America Optical infinity optics

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
c-krebs

America Optical infinity optics

#1 Post by c-krebs » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:39 pm

Years ago I purchased a pretty nice AO 20. I have now perused some of the threads on the forum pertaining to AO (and some specifically talking about the AO 20). It's nice to see since these are really nice scopes and certainly can be a great value. There are some folks here that are very knowledgeable about AO, so I thought I would toss out a question for which I have never found an answer in AO literature.

I'm curious... what the focal length of the tube lens? Also, did it provide any additional chromatic aberration correction (or other optical "corrections")? I try to keep tabs on this info for most of the major manufacturers.

For example, my "tube lens" understanding is:

Leica: 200mm; additional chromatic correction
Nikon: 200mm; no correction
Olympus: 180mm; no correction
Mitutoyo: 200mm; no correction
Zeiss: 164.5mm; additional chromatic correction (but the Primo Star, made by Motic for Zeiss is 180mm and I don't believe has correction)
Meiji: 200mm; not 100% certain but don't believe there is chromatic correction.

There are obviously differences in mount (thread) size and parfocal distances. I generally try to use the manufacturers tube lenses with their objectives. But for some various purposes and unusual set-ups (where the mechanical differences don't matter) I've used Nikon, Olympus, and Mitutoyo objectives with either a Nikon tube lens, an Olympus tube lens, or a Raynox -DCR150 as a tube lens. The results have been great and I can see no ill-effects. (There is about a 10% magnification difference between the 200mm and 180mm. The Raynox is 208mm). I've deliberately avoided getting any Zeiss or Leica infinity objectives simply because the were designed to have some correction made in the tube lens. Certainly when used as intended they are exemplary!

I was impressed by the images from my AO 20, but will admit it has not been able to push the BHS with DIC and the Nikon MM-11 off of my work table :( . I am thinking of resurrecting it and trying to get a phase contrast condenser and objectives. So additional questions... which of the objectives for the AO 20 (brightfield) were most highly regarded. (Conversely, any of them considered "duds"). Is the #1240 turret phase condenser tough to find? The phase objectives?
Thanks

Charles

Re: America Optical infinity optics

#2 Post by Charles » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:22 am

Hi Charles,

There was a discussion around Feb about tube lenses:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2553
And from the below, it appears the TL is 200mm and are fully corrected.
apochronaut wrote:John; There are several infinity systems calculated by the various major makers. Some of the Chinese microscopes fall into place with some of them because they are made within a program, that also makes objectives for one of those makers.

The infinity systems sometimes have fully corrected images leaving the objective, just needing conversion from infinity to a convergent beam, in a telon lens.This is usually located in the base of the viewing body or head. Others, produce an infinity image that needs further correction in the telon lens.

AO/Reichert/Leica objectives are fully corrected and have a tube length of 200mm to the telon lens.
Olympus has fully corrected objectives and a 180mm tube length to the telon lens.
Nikon uses 200mm but there are further corrections in the telon lens
Zeiss uses 164.5mm and there are further corrections in the telon lens.
This is why the Zeiss Primostar with a 180mm tube length is left out in the cold, when it comes to using "real" Zeiss infinity corrected components . There is a very good chance that it's maker originally was contracted to make Olympus optics and Zeiss stepped in for a bit of the action at some point.
I have used an Olympus configured objective on an AO microscope and they are perfectly corrected. There is probably a 10% increase in the magnification but that's o.k.
My impression is that a lot of the Chinese infinity stuff are Olympus pattern, which is good because it allows for the possibility of upgrading one with genuine Olympus optics .
Is there a dealer you know, who would let you try out some objectives, to see how they work? You will get an image nontheless but if unmatched there will likely be lateral chromatic aberration to varying degrees and or lack of planarity.

