Amscope semi-plan lens help

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Dale

Amscope semi-plan lens help

#1 Post by Dale » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:29 am

I am considering a T530B which is listed as a semi-plan instrument, but the spec's
call the lenses only as achromatic. Does anyone have one of these scopes?
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

lorez

Re: Amscope semi-plan lens help

#2 Post by lorez » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 am

Hello group,

There is a current thread where I shared my opinion of the scopes regarding their relative quality. This scope would go at the bottom of that list for a variety of reasons. First, regarding your specific question, I would follow what the specs indicate and if they say achromat, which they do, that is what you will get. You can always call the company and ask for clarification. That would be much better than anything I may say. Second, is the eyepieces they are offering. Although they do not say, the 10X and the 20X are probably fields of 18mm and 12mm respectively. Smaller fields of view make it possible to use lesser corrected objectives and represent them as better objectives. For example, an achromat with a narrow circle of focus will look better if the field is smaller because a lot of the out of focus area is cropped. Third, and this does not really describe the quality of the scope, is the claim the company makes regarding value. I always wonder how anyone can sell a scope that retails for $2000 at a list price $899.96 and then discounts it to $499.98. Does anyone else wonder ?

The semi-plan objectives are an option for this scope but may add quite a bit to the final price. That price would cause me to consider a different model.

Best wishes,

lorez

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Dale, can't comment about that particular model but if you get it definitely upgrade to the PLAN obj's. The 10x WF eyepiece is good and gives good FoV. The 20x I don't know. My Amscope came with an extra set of 25x eyepieces and they are worthless.
I am pleased with my Amscope for the price. I have said before probably 80% as good as the Big Three for 20% of the price. JimT

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:20 am

Lorez, I did read your thread, and I believe the prices are just pure marketing. I have spent weeks comparing brands, spec's,
and prices. The Amscopes are in line with others. I have been communicating with them, and they state that the semi-plan
lenses fulfill the definition of that type of lens. The oculars are wide field. If I do not feel that I am getting a semi-plan view I
can return it. They do not sell semi-plan accessory lenses, so they go by what is marked on the box! So for an extra $200
I get the tri-head, semi-plan lenses, and Kohler lighting, or $450. The full-plan lenses are just too much.
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

The QCC

#5 Post by The QCC » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Dale:

Most consumer, student grade and many research microscope have Achromats objectives. Consider the Achromats as a standard microscope obj.
Achromats obj. are corrected for two colours while the more expensive Apochromatic are corrected for three colours.

Semi-Plan Achromats are corrected so the centre 80% of the field of view is flat and in focus while the Plan Achromats have 100% of the FOV in focus.

Semi-Plan Achromats are more the adequate for every day use viewing biological specimens. Semi-Plan Achromats are well suited to the 3D nature and position of the specimen on the slide.

If you are going to be using a camera to photograph your specimens, the Semi-Plan Achromats are artistically better than Plan obj. The specimen is the subject of the photo, not the background. The rule of thirds also applies to microphotography.

If you will be doing published research based on your specimens, I would advise getting a different microscope.