Olympus BH-2 eyepiece question

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
wmodavis

Olympus BH-2 eyepiece question

#1 Post by wmodavis » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:13 am

My question on the Olympus eyepiece is about difference indicted by the model number.

For instance re the "Olympus WHK 10X/20 L & 10X/20L-H Microscope Eyepiece Pair"

What does the L and the H at the end signify?
Is it appropriate to use one L and one H or do you use two Ls or two Hs?

Any help is appreciated.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

lorez

Re: Olympus BH-2 eyepiece question

#2 Post by lorez » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:32 pm

The 10X/20L-H eyepiece has, or should have, a locator screw on the 23mm tube that will engage a notch on the non-focusing eyepiece tube of the body. This is referencing screw for occasions where a reticle is being used. The 10X/20L eyepiece should be used in the focusing eyepiece tube. Sometimes the locator screw is missing.

lorez

wmodavis

#3 Post by wmodavis » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:05 pm

So would you normally use one "L" eyepiece and one "H" eyepiece in normal use?
Bill Davis

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:31 pm

So would you normally use one "L" eyepiece and one "H" eyepiece in normal use?
If you have a viewing body with one focusable tube and one fixed tube you can use one of each eyepiece. Some bodies have two focusable tubes so the H (if it has the locator screw) does not work. You do not have to use one of each. Does your H eyepiece have the locator screw?

lorez

wmodavis

#5 Post by wmodavis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:05 am

I don't have the std Olympus eyepieces yet.
The scope came with something else but I have been looking at the Olympus ones and wondering about it for a possible future purchase.
Thanks for the help.
Bill Davis

Tom Jones

#6 Post by Tom Jones » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 pm

Bill,

If you have a trinoc head, the -H eyepiece also can be used to parfocalize the camera, too, if there is no reticle. Match the camera focus with the -H in the right eyepiece slot, with the locator pin in place so it focuses when you turn it, then focus your left eyepiece normally to match.

Tom

wmodavis

#7 Post by wmodavis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:10 am

Thanks Tom. Mine is a trifocal so I'll have to try that when I get those eyepieces.
Bill Davis

wmodavis

#8 Post by wmodavis » Sun May 01, 2016 9:18 pm

I received a pair of new to me eyepieces "Olympus WHK 10X/20 L & 10X/20L-H Microscope Eyepiece Pair" to replace the 15x Bausch & Lomb that came with. It was as you said Lorez and my scope head does have one focusable tube and one fixed tube and the H had the locator screw. I am hoping to install a reticule so we'll see how that goes. In the mean time I have been comparing the views between the 10x and 15x and there may be a bit of improved resolution to my untrained eye but wouldn't bet more than a stick of gum on which was actually better. I think the Olympus seems to have clearer optics by a smidge. Also the new ones allow better viewing while wearing glasses. I think that is what the "H" in the WHK means.

Been practicing making slides of various easily available specimens. So far have looked at my blood - live and also a stained smear, some yoghurt and some dirt from my compost pit. Have been able to see some little critters but with nothing of the clarity of Bill Porters beauties. Hoping to get down to the creek for more viewing stuff one day when the snow goes away. Though my Olympus BH2/BHT has a trinocular head I'm not ready to jump into photography as of yet. Have to keep working on mastering the beast under that peep hole first.

I have been able to make some visual improvements by 'Recognizing dirt and removing it correctly" according to ZEISS. Most helpful. I also think that with my bargain, 'parts only' pair made into one working scope came objectives not in sterling shape. But they do work and I'm up and running so to speak. Room for future improvement for sure. And I've observed that the jump from the 10x to the 100x oil is a bit much so hope to fill that gap with some decent in between optics likely even before upgrading what I have.

It for now...
Bill Davis

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Sun May 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Great! It looks like you're making good progress.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Sun May 01, 2016 10:27 pm

I am hoping to install a reticule so we'll see how that goes.
I have a cheapo Chinese no name eyepiece with a reticule that I pop in to measure what I am about to photograph (when I remember),
and then take out.
One uses a Stage Micrometer to calculate the value of the reticule's divisions for each objective.
I would find it most distracting to have it permanently in my everyday eyepiece.
You might want to consider purchasing an economical eyepiece with reticule installed as a more practical alternative.

Good objective sizes that give you a nice range are 4x, 10x, 20x 40x and 100x
You might even want to substitute the hundred for a dry 60x on the nosepiece/turret at some point.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wmodavis

#11 Post by wmodavis » Mon May 02, 2016 1:11 am

75RR - One of the things that I think will help me with this mysterious world is to be able to quantify the sizes of what I'm looking at. I had seen references various places to measuring reticules and it sounds alluring. Well I bought the new, proper oculars and so, as my wont is with so much, I took one of the old ones apart for a look see. In the mean time I saw this http://www.ebay.com/itm/19mm-Dash-Cross ... true&rt=nc on ebay and so measured the 15x ocular internals and found a potential fit. Not quite sure what the .0005L is but the 19mm will fit and will have it soon to try out. The price was right so I might, if I can figure out how to calibrate it, have about what you suggest. Have to look around for a stage micrometer.

I was thinking of a 60x or maybe the 40x. I'll be on the lookout.
Bill Davis

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Mon May 02, 2016 1:31 am

I looks like cross hairs with no calibration. I think you want something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Reticle-23- ... Swy5ZXBbkN
which appears to include both eyepiece with reticle fitted, or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscope-obje ... SwyQtVsa-t
just the reticle (I don't know if it fits your eyepiece or not.
To be useful, the eyepiece that is used with a reticle should be able to focus on the reticle.

Here are a couple of possibilities for an inexpensive stage micrometer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-01mm-Stage-Gr ... Swm8VUtzr4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscope-Stag ... SwFqJWlavD

Added later: If all you want is a rough estimate of size, you may be able to dispense with the complication of the eyepiece reticle and use the stage micrometer to measure and record the diameter of the field of view with each objective. You can then estimate the size of an object in terms of the measured field of view.

wmodavis

#13 Post by wmodavis » Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 am

Gekko - Thanks. Is the stage micrometer scale just placed on the stage and viewed then compared to the eyepiece graticule? I'm kinda new at this.
Bill Davis

gekko

#14 Post by gekko » Mon May 02, 2016 10:58 am

wmodavis wrote:Gekko - Thanks. Is the stage micrometer scale just placed on the stage and viewed then compared to the eyepiece graticule? I'm kinda new at this.
You're exactly right.

75RR

#15 Post by 75RR » Mon May 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Here is a fairly straight forward explanation. Most sites seem to complicate things unnecessarily.

http://www.microscope-microscope.org/ad ... ticles.htm
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

wmodavis

#16 Post by wmodavis » Mon May 02, 2016 2:49 pm

WOW! Thanks 77RR. That was very helpful. Excellent article for this here beginner.
Bill Davis