The cheapest upgrade, condenser -wise is to go from an abbe to an abbe aspheric , sometimes called an aplanatic. If you are not going to up to an N.A. higher than 1.25, and this would imply fluorite or apo objectives, due to the D.I.N. specification, then there is no point in upping the condenser. If you check your dovetail or sleeve size, you may easily be able to convert one of the cheaper neglected abbe aspherics on ebay, quite easily. An achromat, with a low 1.25 N.A. is not that popular either, although they are rarer. I have seen them sitting unwanted, while people search for 1.4's. Another option is a .90 or .95 achromat, which are usually better than an oiled 1.25 abbe. The little bit of N.A. loss is more than compensated for by the corrected light and freedom from astigmatism ....and they can be used dry.

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 am

AO phase turret condensers were relatively easy to find not long ago, but lately seem to have become a bit scarce. I just sold the one extra I had to Rod like 5 minutes ago, have it in a box right here ready to blast off tomorrow (sorry). I haven't seen one on the 'bay in a while. Probably be a matter of doing the old AO thing of buying a complete stand, gleaning the goodies, and reselling the shucks.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:48 am

Hi Charles,

I will leave to others more experienced than I to comment on the technical and preferences, but as Kurt mentioned, I do have some recent experience in piecing together a phase system.

In my case, it is for a 10 stand perched atop an Ortho Illuminator. Kurt had told me a while back that he had a condenser in moth balls that he could part with. When I missed a complete phase stand about a month ago, I set about looking for the bits.

Over the course of about 4 weeks I was able to find 10, 20, 40, and 100x Phase Plan Achros. A combination of eBay and forum contacts. The last parts are in route as we speak.

So I think you could piece one together with some patience and networking.

Good luck with the hunt. I'll be watching for words and images.

Rod

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:02 am

Charles,

Any reason why you don't consider the 3 technically more resolving phase systems, such as Leitz Heine/Pv, Reichert Polyphos/Anoptral and Zeiss equivalents? Those are much more rare and expensive than AOs though.

I vaguely remember that Apochronaut has some AO Reichert infinity fluorite or infinity apo objectives, which seem quite rare. I could may be wrong though.

I have a cat 1128 AO advance plan achromat 40x NA 0.66 brightfield objective for sale for $37 shipped. It is pretty good, but I am not sure if it is the best AO ever made.

c-krebs

#6 Post by c-krebs » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:42 am

zzffnn wrote: Any reason why you don't consider the 3 technically more resolving phase systems, such as Leitz Heine/Pv, Reichert Polyphos/Anoptral and Zeiss equivalents? Those are much more rare and expensive than AOs though.
Answered your own question there Fan! ;) I like phase contrast, have used it in the past (Nikon), but I am not hugely enthusiastic about using it regularly for photography of the type of subjects I like. But every once in a while I wish I had a scope set up for it. I still have the Nikon parts needed, and a very nice Labophot sittiing around but lack the workspace right now. It is just that I really do like that AO 20, and every time I see it languishing in a box I get the urge to set it up again. There is no time urgency here, and I was simply wondering if the components were available (and reasonably priced) if I was patient.

Charles,
Thanks for the link to that older post, and the quote from "apochronaut". Our understanding of the other manufacturers tube lenses is the same with the exception of the Nikon CFi optics, which I am nearly certain do not do any chromatic correction with the tube lens. I'll need to ask him which AO stand he used to try an Olympus objective. I've never tried a 45mm parfocal distance objective in the AO 20 34mm parfocal stand, so I do not know if they will allow focus. Perhaps he used one of the last versions that had the 45mm parfocal distance.

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:47 am

Charles,

I have sent you a PM.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:43 pm

c-krebs wrote:
zzffnn wrote: Any reason why you don't consider the 3 technically more resolving phase systems, such as Leitz Heine/Pv, Reichert Polyphos/Anoptral and Zeiss equivalents? Those are much more rare and expensive than AOs though.
Answered your own question there Fan! ;) I like phase contrast, have used it in the past (Nikon), but I am not hugely enthusiastic about using it regularly for photography of the type of subjects I like. But every once in a while I wish I had a scope set up for it. I still have the Nikon parts needed, and a very nice Labophot sittiing around but lack the workspace right now. It is just that I really do like that AO 20, and every time I see it languishing in a box I get the urge to set it up again. There is no time urgency here, and I was simply wondering if the components were available (and reasonably priced) if I was patient.

