Metallurgical microscope for using with a laser

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Jane

Metallurgical microscope for using with a laser

#1 Post by Jane » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 pm

We would like to buy
a metallurgical microscope or a microscopic unit with a laser port and Manual /Power turret.
And also M PLAN APO objectives magnification 5, 10 20 and 50.

We need to use them together with YAG laser (wavelength 1064nm, 532nm) for cutting, trimming, repair and marking of IC wiring (Au, Al),
removing and processing thin-film (insulating film) and repair of color filters (defects repair).

Can anyone suggest a such microscope or give any clue where to search for a such microscope?Thank you

apochronaut

Re: Metallurgical microscope for using with a laser

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:59 pm

There have been a lot of Reichert Polyvar met microscopes coming on the used market over the past 5 or more years. These were often fitted with met planapos and used widely in the electronics industry. The objectives are constantly on ebay,sometimes the stands too. I am not sure about their potential for focusing a laser. If you are intending to use the microscope to focus a laser, the objectives have to be specialized for that application, due to the heat. Most of the main microscope companies have made objectives for laser guidance .

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:03 am

Hi Jane,

South Optics might have what you are describing:
http://www.southoptics.com/website/wbsA ... pssid=7%3E

Jane

#4 Post by Jane » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:42 am

@apochronaut:Can you please explain a little more how laser guidance for objectives works?

I have never heard about Reichert Polyvar microscopes.What kind of scopes are those?

@Charles: Thanks for the link.Yes, I know that solution by Mitutoyo but quite expensive if bought brand new :-(

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:19 am

Microscope objectives are sometimes used for precise laser delivery. I was guessing, that was your intention.

Here is a link to an ebay sale for a TIC-POLYCON http://www.ebay.ca/itm/REICHERT-TIC-POL ... 41.l6368on, which was a slightly later version of the Polyvar. This one has mostly plan fluorite objectives but having used the biological plan fluorites as well as the planapos; there is little difference.

and to a company specializing in laser microscopes http://www.haaslti.com/laser-components ... ender.html

Oktagon

#6 Post by Oktagon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 pm

You are looking for highly specialized and rather expensive instrument. Laser cutting and welding microscopes tend to runner $$$$$$ and used are still $$$$$. I would go to a supplier who is specialyzing in microscopes for wafer cutting and other applications in semiconductor industry. I would not just buy second hand scope and hook Yag laser to it. The alignment is critical. I used laser cutting scope with micromanipulator in my post-doc to work on cells, and those things are very expensive any pretty finicky even to room humidity.