an Olympus nosepiece (they top out at 26mm) but it can be fit into a Nikon bd nosepiece (32mm).
I was watching an m27 nosepiece with a full set of prisms but it sold today :(
https://www.ebay.com/itm/226118744440 this is the right nosepiece but priced way too high.

Ok sweet, thanks! I had added that one to the watch list just after this post by comparing the visual look of them just to see if I was barking up the right tree, so that helps. Also good to know it was too expensive without prisms. Dovetail info is useful too, as well as epi spacing being ok to be messed with.

Yeah the m27 are huge, I made an adapter quickly just to test (since I could make it beefy and block the bd ring behind it) despite being too wide and blocking other positions, just as a test.
PXL_20240502_051908726_copy_507x1131.jpg
PXL_20240502_051908726_copy_507x1131.jpg (68.5 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Tentative plan is to machine/print an adapter that would seat a Nikon turret. Then maybe make dovetail add on to my non-dovetail bx40 turret at the expense of a little bit of space eaten away for the extra material and swap between them. Or play with other options, but the idea is to work through possibilities.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 02, 2024 4:24 pm

They are good objectives so I'd say it's worth experimenting with.