Charles,
Thanks for the link to that older post, and the quote from "apochronaut". Our understanding of the other manufacturers tube lenses is the same with the exception of the Nikon CFi optics, which I am nearly certain do not do any chromatic correction with the tube lens. I'll need to ask him which AO stand he used to try an Olympus objective. I've never tried a 45mm parfocal distance objective in the AO 20 34mm parfocal stand, so I do not know if they will allow focus. Perhaps he used one of the last versions that had the 45mm parfocal distance.
I've done a lot of cross referencing of information, testing components and observing of designs and ever since AO purchased C. Reichert in 1962, there has been a reasonably consistent development of the infinity corrected system that AO introduced in the early 60's. Reichert followed suit beginning in the early 70's, although the Zetopan had excellent market acceptance as a 160mm tube microscope system and they clung to that, possibly longer than they should have. Between 1961 and the early 90's both Reichert and AO marketed both short bodied infinity objectives and 45mm D.I.N. infinity corrected objectives, as achromat, planachromat, planfluorite and planapo. There were also a few semi-plan, made in the Austria factory. One of these is notable, in that it was a single example of a specific objective that due to it's existence and the lack of any other , plus a need to fill a void in various model's systems, was called on to fill a number of roles. It therefore serves as one example where a specific objective crosses over several microscope systems. It was also used in at least two 45mm systems unchanged, except for being integrated with a lengthening adapter to convert it from a 34mm objective to a D.I.N. objective and later hidden in a sleeve with an adapter to be 45mm, as an option for a U.S. based cell analysis system mfg. The original objective, in it's 34mm incarnation was an option for the AO series 100 as well as for the Reichert Diavar 2, made in Vienna. What this indicates is that the Reichert infinity system and the AO infinity system were harmonious. Using 45mm Reichert objectives on an AO infinity stand, originally designed for 34mm objectives presents little problem. The 10/20 series has a rather long dovetail guide, for the stage, so it can be dropped 11 mm easily. This might cause a small problem getting certain condensers in and out but I usually unlock the stage and slide it up a bit anyway, to avoid scraping the top lens against metal components.
Then there are the planfluorites. I have seen two of the 100X 1.30. One, made as an option for the series 400, which was a D.I.N. microscope and another in the design of the later Polyvar objectives, also D.I.N. which did not have etching; they were paint marked, look very different but internally are identical.
So, it seems that the AO infinity platform, originating in the 1960's was the central pillar upon which , AO, Reichert and early Leica infinity microscopes were based. Later in the life of the AO and Reichert instruments, whether Buffalo or Vienna made, the name on them became Leica.
Leica , just as Reichert before it and then Cambridge is a name based on a corporate decision of marketability. E. Leitz, by the time of the takeover by Wild to form Wild/Leitz had clung to 170mm as an optical tube length for decades, unwilling to recognize it's obsolescence. They eventually adopted the WIld 160mm tube system. As a union they suffered from the onslaught of the recently emerged Japanese microscope makers and were in a poor financial state. I have heard , that bankruptcy was imminent. Merging with the also financially strapped Cambridge Instruments group in the late 80's was a marriage of convenience. There was a ready made infinity corrected platform on which to build and a ready made name on which to sell; Leica Microsystems, wholly cut away from the camera mfg. . It doesn't now matter, whether Leica Microsystems is in fact owned by a venture capital company based in Washington D.C. and in terms of ownership and connection it is completely divorced from Leica camera, it is a name that sells.
There appear to be two Leica infinity systems, the HCX and the HC. In literature, Leica states that the best way to make an optical system is to effect corrections at their source. This implies that the current HC objectives yield fully corrected images. This seems to be the design ethic that they inherited. The HC objectives all have large barrels and 25mm threads, primarily I presume to assist in the ease of providing very large fields. The first Leica HCX objectives were conventional 20mm objectives, some of the earliest of which were made in Buffalo for the Leica series 400 and 2000 and were essentially the older AO objectives with the Leica name on them. A long time ago, I had a conversation with a rep from Leica and he was indicating the usefulness of what he called the Buffalo objectives as replacements for Leica microscopes. Based on this I assume that the Leica HCX optical system is little changed from the original AO platform. It would make sense. If it worked and was in the system already, why change it? I don't know about the HC system but aside from the thread size and other refinements of correction commensurate with improvements of their time, it would seem likely, based on the literature that both the HCX and HC are fully corrected at source . I would be interested in info from anyone who has managed to convert an HC objective to be used on an older 20mm stand. It is probably little done but the opposite may be more common; HCX objectives on an HC stand.
I have read numerous times that the Leica tube length is 200mm. By extension does this mean that the AO tube length is 200mm? An easy way to find out is to calculate the magnification ratio using AO objectives compared to those from another system, such as Olympus, that do have a known tube length.
I don't have any Olympus objectives. I have tried one Chinese objective , that was designed for an Olympus and it seems perfectly compatible on an AO stand. As far as your AO 20 goes Charles, have you tried any of those AO objectives on your Olympus stand or do you just have the stand alone? As far as putting D.I.N. objectives on the 20, it doesn't seem to be a problem with AO/Reichert objectives. The head in the 20 is a little restrictive, in terms of the size of the field , with 19 being about as high as you can go but all of the other AO heads have the same dovetail, so if you wanted a bigger field, you could put a Microstar IV or series 100 head on the 20.
As far as the AO phase condensers go, the series 100 and 400 had the same dovetail. I'm pretty sure the Leica 2000 did as well. The 10/20 had a similar dovetail to the 160mm series 4 and the 15/35, that preceded the infinity era. Despite that, the actual 15/35 and 4 phase carousel is different, so the series 10/20 has a pretty unique phase condenser, incorporating the older dovetail with the newer condenser design. The model 60 may use the same one too, although I haven't looked at one but it makes sense.
Annuli are pretty much the same for all of the infinity scopes and if you found a condenser, and they are missing, some of the dealers have them in stock still. I am unsure of how difficult , it would be to convert one of the later condensers to a 20. Probably, just fitting a yoke from a later series would suffice. Since you have invested in Olympus, I am almost dead certain that Olympus D.I.N. objectives would work in the 20. Perhaps an Olympus phase condenser could easily be converted too.
If you do proceed and decide to go with an AO condenser, I would recommend aiming for the D.I.N. objectives, made for the series 400. Despite the fact that they were painted and often the paint is worn off, so they look tatty, there were significant improvements in achromats in the late 80's, through the 90's, so despite the newest AO 34mm phase objectives being good, the D.I.N. objectives are better.

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:45 pm

apochronaut wrote:.......I am almost dead certain that Olympus D.I.N. objectives would work in the 20......
^ If that is indeed the case, AO infinity scopes can obtain some new applications, by using modern Olympus infinity objectives. I would like to see this confirmed, if possible. I may buy an AO infinity scope, in the future, just for that reason (and maybe change to a wider 110 head to have a wider field coverage).

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for the complete explanation.. Very interesting!(to me anyway)!!....

BillT

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Fan.

To get any real improvement over the original 34mm advanced planachros, I would think you would have to shoot fairly high, avoiding the Chinese made "Olympus" planachros. Your dollar value, then starts to escalate and quite honestly, unless you are willing to invest in planfluorites and planapos, you would be better off sticking with the Reichert D.I.N. planachros. For what they are, those are very good. They are also quite inexpensive.
Last edited by apochronaut on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c-krebs

#12 Post by c-krebs » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:59 pm

apochronaut wrote: Using 45mm Reichert objectives on an AO infinity stand, originally designed for 34mm objectives presents little problem. The 10/20 series has a rather long dovetail guide, for the stage, so it can be dropped 11 mm easily. This might cause a small problem getting certain condensers in and out but I usually unlock the stage and slide it up a bit anyway, to avoid scraping the top lens against metal components.
Apochronaut,
Appreciate the detailed response. The little clip above was especially intriguing (and shows I should have pulled out the AO 20 and re-acquainted my self with some of its features before posting this). Since I have a some nice infinity Olympus 45mm parfocal RMS threaded objectives it presents some interesting possibilities. (Dutifully added to my list of things to try ;) )

I'll need to see where I read (or heard from a "reliable source") that the current Leica infinity does correction with the tube lens. I follow your "historical" logic, but these microscope chaps in Germany and Japan throw us a curve every so often. ;)

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Yes. They do throw curves. Apparently, Leica has christened the optical system that they inherited from AO/Reichert the Delta system, which reigned from 1991 until 1997. One might assume that, alpha was the 170mm tube and beta the 160mm Wild system. The infinity system that they moved into after 1997, the HCX system is claimed to be compatible with the Delta optics.
The current optics are the HC, system. I can find no claim of compatibility, nor is there any claim of incompatability, with either the HCX or the Delta optics.
Most of what they say about the HC system, could be said of any microscope optical system, balanced alignment , balanced fitting dimensions, etc.. I'm not sure what kind of microscope they think, others are making.

Here is their statement.

"The Leica Microsystems HC system (Harmonic Compound System) comprises the optical components that have been matched to each other for optimal image generation and are involved in the correction of the optical aberrations: objectives, eyepieces, tube lenses, adapter for camera and TV.

HC
The objective is included in the HC system.
HCX
The objective is also compatible with optics of the past (Delta optics 1991-1997)

The HC system ensures

balanced optical and mechanical fitting dimensions,
balanced alignment of all optical system components,
balanced, reliable technical solutions,
superlative optical performance with progressive manufacturing technology.

For the correction of certain optical aberrations, the microscope is considered as a whole system.
Spherical aberrations, coma and axial chromatic aberrations are best corrected at the place where they originate, i.e. in the particular component.
Lateral chromatic aberrations and astigmatism are corrected in parallel in the objective, the tube lens and the eyepiece.
The optimal image result is therefore achieved through the interplay of corrections."

I'm also not sure what they mean about parallel corrections. Some in the objective, some in the tube lens and some in the eyepiece, I guess but that sounds more like a sequential correcting, or are they meaning again, that the aberration created by a component, is corrected by the same component.

c-krebs

#14 Post by c-krebs » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:29 am

I had been under the impression that current Zeiss and Leica infinity objectives used chromatically corrective tube lenses. But I did not recall where I had seen this. A quick search found some references that seem pretty solid, but none are "from the horses mouth" (Leica). I could never suggest one method is superior over the other, but it does have implications if you ever intend to mix one brand objective with a different tube lens.

In recent years, modern microscope objectives have
their correction for chromatic difference of magnification
either built into the objectives themselves (Olympus and
Nikon) or corrected in the tube lens (Leica and Zeiss),
thus eliminating the need for compensation correction
of the eyepieces.
https://cw.fel.cvut.cz/wiki/_media/cour ... oscopy.pdf (Page 16. BTW an excellent PDF to read and have in your collection if you haven't seen it before)

Then, when the advantages of infinity-correction became too obvious to ignore, makers settled upon their own optical solutions. Zeiss chose to keep 160mm tube length and RMS mounting thread (now also offering M27 x 0.75), the same objective length as before and transferred their compensation from "KPL" eyepieces to the infinity tube lens. Leica did similarly, selecting 200mm as the tube length and putting their "HC/Delta" correction in the tube lens. Thus, Zeiss and Leica use "color-specific" tube lenses. Nikon and Olympus chose to use various threads and dimensions (Nikon 200mm and Olympus 180mm tubelength), etc. but achieve all color correction in the objective itself. Nikon and Olympus tube lenses can therefore be termed "neutral." Others also use the "neutral" correction, such as Mitutoyo, Edmund and Infinity Photo-Optical.
from http://infinity-usa.com/products/InFocus/ (about 2/3 way down page).

http://tinyurl.com/h7yg244

http://tinyurl.com/h6xsckx

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:23 am

I don't understand why the second reference , refers to HC/Delta corrections? Trying to read into what Leica is saying , I get that the HCX system, which isn't mentioned in your quotes, and Delta are compatible but the HC system may not be, although they don't say that exactly.
It seems, Leica may have changed direction with the 25mm objective range. You would think that they would make adapters available , so the older HCX objectives could be brought forward, if they were compatible.
I will be interested how the Olympus objectives perform on the 20. There will likely be some increased mag, but I would like to see how the correction towards the edges is.

apochronaut

#16 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Earlier in the thread, I referenced having used a Chinese made objective that was made for Olympus and that it seems well corrected on an AO infinity stand.
If, as I suspect, it has been built on the Olympus pattern, it should be a fully corrected objective and also have it's magnification adjusted for a 180mm tube.

It is a 60X and I usually use it only for a quick assessment prior to oil immersion. The contrast is mediocre and it's medium level achromatic performance doesn't really allow it's overall acuity level to be high enough for any serious use. Since I use it little, I have never really observed if it is in fact magnifying 60X on an AO stand.
If we take the AO/Reichert infinity corrected system, to be the Delta system that Leica inherited, then 200mm would be the tube length of the Diastar 420 stand, and that is also the tube length I have become accustomed to accepting for that system. If the system does not provide further corrections beyond the objective, then a fully corrected objective, such as one from Olympus would provide a fully corrected image but since there is an 11.1% difference between a 180mm and a 200mm tube the magnification of the 60X objective would in fact be 66.7 on an AO stand.
Using an eyepiece reticle and comparing it to my 40X planfluorite, which is a factory made objective for the system, it turns out that the 60X Chinese made objective is in fact magnifying, 67X. It therefore must be corrected for a 180mm tube. It seems ever more likely, that this objective has been built to the Olympus infinity corrected pattern and is also fully corrected for the Leica Delta optics system. This implies that the Delta system must utilize objectives that are fully corrected.
Another fairly implausible scenario is that this Chinese objective is built, employing the same post objective corrections as the AO/Reichert microscopes were employing but with a shorter tube length. There is some evidence that AO got pilfered by the Leica corporate entity and some Chinese optics out there might be copies of AO designs, probably purchased from Leica. AO did not make a 60-63X D.I.N. format objective, yet left a space in their cat.# scheme , for one. No doubt there were plans to develop one ,so a preliminary design could have existed. I can certainly understand why they hadn't produced it yet , if this Chinese made objective turns out to be it but there are Chinese objectives out there with suspicious specifications such as 40X .66 N.A., which point, albeit a bit obliquely to an AO origin.

c-krebs

#17 Post by c-krebs » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:25 pm

apochronaut,

Ultimately I suppose, what matters is the results you actually get. Which to me means if you have the bits and pieces go ahead and try it and see what happens... nothing to lose really. Where it is nice to know how the manufacturers did their optical trickery is when you are considering putting down money for a particular piece where the compatibility is otherwise unknown. For example, I use Olympus 160mm finites with the appropriate Olympus NFK corrective photo-eyepieces. Over the years I've picked up a couple of oil Zeiss Plan Apos (40/1.0 and 63/1.40). Both have a small amount of the dreaded Zeiss "delamination" but they still put out a stellar image. What is interesting is that according to the "book", the Zeiss chromatic correction is different from the Olympus. But I am very happy with the images (and I tend to be very attentive to chromatic aberration).

apochronaut

#18 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:02 am

Double + on that.
Chromatic aberration , as in the case of the aforementioned Chinese made objective, that is uniform across the field, drives me to distraction because I just keep chewing on how much better the objective could be but ultimately it is caused by the lack of correction in the objective design, and all achromats are prone to that to varying degrees.I guess that is why, I seldom use achromats , if I can avoid it. I don't have a lot of choice, when it comes to 3mm( approx. 60X) objectives. The only 3mm objectives , in the group that I search are glycerin and oil immersion, with irises, so IF I can find them I can expect to likely pay. Reichert produced an older short bodied, semi-plan , and when coupled to an 11mm adapter, it is quite parfocal with the other AO/Reichert D.I.N. objectives. It has much to rave about, for an achromat, on axis and for about 50% of the field but off axis it's curvature of field overrides it's superior central performance to the Chinese objective, so I guess flatness of field wins out, in this case for me.
I don't use a program to correct for chromatic aberration and lately I have been shooting straight to sensor, so I am also sensitive to it , although I accept that off axis, with older objectives, it is easy to exceed the corrected f.o.v. with some otherwise well corrected objectives, with some eyepieces or photo lenses.

Yann E.

#19 Post by Yann E. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Charles wrote:Hi Charles,

There was a discussion around Feb about tube lenses:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2553
And from the below, it appears the TL is 200mm and are fully corrected.
apochronaut wrote:John; There are several infinity systems calculated by the various major makers. Some of the Chinese microscopes fall into place with some of them because they are made within a program, that also makes objectives for one of those makers.

The infinity systems sometimes have fully corrected images leaving the objective, just needing conversion from infinity to a convergent beam, in a telon lens.This is usually located in the base of the viewing body or head. Others, produce an infinity image that needs further correction in the telon lens.

AO/Reichert/Leica objectives are fully corrected and have a tube length of 200mm to the telon lens.
Olympus has fully corrected objectives and a 180mm tube length to the telon lens.
Nikon uses 200mm but there are further corrections in the telon lens
Zeiss uses 164.5mm and there are further corrections in the telon lens.
This is why the Zeiss Primostar with a 180mm tube length is left out in the cold, when it comes to using "real" Zeiss infinity corrected components . There is a very good chance that it's maker originally was contracted to make Olympus optics and Zeiss stepped in for a bit of the action at some point.
I have used an Olympus configured objective on an AO microscope and they are perfectly corrected. There is probably a 10% increase in the magnification but that's o.k.
My impression is that a lot of the Chinese infinity stuff are Olympus pattern, which is good because it allows for the possibility of upgrading one with genuine Olympus optics .
Is there a dealer you know, who would let you try out some objectives, to see how they work? You will get an image nontheless but if unmatched there will likely be lateral chromatic aberration to varying degrees and or lack of planarity.

Sorry to revive an old thread, and pardon me for being a little dense but does this mean that I could mix ANY combination of Leitz, Leica (same brand, I know, but not the same era), AO & Reichert RMS-thread infinity corrected objectives and have no compatibility issues aside from the possible need to raise or lower the stage depending on wether I use 34mm or 45mm objectives ?
The receiving microscopes would be my Leitz Orthoplan or a friend's Ortholux-II, both fitted with the BF ∞ epi-revolver (also suitable for transmitted light with ∞ objectives).

Good day to all,
Yann
You can only die once, but you'll enjoy it for a lifetime...

apochronaut

#20 Post by apochronaut » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:58 pm

The incident illuminated infinity corrected optics of an Orthoplan or Ortholux might entail some extra corrections somewhere, that would not necessarily be compatible with those of the short objective AO incident optics. I don't know about that. Easy way to tell would be to pick up a cheap AO EPI objective and see.
It's a bit of a confusion to say that Leitz and Leica are the same company. There was a clearly agreed upon appearance of continuity , that was required when Leitz gave way to the corporate entity Leica for Leitz , as far back as the late 80's had given way to being a manufacturing facility for a conglomerate that first was controlled by Wild and later by the Cambridge - Wild/Leitz. The early 2 phases of Leica infinity optics were derived from the second phase AO computations, dubbed the Delta optics with Leica.
Fitting the AO, Reichert, Cambridge, Leica Delta or Leica HCX D.I.N. objectives to the older Leitz bodies would be guesswork and the success unlikely.

The shorter AO infinity objectives have a slightly different computation than the D.I.N. optics , mentioned above. They can be interchanged but only if the head or the telon lens in the head is also interchanged. I use Reichert D.I.N. optics in an earlier AO stand but since the dovetail is the same on all the AO infinity corr4ected stands, it is a simple matter to use a 400 series head on an earlier stand.
Not sure how this would all play out with an Orthoplan or Ortholux stand.